Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Tanks need dumping?

There is no dump hose with my new trailer. I see there are two valves in the outside back bumper. One is marked main and the other auxilliary (wash).

I can see water in the bathroom sink if I look down the drain. I assume that means its full. This is just gray water from the sinks, correct? If so, can /should I just open it in the driveway (has a natural downward slope).

Likewise, what are my main tank dump options? Do I need to find a KOA or something similar or are there more conventional or available options?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Thanks again.

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
snohomish , Washington
many rest areas have dump stations. north of everett is the closest i believe. it is good to see water in the drain that means your trap is full and it keeps odors out of the trailer and does not mean your tank is full. when it backs up into the shower you are full for sure. one valve will be for black dump and the one marked wash is probally for your grey water which you dump after the black to wash the hose.

i wouldnt dump it in my driveway what if you pull the wrong lever! yuck. also the grey water can smell because of oils and fats going ransed.
jgouras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Main is your black, Aux. Gray. Water you see may be the vapor trap. If you have water in your tub, your gray is most likely full. Check your control panel if your model has one, it will give you a rough idea...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
snohomish , Washington
here is a link to the rest areas with a key for which has a dump station.

WSDOT Safety Rest Areas Map

i always plan my return trip home by way of one of these locations.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S
There is no dump hose with my new trailer. I see there are two valves in the outside back bumper. One is marked main and the other auxilliary (wash).

I can see water in the bathroom sink if I look down the drain. I assume that means its full. This is just gray water from the sinks, correct? If so, can /should I just open it in the driveway (has a natural downward slope).

Likewise, what are my main tank dump options? Do I need to find a KOA or something similar or are there more conventional or available options?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Thanks again.

Dan
Dan,

If you live in the South End of Seattle, there is a KOA in Kent, they have easy pull through to dump. Also the rest area North Bound I5 in Federal Way has a couple dump sites.

You will need a hose. Camping world in Fife will have what you need. You might try a WalMart or Fredies too.

I wouldn't recommend dumping in your drive way either.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Like it was stated before, the water you see in the sink is the water in the trap. When the grey tank is full+, it will start to fill your shower. The black tank is easy to check. Flush and look into the tank.

When you are getting sewer hoses, make sure you get the correct fittings. Airstream used Thetford fittings which are not the same as the Valterra fittings which are on almost everything else.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgouras
here is a link to the rest areas with a key for which has a dump station.

WSDOT Safety Rest Areas Map

i always plan my return trip home by way of one of these locations.
Thanks for that link. I'll use it too.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As noted earlier, a overly full grey water (wash water) tank backs up through the lowest drain in the trailer which will be your shower, or bath tub. Black water can be visually seen when the toilet flush valve is open. Normally I dump my tanks prior to heading for home or if I'm carrying some significant amount of waste water. No need to spend fuel on that weight.

Just a reminder or if you don't know, try to dump your black tank as full as possible in order to carry all the waste out of the tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
snohomish , Washington
that is good info. i have heard that it is a good idea to drive a little with the black water to help break it up etc... and then dump. although with my macerating marine toilet i really dont have to worry too much about this.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Just a reminder or if you don't know, try to dump your black tank as full as possible in order to carry all the waste out of the tank.

Jack
Also, if your are hooked up to a sewer connection, do not leave your black tank valve open. If you do you will allow the liquid to flow out, but solids will stay behind, resulting in a 'black pyramid'.

I usually leave my gray water valve closed too. That way when I do empty the black tank, I have plenty of gray water to flush the hose.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
snohomish , Washington
cause clean hoses are happy hoses.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgouras
that is good info. i have heard that it is a good idea to drive a little with the black water to help break it up etc... and then dump. although with my macerating marine toilet i really dont have to worry too much about this.
Another trick is to dump your black tank before you leave the camp ground. Then fill about 1/3 with clean water and add about 20 lbs of ice cubes. while returning home, the ice cubes will bounce around and clean the tank. They melt leaving just water in the tank, which you can then dump before getting home.

Also, you should always add a few gallons of water to the black tank AFTER you have dumped it. This allows the solids to have something to dissolve into when the tank is nearly empty.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Other Tips

Dan---Other sources for dump stations near your home would include some RV storage facilities. A phone call to city hall, perhaps the public works dept, may yield a list of local dump sites. Some cities have one in conjunction with their water treatment facilities.

If this is your first experience with this chore, do it sooner rather than later, locally, before you hit the road on a camping trip. The learning curve is pretty steep, so the next time you dump, say in a camp ground with all your peers watching, you'll be a pro and get it done in a small fraction of the time the first one took.

Also, many dump stations have a non potable water source that you can use for flushing your tanks after the inital emptying. I bought a clear plastic fitting that goes between the upstream end of your flexible dump hose and the attach point on the trailer. Get one with a valved water hose port. It may take several cycles of partially filling the tank and draining to clear out the tank. The clear plastic allows you to monitor this without handling the discharge end of the flex hose. This step also helps in flushing the flex line.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote