Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
I too have insurance on my 72 Overlander. It is with USAA, I have been insured by them for 40 years. It is covered for collision & comp at the same level as my vehicles. I took out the insurance because I wanted to be covered while pulling it down the road in case I was in an accident. Unfortunately It was totaled when I parked in in my barn for renovations this winter. There was an extreme weather event and the barn collapsed on the unit. USAA totaled the trailer and made a fair payment for its value. While I am pleased with the professionalisum and service with USAA, I'd rather have my barn intact and my trailer whole. It will take effort to replace it.

buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
taking a poll about insuring your trailer

I tried to get my '65 Globetrotter insured to cover all the work (two years and more money than i want to think about) that was performed on it. My insurance agent, with Mercury (same guy over 25 yrs), had me take my trailer to a trailer builder. I had tons of receipts and photo's of all the work as well as the trailer with me. I had thought that I could get it appraised for thirty five or forty thousand. They insured it at twenty five thousand and would not go any higher. I have since found a guy in Ojai, California who specializes in vintage AS appraisals. He is expensive, but does an extensive work-up (with photo's) that is supposed to help to get your trailer valued for the true replacement value. This, mind you, was before our economy collapsed. The name of the guy in Ojai is James Polk and his email address is He does not know me and even, with a higher appraisal, you would still have to convince your insurance company. Maybe my twenty five thousand is good considering everything. All the best, Kenny

kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
Thanks for your kind words about our services, we are fellow Airstreamers with 2 1954 FC's. We would be happy to provide discounted appraisal services to our airstream friends. Also we are always available to help with suggestions and guidance dealing with insurance settlements. Check out our web site for more infomation
Jim Polk
WBCCI 2705 AirForums 24539
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Our Overland is included in our TV's/Home-Owners policy .We have a agreed on replacement cost. I think the policy was new in November 08 so I would have to go back and review. We changed Co's and everything is with 1 carrier now. We go very large discounts for insuring everything under 1 policy and 1 CO.
We not pay just a little more for everything than the Home-Owners was by its self .We were gettin ripped by our home owners co. I will not mention the co.but they have a bad reputation of not wanting to pay for a loss or they pay and cancel ya regardless of the yrs U have been with them.
Everyone should review their policy periodically and keep them updated,Shop around its worth it.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Here New York, Your TT is covered by the TV's insurance. Your coverage is dictated by the limitation of the policy. It covers nothing once you disconnect any where. I have fulltimer insurance on my MH. This differs from regular insurance when parked. As long as I'm parked not on a public road, engine not running, & key out of ignition the "home owners" portion kicks in. It covers me falling off a ladder , tree falling damage, & any other disaster covered by a home owners policy. Damage to the MH cost is limited to actual cash value. I have the MH appraised every 2 yrs unless I do a large modification. The next time will be after removing couch, new wood floors & dinnette, & adding 2 recliners.
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #20
Looking for time
1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
no sweat Craig- I didnt think that you were--its cool----------jim

jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote