Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Robinson , Illinois
Hi folks, thought I would update on my progress. I've been kinda landslided lately. I have the Argy spotted at my house now, had to cut some limbs and get rid of a big bush first. I've cleaned every square inch, some places twice.

Electrical - I was worried that my converter was shot but it was the battery and since replacing it, no troubles, although I haven't used the 12v system much. I have heard the converter humming and I'll have a friend check it with a volt meter to see how well it's performing. The future upgrade will be an Intelli-power converter/distribution combo. But everything seems to work ok at the moment.

Plumbing - I have to fix a small leak in the w/h closet, but aside from that it's all good. A PO has been thru it and replaced with PEX. Not sure if the w/h works or not because my LP is down for a while. I took Kevins advice and kept the waste tanks in place, I got a porta-pottie so we could get camping. The waste valves won't operate, so that fix gets bumped down the list for a while.

Propane - The line is squashed nearly flat towards the front of the trailer, and I twisted the line to the stove, so this will be a total redo, or close to it.

Appliances - Fridge runs on 110, don't know about propane, but I may tear it out anyhow. We're coming up from tent camping, I don't mind using coolers, and I'd like to reduce electrical use where I can. I may build a nice tight ice chest myself to put there.

w/h is still an unknown. I tore out the stove and tomorrow I'll take it to a guy that can check it out, make any needed repairs and pretty it up. I want it mainly to prepare my sons meals, and of course we'll be grilling outside too.

The furnace I don't know about, doesn't really matter because it's coming out. I won't do a lot of cold-weather outings but I'll use catalytic for heat.

Running gear - The axle needs replaced, up angle on the arms says it all I think. That will be the first major component I replace, this winter or next spring. This years outings will be to a couple of spots neither one is over 25 mi. so I feel ok holding off so we can camp it.

Near future fixes will include LED lights inside and out. I installed a/c, a window unit in the back window, I just couldn't make myself drop the bucks for roof air, right now anyway. I can install/uninstall in about 2 minutes, it won't be in when towing.

I think towards the end of this week, my son and I will roll Vic down the road just about 12 mi. to a nice little private ground, for our first camp in the Argy. We'll mull over some int. deco ideas, fish a little, etc. I have been really inspired by the 2 tone repaints I've seen on the forums, I think I want to do black below the beltline and metallic copper, brass, or gold above, with the wraps done in whatever metallic color I end up choosing as well.

Being as I still haven't got pics up, I'll hold off just a little longer so I can include a couple of shots from the maiden trip. Cheers, everybody !! Danny
rattlehead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would seriously rethink the "coming up from tent camping so coolers are fine" notion. You now have the opportunity to have lunch meat that is not floating in water and popsicles on a hot day. Coolers are a huge PTA and you have not seen how cool it is to have a real refrigerator on board. While on gas that unit will be as good as gold. Gas lines are easy to replace and I encourage you to think this one through.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #23
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I'm with Frank on this one. I too came up from tenting and when I finally had a working fridge in my Argy, I had permagrin my first camping trip.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I still use a cooler. I like my beer really cold, so floating in ice is something I want my beer to do. My block of cheddar, the left overs from the steak the night before, that I don't like floating in the ice.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Did someone say "cold beer?" Save one for me!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Danny!

I would encourage you to reconsider removing the black tank and toilet. It will require significant modification to the shower pan as the black tank enclosure forms part of the showerpan perimeter. Even if the original Thetford toilet needs to be replaced, the replacement toilet is no more expensive than a high-quality porta-potti.
Yes, we replaced our black tank/toilet with a porta-potti. For the two of us, it works just fine. I didn't have to modify the shower pan, but I did have to re-work the bathroom vanity (make it taller) as the black tank resided underneath (partially). The perimeter of the shower pan was no big deal to do.

Quote:

The wrap window shields were an accessory offered by the Byam store for the Argosy coaches. Originally, the intent was to use them during periods of storage to help protect the drapes and upholstery. They do provide modest protection to the glass from damage while towing, but I would still worry about stones or misdirected birds damaging the window using only the fabric covers. The Lexam material used in the Airstream three-piece rock guards deflects stones and wayward birds quite well according to my experience with my Minuet when towing with my Cadillac Convertible . . . .
The rock guards are a good idea and are next on our list of things to do...

Quote:

In 1978, the Minuet 6.0 Metre did not contain all of its gray water. The shower did not originally come with gray water collection and adding it is nearly impossible as the drain trap takes up more than 1/2 of the room between the floor and the bottom of the frame members. The tank in the rear streetside corner collects water from the kitchen sink and bathroom vanity (the drain from the kitchen sink runs along the wall behind the bulge around the lower area of the shower stall on the outside wall). The black tank is under the toile and extends under the vanity .
Our trailer was retro-fitted with a gray tank by a PO. It's not very big and extends below the belly pan, so it will be replaced at some point in the future with a larger/better fitting tank.

Quote:

Airstream didn't publish a service/shop manual for the Argosy coaches like they did for the Airstreams. The information from a similar year Airstream shop manual will be very similar but not identical. There is a fairly good owners' manual available for the 1978 Argosys. A reproduction can be purchased from Airstream at this link. Reproduction Airstream service manuals can be purchased at this link.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
I don't think a service manual is necessary unless it's for appliances that you want/need to repair. Repairs on the structure and systems are pretty straight forward.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I agree on keeping the fridge, on propane it doesn't use much gas and the ability to freeze stuff is priceless, like fresh ice for your beer cooler. funny how we come back to that isn't it.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Talking typing 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
When I got the Argosy some tambours were jammed. Asquirt of WD40 on the bottom track and a little on the top fixed the problem and tey slide like new now, just don't soak the tambour.

Boy I can't type worth a hoot.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Robinson , Illinois
Yes, upon further reflection removing a working appliance like a fridge doesn't seem like one of my better ideas, what can I say it was 1 in the morning. I always preferred the drinks were on ice, but for food the fridge is way better.

I think we're going to camp it next weekend, sure am anxious to get out there in the Argy and have some fun.
rattlehead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
All new propane lines is very easy to do for anyone the least bit handy. You just need to learn how to flare the pipe. After two times practicing and it goes real easy. The best advice is to buy a good tool though, the cheap ones at the orange box do a very poor job. Sometimes it is hard to swallow a $60 tool instead of a $12 one, but one wasted hour is worth a lot more. Rigid makes an excellent tool that holds the pipe with out slipping (orange box version always slips) and flares it to a perfect angle.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I'm with Frank, cheap flaring tools just make the job harder. If you want one that will last a lifetime, check out this one from Yellow Jacket. A little spendy, but worth every penny.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote