Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
That's pretty awful, however, you are handy and talented, saving yourself a huge sum on labor. Quite the puzzle. Looking forward to updates!
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
This weekend was about securing the belly pan and stripping paint. I was working on the belly pan and the Warden was stripping paint. I had planned on using the old pan as a template for all the rivet holes but most were corroded to the size of a dime so I had to come up with a different approach. At the end of the day the pan was secured to most of the cross members with large head pop rivets from Vintage Trailer Supply. I planed on using the old pan to make the side skirts but I may end up ordering some new aluminum to do the job after looking at the condition of the old pan. As for my stripper she won't let me post any photos of her because she looks like an extra from a Mad Max movie trying to avoid too much sun. Like I listen.

[IMG]20180705_175417_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]pan rivets2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

While I said I was done taking the camper apart, there are still a few items like awning and the upper belt trim that had to come off to keep the Warden happy. When we pulled the orange insert off it exposed 41 years of crud. We could grow potato's in that stuff.

[IMG]40 years of grim by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
We got quite a bit of paint removed and uncovered a few hidden secrets. Let me rephrase the last sentence. My wife has been stripping in the back yard. No, let me try again. My lovely wife has been kind enough to work at removing paint from the exterior.
[IMG]20180710_122540_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20180710_122552_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update and new photos. Some strip show you have going on there, if I caught your drift!

On the left rear corner panel, is that Bondo or some other patching material, which was hidden under the paint that just came off? Secrets indeed. Or maybe the plastic sheeting is just holding on additional stripper to keep it from sliding down?

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
It is bondo, uhg. that back corner was repaired and then damaged again. Not only that but the back half of the lower street side has a cover panel hiding some secret. From the inside there isn't any evidence of damage unless you look real close at where the sides attach to the rear segments. Apparently the back street side corner was replace at some point, both lower and upper segments. Right now the plan is to metal work the bottom segment to take out the indentations and replace the lower street side panel with a new piece of aluminum. I have plenty of left over from the belly pan to make a new panel.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Well I got a little bit of work done this weekend, despite the weather. I started the gas plumbing and attached 3 of the stabilizers. The forth one is bent so I am trying to get it fixed before I install it. I got my new axles this week. I got them off loaded and and put the tires on so I can move them around. [IMG]doing the plumbing by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]new axles by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Putting tire on by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Getting ready to flip by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Oakland , California
Oh boy - this is sobering!

We found a very similar clean looking 22' 1974 Argosy online in FL - we are in CA, and now I'm pretty positive we can't buy it without an in-person inspection.

Anyone have any thoughts on how we can make that happen long distance?

Thanks!
Gather365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I replied to your post in that other thread, about locating an inspector:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...osy-79088.html

. . . in order not to take this thread off-topic.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is a portal (I think you need to be on the non app forum to find it) that had a list of volunteer inspectors in various cities.

We reached out to the local wbcci group by email and they sent an email out to their membership asking if somebody would be willing to do an inspection for an out-of-state person. We ended up with a lovely gentleman who was not an inspector but he was an Airstream owner and retired. He was a great set of eyes for us and was on the phone with us when he did his inspection then sent some photos.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Your wife is a keeper Eric 26 Argo. Nice build with the perfect helper
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
finished up the belly pan today and flipped it over with the gantrys. Sorry I didn't get any photos of the rotation, but I get started and don't think about stopping to take pictures.

Called my wife out to help me set it on the axles and after about 2 minutes of maneuvering and adjusting it was sitting on the new axles.

[IMG]20180725_195242_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20180725_195421_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great progress, thanks for the update!

Peter
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #33
New AS addict

1974 31' Excella 500
Alamogordo , New Mexico
I am newly inspired! We have our 74 31' Excella fully gutted with the double paned windows pulled, taken apart, cleaned, reassembled and reinstalled. Now we're planning seal the shell for leaks, replace the subfloor, check out the frame and outriggers and pull the belly pan if necessary....oh and one of the rear banana wraps was damaged when we lost a tire pulling her home. Your thread is awesome. Thank you for the information, inspiration and humor. All three are necessary when taking on this labor of love!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
So you have read my post and though, well if this Bozo can do it so can we. Well I'm glad I can help. Jump in there and get it done. Then you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of you labors.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Well I thought I would post an update on the Love Shack. Now that I am in assembly mode thing has slowed down a tad bit. Apparently it takes a lot more thought in putting it back together than taking it apart. There is also the issue of sourcing new parts and reconditioning old parts. Once the pan was on and I got the frame on its feet, I started working on the gray water and black water tanks and lines. After evaluating the old Thetford waste valves and pricing out rebuild kits I decided to buy all new Valterra valves and pipes. In the end it cost about $30 more to go that route and I will have piece of mind when I am done.

[IMG]new plumbing by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Of course I still had to deal with a bent stabilizer leg and lucky me I found one from a fellow Airstream owner. So a little elbow grease and Rustolium and one like new stabilizer. Thanks Sherry.

[IMG]Repaired Stabilizer by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

While I was waiting on plumbing parts I took the time to do some reconditioning of the front and rear C channel. The back one had several no factory curve that I had to fix with the judicious use of a hammer and dolly.
before
[IMG]c channel start by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
after
[IMG]C channel finish by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

While I was doing this we decided to have a couple of concrete pads poured in the back yard. One for a patio extension and the other will be the parking space for the Love Shack. This of course left me with some serious yard repairs as it had rained for a week prior to them coming out.

[IMG]yard work by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

So that catches me up to this week which has been a little slow but I got the Tow Vehicle wiring put in along with the brakes wired up.

[IMG]TV harness by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]TV wiring by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]Brake wiring 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Putting the deck/subfloor on this week end. I got most of the cutting done yesterday and today I will finish up the radiouses cut the plumbing openings and begin to secure it all to the frame. By the end of the day it may even be under the shell.
[IMG]deck1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

When I took everything apart I noted the subfloor was only 1/2 inch plywood which I though odd as most everything you read states 5/8 inch plywood. So I bought 19/32 inch plywood which is as close to 5/8 as I could find. When I tried to fit the C-channels it was a no go, so I broke out the power plainer and did a little modifying to get the channel on.
[IMG]deck2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]deck4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
. . .
. . . so I broke out the power plainer and did a little modifying to get the channel on.
. . .
Sorry if I am late to the party, but I hope you treated all the exposed plywood edges and veneer core with WEST epoxy [or equal] before assembly. The C channel may cause condensation which could wick into the innards of the ply. Is that A/B exterior grade or marine ply? PTS maybe?

Peter
Old 08-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Sorry if I am late to the party, but I hope you treated all the exposed plywood edges and veneer core with WEST epoxy [or equal] before assembly. The C channel may cause condensation which could wick into the innards of the ply. Is that A/B exterior grade or marine ply? PTS maybe?

Peter
Thought about it then decided Nope. Basic reasoning is the original floor was 40 years old, and I am 55 years old so if I get 20 years out of this build with decent maintenance then I am go and it will be the next owners problem. Of course I am doing everything I can to insure that water intrusions will not be an issue.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
This week end was a non stop Argosy reassembly weekend. Got the insulation on then the sub-floor and then mated the frame and shell.
[IMG]Wraps tied up by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Once the frame was buttoned up I moved it under the shell and after a lot of cussing and yelling we had unification
[IMG]Reasimbly by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Once it was together I looked at it and thought it should be bigger. Seems like a lot of work to get to this point and only have 26' of camper. Actually only 22' of camper the rest being frame. For this much work it should be 80' long and gold plated. Hey there is a though gold. Wally had a gold anodized camper, maybe I could paint it gold.
[IMG]The eagle has landed by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #40
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Thumbs up

Love the build thread. We are at the very end stages of rebuilding our 24 footer. You might see something you like in our build thread. Cork finish flooring worked well for us. Light, insulating, water resistant. We rebuilt the original water pump and I'm glad we did. Got the parts from a place in Florida.
Krypton fabric off EBay worked well for our upholstery.

You have a wonderful trailer going there.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote