Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
20+ hours is about 3 work days in a shop. You did great, in that case IMO.
[Edit -- no pun intended -- "that case" -- ]

At one point you guess-timated your total labor hours. Would you mind updating us on that? The other new thread on a similar Argosy, in which you just commented, might benefit from a labor update.

Thanks again for the documentation of your "top shelf" reno!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
So I watched a review of the 2020 Bambi and Caravel the other day and I'm thinking " hey they are stealing my ideas". They decided to go with a 12 volt compressor refrigerator on both models and on the Caravels they use the same Furrion three burner cook top and mount the microwave below it. But the joke is on them because I used a Convection Oven Microwave. So I can bake my biscuits in the morning, for biscuits and gravy and all they will have is a cup of gravy. Well at least I feel good knowing the folks at Airstream are reading my post.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Well the weather is getting better. So I got out and stripped the rest of the paint of the Love shack and even got primer on the back end cap. I also picked up some Kool Seal to do the roof for a little insulation and reflection. I will probably order some paint in the next few day and get ready to lay down some color as soon as the weather will cooperate.
[IMG]IMG_0110 (1) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image0 (1) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks for the updates, good progress!

Peter
Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Lake Wales , Florida
Just reread your whole thread to catch up....very very nice.....any thoughts on your exterior paint colors ?

We bought a 73 22' Argosy and was supposed to leave this weekend to spend two months working on it (trailer is at our friends in North Carolina) but because of this virus our plans have changed at least for the next few months
Kcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcdaniels View Post
Just reread your whole thread to catch up....very very nice.....any thoughts on your exterior paint colors ?
I am looking at trying to keep it close to original. Almond, probably.
Sorry that you are having to postponing your trip and work, it can be frustrating.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
ready to puke

So today after work I went out to the Love Shack to do a little 12V electrical work on the rear marker lights. In an attempt to save money I didn't replace the top marker light wiring. Everything checked out when I tested it for grounding but when I took off the old marker lights to replace them with new the wire insulation was broken where it went through the shell. Not that big of a deal other than removing the mirror to gain access and cut a hole in the interior shell. But it would be mostly covered by the mirror once it was completed.

Well that's not the part that makes me want to puke. When I plugged in my oscillating saw to cut there was nothing. After a few minute I determined the GFCI had trip and the circuit for the bath, bedroom and kitchen has a short. At that point I walked back into the house and poured a whiskey. Not sure how to handle it right now. Just sick to my stomach.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Love what you do do what you love.

I like, and am fairly good with my hands. That said full month has almost cut a finger off, sweat like a colt in a harem of fillies, and re write my finished timeline a number of times...starting with 18 months, now into 48...but have been oit west three times in old Carlotta in the 48....anyhow, the wife has no idea how much we ve put into the trailer, nor I how many hours, but she s ours and looks great !!!! Enjoy the challenge.
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
. . .
. . . After a few minute I determined the GFCI had trip and the circuit for the bath, bedroom and kitchen has a short.
. . .
Yikes!

Is that a GFI breaker for the whole circuit, and could the breaker be defective? I would swap in a new one before you barf or start drinking again.

Maybe one [or more] of the duplex receptacles is bad?

Hoping for a simple fix!

Peter
Old 05-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
So over the weekend I started some painting. First was the tongue. It got a coat of Metallic Rose Gold. That will be the color of the wraps as well. Next I put a coat of Kool Seal on the roof, and after several days and 1 1/2" of rain I finished up today.

[IMG]Paited hitch by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]painted hitch with jack by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Kool seal roof by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]image0 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Lake Wales , Florida
I like the color !....after painting the roof did you notice how much cooler inside ? I have a 26' cargo trailer that I use for storage and here in Florida it get mind bogging hotttt lol
I had some left over "Henry's silicon roof paint" and painted the cargo roof with it...I can't believe how much of a difference it made....
Kcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
KC not sure about a temp difference yet. I did have the AC on today and it was 90 degrees but the temp stayed around 80 in side the Love Shack. I started to think the New AC unit might not be working properly as it really wasn't blowing cold air, just kind of cool. That's when I noticed the temp setting was dead in the middle when I turned it to full cold it started blowing cold. I will check it out again tomorrow to see how it really works.

This weekend I finished my plumbing issues and got it all tied back up. Then I made a door wedge and fabricated some custom switches for the LED strips I put above the overhead cabinets. The touch dimmer switches are giving me a little problem. So I decide to put in a simple on/off switch. I also fixed my door handle so it now locks properly and operates like a new unit. I had to get a new detente spring for the lock as well as the interior lock actuator.

[IMG]Argosy door wedge by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]A switches by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice progress, Eric.

In general an air conditioner should drop the room temp about 20 degrees F more or less. In a 90F room, the discharge air should be about 70F in other words. As the room temp goes down, so too should the discharge air temp.

They make small digital thermometers, like the ones used by cooks, which have a small-diameter probe end which you can stick up in the A/C discharge louvers. Your A/C owner's may have some data for this "Delta T" temp drop. If the Delta T for your unit is not measuring up [down? ], you might need a service call hopefully under warranty. The refrigerant may need re-charging?

Also -- having 1-3 small fans inside, to distribute the air horizontally, will help IMO. As you probably know, if you can turn on the A/C early in a cool morning, you will be ahead of the game, for a long hot work day.

Sorry if all of this is just stating the obvious!

Cheers,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
Old 05-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #114
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcdaniels View Post
I like the color !....after painting the roof did you notice how much cooler inside ? I have a 26' cargo trailer that I use for storage and here in Florida it get mind bogging hotttt lol
I had some left over "Henry's silicon roof paint" and painted the cargo roof with it...I can't believe how much of a difference it made....
There was an experiment by a member here, can’t remember who, showing a dramatic drop in the temperature by simply painting the roof, regular paint. At one time apparently it was an option.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
What Was the Re-Volting Solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
So today after work I went out to the Love Shack to do a little 12V electrical work on the rear marker lights.
.................................................. ................
Well that's not the part that makes me want to puke. When I plugged in my oscillating saw to cut there was nothing. After a few minute I determined the GFCI had trip and the circuit for the bath, bedroom and kitchen has a short. At that point I walked back into the house and poured a whiskey. Not sure how to handle it right now. Just sick to my stomach.
Understand that some of us try to stay current on your project.
A few details please.
You are my hero for doing all this work.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
Understand that some of us try to stay current on your project.
A few details please.
You are my hero for doing all this work.
I haven't figured out the problem at this time I think I may have got some water on one of the outlets when I was pressure washing the paint and stripper off. After a week I went out to try and trouble shoot the problem and couldn't find any issues. Well that is what the GFIC was designed for and I guess it worked. We have had several terrible storms over the last couple of weeks and the problem has not repeated. At this point I will plan on staying away from pressure washers.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wink

Thanks for the update, glad you don't have to go backwards on this journey, to find a short buried someplace!

Peter
Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #118
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Got a couple of small projects done today already. Started with trying to massage the door into adjustment. Looks like I may have to pull it completely off. Just one question who in their right mind attaches door hinges with flat head screws. Well until I figure out how to get them out I will just move on to other issues. I cleaned the interior door skins and then re-screened the screen door. That was the last of the screen work hopefully.

[IMG]IMG_0163 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A quality hand-held impact driver, with the correct straight tip, will do those screws IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-7...0859774&sr=8-5

Good tools are expensive, but this one is nicely built, and well worth the investment IMO. Forget when I got mine . . . the 1970's . . . ?

I can still "see" the motorcycle I was working on.

You probably already know this, but when you are ready hit the tool, you can "pre-twist-load" it [my term] in the right direction, so that the rotational force reinforces the slight twist force you are already applying. If no joy with unscrewing . . . try a gentle whack or two tightening the screw . . . . . . yup! If you get any movement, try getting some Liquid Wrench into the slight gap, being careful to catch any overflow with rags/paper towels. That liquid is thin, and stains easily.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Plenty of cordless battery impact drivers too.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A quality hand-held impact driver, with the correct straight tip, will do those screws IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-7...0859774&sr=8-5

Good tools are expensive, but this one is nicely built, and well worth the investment IMO. Forget when I got mine . . . the 1970's . . . ?

I can still "see" the motorcycle I was working on.

You probably already know this, but when you are ready hit the tool, you can "pre-twist-load" it [my term] in the right direction, so that the rotational force reinforces the slight twist force you are already applying. If no joy with unscrewing . . . try a gentle whack or two tightening the screw . . . . . . yup! If you get any movement, try getting some Liquid Wrench into the slight gap, being careful to catch any overflow with rags/paper towels. That liquid is thin, and stains easily.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Plenty of cordless battery impact drivers too.

Just the right amount of information Peter. Definitely an invaluable tool. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote