Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2003, 11:59 PM   #1

Question Thinking about Argosy

Hi all,
Im new to the list and had a few questions. I am thinking about buying an Argosy trailer. The one Im looking at is $2000. I looks like it is in good condition, but I dont know what year it is. It has a rear bath, a couch on the door side, a closet set up and galley on the road side and a dining table in the nose of the trailer. It also has two axles and air conditioning. I might be able to get it for a grand. Is this a good price for what I am describing?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2003, 05:53 AM   #2
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
It would take a little more info from you to really make a informed opinion.
The year it was built and the size of it is important.
I think most of the AS/Argosy models with the couch on the side were all 24' or less.
But if the appliances all work and there are no big dents in the outside skin and the floor is not rotted here and there $2000 sounds like a pretty good price to me.
If you got it for a grand you might consider going to confession for stealing it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:54 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Have you checked it out to see if any of the stuff in it is working? Things like refrigerators can be expensive to replace. What are you going to tow it with? How big is your family, or will it just be you camping in it? What will you use it for? If you plan to go to lots of state parks, smaller is better as some have limits, but now most welcome even big trailers.

If it's in good shape and fits your needs it sounds like a deal to me. Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thinking about Argosy

It almost sounds like you are looking at a 24' rear entrance (entry door to rear of axles) from the mid-1970s. This was a relatively unsual trailer - - it seems to be somewhat less common than the front entry that has a floorplan resembling the Airstream TradeWind.

Even if it isn't one of the rear entrance 24's, it could still be counted among some of the other less common Argosys. It could be a Minuet from '77, '78, or '79. The Minuet is an interesting trailer due to the fact that it is 6" narrower than the standard Argosys and was available in three lengths (20', 22', or 24') with the two shorter versions being single axle and the larger being a tandem. In addition, the Minuet often featured experimental features found only in the Minuet - - for instance a number of the 6.0 Metre (20') rigs have an aluminum composite floor - - so they avoide the dreaded wood rot, but gain the question of what floor covering to use if you don't want carpeting.

If you find that all systems are working and the floor is solid, the price you mention is well within the averages. Just be prepared that even if all systems are operational at this time that they may begin failing at any time - - my Argosy has been fairly typical in that regard - - in the past year (since purchase) it has needed a new water heater, Univolt, and water pump. The major expense - - the refrigerator continues to operate, but I am prepared that it too will eventually wear out and need replacement.

You should be able to get most of the information about the trailer from the data plate that is attached to the front panel (behind and to the side of the propane tanks). The VIN number should be arranged something along the following lines:

20D8V 1666

20 = the length measured in feet
D = bed arrangement (D=Doubble/T=Twin)
8 = last digit of model year (1978)
V = Versailles, OH assembly plant
1666 = Sequential production number

For more information on the Minuet thread, see:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?threadid=2087

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

I agree with the former posts. If all looks in order then it sounds like a great deal.
Where in Washington State is it located? I'm from Poulsbo and own a 6 meter minuet. If it's close enough I'd take a look at it with you. Or you could email some pics for my two cents worth.
Let me know and good luck.
Eric
ericandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Thinking about the Argosy

We have been down this road recently. We have a 22' 1978 Minuet. Make sure that you check out the underside as well. Particularly the torsion/suspension system. It makes for a great ride when it is working right. But when it is worn out and sagging requires a new axle (or two?). If it is a torsion type it should have a positive angle somewhat below horizontal. (35 degrees when unloaded and new) as we understand it. Ours was a "lowrider" in that department. It has many small problems. Mostly from lack of use in recent years. So far they have been pretty easily fixed. Cleaning thermocouple ends, burner orfices, and tightening clamps etc. The price sounds good. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote