Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Robinson , Illinois
The Agony and the Argosy

So I'd been looking for a pop-up (hoots, hisses and catcalls) for about 2 weeks. Last Thursday on the way to look at a truly unhealthy little box (mold) I tripped right over an Argosy 6.0 1978 dinette model, and I'll go get it towards the end of the week, and can't wait.

These coaches have so much to recommend them especially when compared to what I set out looking for. I am soooooo happy and excited. Can't wait to clean and inspect and take it on the first of many trips with my loved ones there to enjoy the good times.

I ended up right in spite of myself, lol. From my pre-purchase inspection (not real extensive) I don't think it needs major work before use.
rattlehead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Congrats on your new baby! Unless it needs "major" work, it's usually possible to keep the trailer somewhat campable during the repair process. I'm sure you'll love your Arg!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Agony and the Argosy

Greetings Rattlehead78!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

I am certain that you will enjoy your Minuet! My Minuet is the same year as yours, but it has the front lounge that was standard. As a bit of trivia, your front dinette was a $50.00 option on the 1978 Minuet. Some other things that you may find as you explore your Minuet include:
  1. You will likely find that the floor is composite aluminum rather than wood. Most, but not all 6.0 Metre Minuets had the composite aluminum floors.
  2. Your cabinetry will be vinyl-clad-aluminum rather than laminate or wood that was typical in the main line Argosys.
  3. Your coach is 7 feet wide compared to the 7 feet 8 inch width of the main line Argosys.
  4. The empty/dry weight of your coach is 2,400 pounds (excluding options and accessories) with a maximum GVWR of 3,200 pounds.
  5. The deep-wrap front wing windows are nearly impossible to replace in the stock clear (solar gray tinted deep wrap front wing windows are readily available from an Airstream dealer). For this reason many Argosy owners install modern Airstream rock guards. This can be done with the Minuet, but the center section must be modified to fit the narrower width of the Minuet.
Enjoy your Minuet! When you encounter questions, there are several Minuet owners on the Forums and one of us should be able to help with answers.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Lucky finds are the best. There is lots of help here frm everyone. Photos photos of your new addition please.

Good Luck enjoy it
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Robinson , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Lucky finds are the best. There is lots of help here frm everyone. Photos photos of your new addition please.

Good Luck enjoy it
@ Kevin too - Actually I started getting help from the Airforums before I registered. In fact, the forums heavily influenced my decision making. After spotting the Minuet Thursday, I spent several hours lurking here and checking out photos, classifieds, etc. around the 'net.

Come Saturday morning I couldn't take it anymore, and called the filling station down the street from the camper, 10 minutes later I was talking to the owner. He shot me what I thought was a good deal, he invited me to come look asap as he had taken it to his shop since I passed through there. I knew when I left Saturday afternoon to see it that unless it was a complete rehab I'd buy, and maybe even then.

I learned about the aluminum floor here and checked, yup it's there. Somehow missed any mention of belly pans, I got on the shop floor to inspect the frame, didn't get too far with that, lol. I saw aluminum framework in the storage under a dinette bench, but failed to realize the cabinet construction is vinyl clad aluminum. I would have sworn the tag read GVWR 3500# and GAWR 3000#. It def had Minuet badge and 6 Metre decal.

The electrical is ok along with the fridge. Toilet will likely need replaced, as well as the back glass and a couple of tambour storage covers overhead. 1 or 2 dents but they'll suction ok. Stove, w/h and holding tanks are status unknown. No serious gouges or scars in the countertop or cabinetry. All in all I'd say I'm getting in this dude right or better than avg. for the condition it's in. No a/c and not sure but I think no furnace. It has electric lift on the hitch jack, an option maybe, or aftermarket add-on, looks old.

The axle housing (?) looked a little scabby and I asked if he would inspect the axle and wheel bearings before I pull it in return for an otherwise no-haggle deal, he said he would just pack 'em. I explained that if the axle needed replaced it wouldn't affect the deal in any way for me, I just want to drag it with confidence and if it needs axle work I'd like to get it done on that end. He has towed it 100-150 miles in the last 3-4 months and it and I just need about 75 out of it to get home.

So tomorrow morning myself and the boy and my sister are off to bring it home. I was wondering where should I post pics, in this or a new thread or photo gallery ? Also, if anybody sees this in time, there's a canvas cover for the front glass, snaps on outside, is this for privacy or can I use it when I tow it home to protect the glass ? Rockguard is on the list of things to get.

Sorry about the uberpost, I'm terrible about going long on a post. I'll get pics asap but it will be Sunday at best.
Thanks Gang,
Danny
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Post yur' pics right here...good luck on your new 'find'...

Ray
Old 06-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A thing to look for once home is the cross members on the frame. The frames are under built to save on weight and the cross members span 4 feet. I just worked on a very clean, very well cared for Minuet and it had two cross members broken loose. These minuets are very cool little trailers. You are heading towards a ton of fun, welcome to Airstreaming...

oh yeah, the axle needs replacing. They all do after 20 years.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Danny, enjoy the trailer. We love our Minuet - the one Frank mentioned in his post above.

A few thoughts:

- You're totally right - make sure the bearings are OK and the lugs are torqued and the tires are properly inflated, and you can tow it home fine. Beyond that, I'm amazed at the difference a minty-fresh axle makes. I tried to resist buying one, but some popped rivets pushed me to do it. It tows even better than it did before.

- I didn't bother replacing the furnace - I had Frank put in a catalytic heater instead. Better for boondocking as there's no battery draw.

Have fun with the new-to-you trailer!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Robinson , Illinois
I'm running behind, couldn't sleep last night but I'm off to go bring my new baby home if it will make the trip. I'll get back in here asap w/ an inspection report and pics. Everybody have a great day, I wish the timing had worked out where I could get to the Rally at Moraine View but I don't see myself getting there w/ this Minny needing looked over.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I'm not totally sure about the windows but mine say Herculite on all glass and the original owners brochure and manual I have states they were chosen so you don't have to worry about a stone guard. I seem to remember Herculite took a lot back then. Does anyone have any experience otherwise, hate to have one break and say oops I goofed up.
If you have a thermostat there's a furnace somewhere, look outside for a 2 hole vent for location. If the furnace looks over 10 years old look for a replacement most companies say the combustion chambers will leak at some point, not good.
Check out the axle posts to determine need for an axle. Always puzzled about the lifetime quote in the manual but people are replacing them???
Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
I'm not totally sure about the windows but mine say Herculite on all glass and the original owners brochure and manual I have states they were chosen so you don't have to worry about a stone guard. I seem to remember Herculite took a lot back then. Does anyone have any experience otherwise, hate to have one break and say oops I goofed up.
If you have a thermostat there's a furnace somewhere, look outside for a 2 hole vent for location. If the furnace looks over 10 years old look for a replacement most companies say the combustion chambers will leak at some point, not good.
Check out the axle posts to determine need for an axle. Always puzzled about the lifetime quote in the manual but people are replacing them???
The owner of a local RV shop owns a center bath Argosy (can't remember the length or year). He has it parked a little too close to a golf course - you guessed it. He took a golf ball in one of the rear wrap-arounds. The result was "Golf Ball 1 / Window 0".

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Robinson , Illinois
We got home just fine, it towed string-straight the whole way. Drove through a couple of fairly heavy t-storms and now I see the same system probably went through the rally at Le Roy, and they're calling for rain through Monday.

I'm going to start cleaning and inspecting later as weather allows, right now I'm beat I only slept about 3 hrs. last night. I do know the tambour covers are worse off than I thought, I have 1 or 2 good ones. It has a missing cushion and 1 that's ruined, others sun-faded but I'm not really a purist and didn't care that much for the colors anyhow.

I'll make a better post w/pics asap when I've dug in deeper. One really cool thing (to me) I have no experience towing at all except for small utility trailers working with my Dad when I was a kid, and never could learn to back one to save my life. When we got in I whipped in the nieghbors drive and backed it across the street, right down the drive like I'd been doing it all my life.

I may still visit the rally at Le Roy but if I do I won't be taking the coach.

That's all for now.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
golf balls can be painfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
The owner of a local RV shop owns a center bath Argosy (can't remember the length or year). He has it parked a little too close to a golf course - you guessed it. He took a golf ball in one of the rear wrap-arounds. The result was "Golf Ball 1 / Window 0".
OUCH I bet that hurt, but I wonder how much a stone guard would have helped on the front, , sorry had to .

PPG Herculite was introduced in 1938 and as of today is specd for Jet aircraft by Dornier "All-glass cockpit windows were specified for their unmatched durability, scratch resistance and service life. With PPG's Herculite II chemically strengthened glass, we are able to design lightweight, superior-performing glass windshields and windows.

Good call by Wally's design team for the Argosy test mule platform.

But as we all know 10 pound geese still damage them.

I like the look of the sunglass' but am still vasalating on installing them.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
We just bought the sunglasses and need to install them before the Sandcastle Rally next weekend. I've been having nightmares about breaking one of those curved windows, so I guess it's time!

As far as your cushions go, you can buy new foam and either make new covers for them yourself, or pay someone to do it. Check out the Forums; there are professionals who can make covers & curtains for you.

The cushions in our Argosy had been sitting outside for over a year, and were disgusting. We kept them only long enough to make a template for the new foam. We were short on money, so we just bought a couple of full/double size foam mattresses, and cut them to fit. Sean learned to sew making the upholstery and curtains, and they turned out quite well! Plus, we had a lot of fun.
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Robinson , Illinois
Yes I think we can do just fine recovering/upholstering for ourselves, my Sis knows her way around sewing. I finally got to start work with vacuuming and cleaning yesterday evening between storms, and I'll be going back at it this afternoon. I'm taking pics as I go along, I'll get some of them up soon.

I'm pretty sure I want to just remove the black tank and go with a porta-pottie, can't recall but I think Bob has pics up of a really nice rear bath done this way. That will address our immediate needs and I can always go back later if I want.

I found this really cool canvas for the front glass, it snaps on the outside and is covered in this coppery metallic finish that's just awesome. Unfortunately, the way it was folded, as I unfolded, it was trying to adhere to itself. I tried to clean it and was doing minor damage to it as I did so, and quit. I'm real interested in restoring or replicating this item, I think it would suffice as a rock guard on the road and look good too. Actually I think if padding were added to the back, it would make a better rock guard than the original.

I am interested in maintaining gray-water holding, as near as I can tell I must have 1 tank on the floor in the bathroom closet for the b/room sink, and another below the shower floor for the shower and kitchen sink. I can't get the tambour at the kitchen sink open yet either, and I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to make buddies with tambour, it's been a pain so far and may be innovating a replacement for that.

When the cleaning is done I'll do a full systems check of electric, plumbing and propane and go from there. Is there a drawing available somewhere of the frame layout or electrical schematic ? If so please post a link.

Danny
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlehead78 View Post
I am interested in maintaining gray-water holding, as near as I can tell I must have 1 tank on the floor in the bathroom closet for the b/room sink, and another below the shower floor for the shower and kitchen sink.
If it works the way mine does, the tank in the closet holds water from both the kitchen and bathroom sink. The shower water goes straight out.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Try lifting up on the top of the tambour door under the sink as you try to slide it open. The doors stick in the tracks at the bottom for a variety of reasons and lifting up on the front of the door while you slide it sometimes frees the door from the bind. You can also check the area under the stove for screws or rivets that stick into the tambour when someone tried to do some repairs.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
When I got the Argosy some tambours were jammed. Asquirt of WD40 on the bottom track and a little on the top fixed the problem and tey slide like new now, just don't soak the tambour.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Agony and the Argosy

Greetings Danny!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I want to just remove the black tank and go with a porta-pottie, can't recall but I think Bob has pics up of a really nice rear bath done this way. That will address our immediate needs and I can always go back later if I want.
I would encourage you to reconsider removing the black tank and toilet. It will require significant modification to the shower pan as the black tank enclosure forms part of the showerpan perimeter. Even if the original Thetford toilet needs to be replaced, the replacement toilet is no more expensive than a high-quality porta-potti.

Quote:
I found this really cool canvas for the front glass, it snaps on the outside and is covered in this coppery metallic finish that's just awesome. Unfortunately, the way it was folded, as I unfolded, it was trying to adhere to itself. I tried to clean it and was doing minor damage to it as I did so, and quit. I'm real interested in restoring or replicating this item, I think it would suffice as a rock guard on the road and look good too. Actually I think if padding were added to the back, it would make a better rock guard than the original.
The wrap window shields were an accessory offered by the Byam store for the Argosy coaches. Originally, the intent was to use them during periods of storage to help protect the drapes and upholstery. They do provide modest protection to the glass from damage while towing, but I would still worry about stones or misdirected birds damaging the window using only the fabric covers. The Lexam material used in the Airstream three-piece rock guards deflects stones and wayward birds quite well according to my experience with my Minuet when towing with my Cadillac Convertible . . . .

Quote:
I am interested in maintaining gray-water holding, as near as I can tell I must have 1 tank on the floor in the bathroom closet for the b/room sink, and another below the shower floor for the shower and kitchen sink. I can't get the tambour at the kitchen sink open yet either, and I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to make buddies with tambour, it's been a pain so far and may be innovating a replacement for that.
In 1978, the Minuet 6.0 Metre did not contain all of its gray water. The shower did not originally come with gray water collection and adding it is nearly impossible as the drain trap takes up more than 1/2 of the room between the floor and the bottom of the frame members. The tank in the rear streetside corner collects water from the kitchen sink and bathroom vanity (the drain from the kitchen sink runs along the wall behind the bulge around the lower area of the shower stall on the outside wall). The black tank is under the toile and extends under the vanity .

Quote:
When the cleaning is done I'll do a full systems check of electric, plumbing and propane and go from there. Is there a drawing available somewhere of the frame layout or electrical schematic ? If so please post a link.
Airstream didn't publish a service/shop manual for the Argosy coaches like they did for the Airstreams. The information from a similar year Airstream shop manual will be very similar but not identical. There is a fairly good owners' manual available for the 1978 Argosys. A reproduction can be purchased from Airstream at this link. Reproduction Airstream service manuals can be purchased at this link.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Robinson , Illinois
Thanks for the advice, I will def not get in a hurry to tear out the black water, in the end it would probably be as much work as bringing the system up to snuff anyway, maybe more.

I'm not getting much done it's driving me nuts but the heat has been more than a person can take so I've been working on it evenings. The cleaning is done except for the bath, so I could camp it anytime.

I was glad to find out where the front glass canvas cover came from too. When this dude was new, that must have looked awfully sharp.

Well, here's to getting something done today, although it may be 5:00 pm before anything happens. Maybe I can get some pics up today.