Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Love the build thread. We are at the very end stages of rebuilding our 24 footer. You might see something you like in our build thread. Cork finish flooring worked well for us. Light, insulating, water resistant. We rebuilt the original water pump and I'm glad we did. Got the parts from a place in Florida.
Krypton fabric off EBay worked well for our upholstery.

You have a wonderful trailer going there.
Thanks I checked out your thread looks like you proceeding right along with your camper.
__________________

Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
Holly Smolly, I feel like I have entered a black hole and time is slowing down. Day 107 and I have the shell on so now I am technically in the build stage of this project. Now I am starting all the little reconditioning projects required in the build. Initially I was going to trash the old TV antenna and patch the hole but for some reason I decided to keep it and make it useful.

[IMG]20180903_201934_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

There are several items that need attention now that the shell is on. One is fixing all the leaks and getting ready to start installing the bath room. The sewer vent cover was in sad shape and an aluminum replacement was out of the question so I did a little fiberglass work and boom new-ish vent cover.

[IMG]20180903_201851_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other items I am working on are the tail light bar and sealing the opening to prevent water intrusion as well as rodent infestation.

[IMG]light bar stripped by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Sealing the cracks by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then there is the bad news. This is why you should use a knowlegeable inspector to look at your trailer prior to purchase.
[IMG]Road side wheel arch by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

What your are looking at is the results of a tire blow out repair. I could sit an complain all day about the fact that they made a comedic repair and now I am looking at replacing a full side panel, but hey live and learn. I have the aluminum left over from the belly pan so now it is about removing and replacing a butt load of buck rivets and pop rivets. Of course that isn't the only big repair. Looks like I will need to replace the front center panel as well.

[IMG]Front panell damge by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
__________________

Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,432
Thanks for the update, and a hearty "well done" on your efforts!

In the interests of highlighting your one comment below -- for the sake of other folks who are considering a shell-off restoration of an older Airstream -- I am taking the liberty of cherry-picking out this priceless piece of advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
. . .
. . . This is why you should use a knowlegeable inspector to look at your trailer prior to purchase.
. . .
Well said!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
fastrob's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 573
Living The Air Dream

Tough times indeed.
You could have done so many other projects.
IMHO you are doing a great job. You have a Wunnerful helper. And what a sweet trailer you are re-building.
We appreciate you sharing the trials and victories. Great strategies, excellent progress, you are inspiring me.
Thanks,
Rob
__________________
"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
Holly Smolly, I feel like I have entered a black hole and time is slowing down. Day 107 and I have the shell on . . .
. . .
Earth to Eric . . . are you receiving signals out there . . .

Wondering how it is going . . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Earth to Eric . . . are you receiving signals out there . . .

Peter
Peter I hear you 5 by 5

Work is progressing as time is available, and let's not forget weather. It is mid October and still in the mid 80's. Which wouldn't be a terrible issue if the humidity would go down. I have managed to get several things accomplished as I start putting it back together. I replaced that front panel so there is no more crack and no more water tank fill (for now).
[IMG]Front Panel 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Front Panel 4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also replaced the bathroom fan assembly with a modern unit only because I couldn't find the part to keep it original. The plastic fan and covers were completely deteriorated.
[IMG]Bath fan top by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Bath fan inside by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

One other item I worked on was the data plate and sewer plates. They had all seen better days and all the paint was long since faded. So I got the paint out and did some touch ups. Once they were dry I put some clear on to protect them a little longer.
[IMG]plate refreash by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

That brings us to today. Yesterday I removed the old patch panel on the road side to evaluate weather or not to replace the entire roadside bottom panel. After two hours drilling rivets out I decided that just replacing the patch panel was the route to take at this time with my time constraints and working conditions. At least I will be able to fix the wheel well arch so it is clean and looks close to factory.
[IMG]Patch removed by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I still have a number of items to complete on the outside before the interior starts to go back in. I have two Maxair fans to install, reinstall the rebuilt TV antena assembly, repair the A/C shroud and finish stripping the paint.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,432
Thanks Eric! Appreciate your candor and sense of humor, not to mention thorough work and helpful photos.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Seasons Greetings Eric, I'm not sure where you are in your project at this point, but I'm jealous of your progress. I'm rebuilding a 29' 1992 Excella and it's kicking my butt. Keep it up, you are doing some fine work there.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
Pete thanks. I have made a few steps forward but between work, weather, and deer season I have be otherwise occupied. I did get the AC cover repaired and ready for paint.
[IMG]20181109_165155_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20181110_150257_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also killed two deer Like my Argosy it was sweet and sour. The first one was recovered and processed. The second one took 10 days to find and feed a number of woodland animals
[IMG]20181103_134041_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0752 (003) by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
We have been struggling with a color combination for the Loveshack. The Warden wants a olive green bottom with cream top I have been thinking silver/gray. So today I decided to wrap it and see how it looks. What do you think?

[IMG]20181206_165632_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
[QUOTE=Eric 26 Argo;2186995]Pete thanks. I have made a few steps forward but between work, weather, and deer season I have be otherwise occupied. I did get the AC cover repaired and ready for paint.


Glad to see you are still at it. That AC cover will look great once it's painted. I'm replacing our AC. It was not working that well and part of the plan is to upgrade where we can. That definitely takes me off into the weeds more than I want to admit, oops, I guess I just did. I'm coming to the conclusion that while I have some great ideas implementation is a whole other thing.



Sorry you lost your second deer. Looks like it didn't go to waste at least.


Pete
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
We have been struggling with a color combination for the Loveshack. The Warden wants a olive green bottom with cream top I have been thinking silver/gray. So today I decided to wrap it and see how it looks. What do you think?

If you paint the windows like that, I think you'll have a hard time seeing out.


Seriously though... Argosy owners have such *opportunity* with being able to paint with *color!* I say don't wimp out and paint it a color that seems like you're trying to make it look like a "real" Airstream.


There's a guy from Japan who recently posted pics of his Argosy restoration. His is a couple shades of green and it looks amazing!


I've always wanted to paint a blue "Trans-Am" phoenix on an Argosy, but I know that's pretty over the top. Still, some sort of "70's van" graphics style would be so cool. Tasteful (but period appropriate) lines/shapes in multiple shades of the same color look fantastic.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
http://BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
We have been struggling with a color combination for the Loveshack. The Warden wants a olive green bottom with cream top I have been thinking silver/gray. So today I decided to wrap it and see how it looks. What do you think?

Seasons Greetings Eric,


I'll bet both would look good. Phyllis is the color picker in our household. That became the rule when I demonstrated a complete and utter ineptness in this valuable skill. As an example, I picked a green for a dodge van I owned and had it done without further consultation. What appeared so glorious on that small color swatch was actually truly hideous when it became van size. It took a color change to finally end the pointing and laughing when I drove it. Yeah, color picking is not my strong suit.

If you get the time please share how you cut your metal. Following the suggestion from they lady at Airparts, I cut my silver belly pan aluminum with a razor knife. It was thin (.025) enough to score and snap it. That worked great, but those cuts were just clean straight lines. With the gray metal for the side belly wrap, I'll need to cut some curves and stuff, similar to what you did. The gray metal is very thin also. I have a pair of aviation shears, I'm just not sure they're the best tool for the job. Your aluminum cuts looked pretty clean so I thought I'd ask.

Also on your front panel. Was it only necessary to remove the bottom rivets from the front window? I'm curious because I may be replacing that panel on mine.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,745
I almost took a 10 point buck this morning just after sunrise

... with a 2013 GMC Danali pickup. Luckily no ice on the road, so both parties in the dance escaped without injury.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I almost took a 10 point buck this morning just after sunrise

... with a 2013 GMC Danali pickup. Luckily no ice on the road, so both parties in the dance escaped without injury.

Paula
Glad that didn't happen Paula. Deer, Vehicle encounters rarely go well for either.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
I used the Harbor Freight electric shears $49.99, not including discount. I also used a straight edge to assist in cutting the straight lines.

Glad you didn't hit the buck. They usually walk away leaving you with torn up truck.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #57
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
I used the Harbor Freight electric shears $49.99, not including discount. I also used a straight edge to assist in cutting the straight lines.

Glad you didn't hit the buck. They usually walk away leaving you with torn up truck.

Thanks, I'm aware of those shears. I hope you don't mind that I'm telling Phyllis you said I Must buy them.

I have a Harbor Freight that's only 5 minutes from me. To close really, hahaha. I'm having trouble picturing how you used a straight edge with the shears. Would you mind providing a bit more detail.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member
 
Eric 26 Argo's Avatar
 
Knoxville , TN
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
I have a nine foot two piece guide that is made of aluminum. It was made for cutting sheets of plywood with a circular saw. I used it were possible as a guide and on longer cuts as a guide to draw lines. With a steady hand and taking your time you can get a decently straight cut.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #59
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
I have a nine foot two piece guide that is made of aluminum. It was made for cutting sheets of plywood with a circular saw. I used it were possible as a guide and on longer cuts as a guide to draw lines. With a steady hand and taking your time you can get a decently straight cut.
Greetings Eric,
Your guide sounds similar to one I have. I'm guessing that the shear can run along side it. I didn't realize that was possible, but I like the idea of it. I have pretty steady hands, but it's always nice to use a straight edge when possible.

Sorry for so many questions, but do your shears remove a ribbon when they cut or do they just cut with no waste? Here's why I ask. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...ml#post2189536
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
Peter I hear you 5 by 5

Work is progressing as time is available, and let's not forget weather. It is mid October and still in the mid 80's. Which wouldn't be a terrible issue if the humidity would go down. I have managed to get several things accomplished as I start putting it back together. I replaced that front panel so there is no more crack and no more water tank fill (for now).
[IMG]Front Panel 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Front Panel 4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also replaced the bathroom fan assembly with a modern unit only because I couldn't find the part to keep it original. The plastic fan and covers were completely deteriorated.
[IMG]Bath fan top by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Bath fan inside by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

One other item I worked on was the data plate and sewer plates. They had all seen better days and all the paint was long since faded. So I got the paint out and did some touch ups. Once they were dry I put some clear on to protect them a little longer.
[IMG]plate refreash by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

That brings us to today. Yesterday I removed the old patch panel on the road side to evaluate weather or not to replace the entire roadside bottom panel. After two hours drilling rivets out I decided that just replacing the patch panel was the route to take at this time with my time constraints and working conditions. At least I will be able to fix the wheel well arch so it is clean and looks close to factory.
[IMG]Patch removed by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I still have a number of items to complete on the outside before the interior starts to go back in. I have two Maxair fans to install, reinstall the rebuilt TV antena assembly, repair the A/C shroud and finish stripping the paint.

Greetings Eric, It's pesky Pete again. I'm sure your caught up in the Christmas / Seasonal bustle at this point. When the dust settles I look forward to hearing from you. As I mentioned, you're doing some exceptional work. I'd like to spruce up my data plate and sewer plates as well. Please share with us how you did such a great job with yours. Unlike most humans I was born with five thumbs on each hand, so I depend on others to share their secrets of success. Happy Holidays!
__________________

__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love Shack :: 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud salzerfamily Airstream Registry Discussions 0 03-20-2017 08:36 AM
Love Love love my updates & remakes from A & P Vintage! mrsretail6 General Interior Topics 21 07-12-2016 11:20 AM
Intro• "love shack" Love shack Member Introductions 44 04-09-2011 09:15 PM
Sure would LOVE LOVE LOVE some help. Muddy Waters Tow Vehicles 44 10-18-2007 09:55 AM
1969 Love Shack Baby!! Hawaii Or Bust robert oswal Member Introductions 2 02-22-2007 05:21 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×