Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Nashville , Arkansas
Supplies needed to install wrap window

We found our driver's side wrap window thanks to Bob aka tincanman. Picked it up this weekend.

Since we are newbies and this is our first project with our trailers.....help, please. What do we need to install this? A supply list would be great and any advice too! thanks
julie3795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You will need a good drill and a steady hand to drill out the existing rivets. I used a 5/32 drill bit because I was going to use Olympia rivets to install the window. Olympia rivets can come from Vintage Trailer Supply. You will need a tube of Vulkem for your caulking gun. I got the old style Vulkem that has a long set up time from Inland Supply. The newer Vulkem from VTS would probably do the job as well (it does set up faster than the traditional Vulkem). You will need a good rivet tool to pull the rivets. Check with VTS for this. I have used a Harbor Freight tool, but I recommend better. You want enough leverage to make pulling the rivets less of a chore.
Get a center punch and put a small dimple in each of the existing rivets, then drill the rivets out staying as close to perpendicular to the frame as you can. Remove the frame from the trailer and clean out the old sealant, glass shards, etc. You want a clean area for the new window to go in.
Take your new window and make a trial fit to check for problems. I found that the new window was slightly different from the old one in curvature, but fit the area reasonably well. I didn't think the stress from riveting would damage the new window. Naturally, the rivet holes did not line up so decisions had to be made about rivets. I lucked out in that I could use the holes in the new window for riveting without a lot of problems. The way Olympic rivets work gives you a little leeway as they open into three 'legs' that fasten the parts together.
Once you are ready to put the window in place and start riveting, put Vulkem generously in the frame the window will sit in. I put a rivet in at each corner by drilling through the hole in the frame of the new window into the window frame of the trailer, inserting the rivet, and setting it. You will probably need a helper to hold the window in place until you get these four rivets in. Drill the subsequent holes and rivet away. As you rivet, Vulkem will squeeze out giving you a slight mess to clean up, but less likely to give you a leak in the window. It doesn't hurt to put a dab of Vulkem under the head of the rivet before you insert it into the hole and start pulling the assembly together. Olympia rivets are more prone to leak than bucked rivets, but they are what you almost have to use here.
The mandrel for the rivets breaks off about 1/4 inch above the head of the rivet. There is a tool that will round the stub off and make the rivet look like a bucked rivet head. The tool is expensive (check VTS) but you CAN clip the stub close to the head and gently file it down to contour it. Your choice.
Oh yes. Spend the money to buy or make the protection for those front windows. You don't want to do this twice.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
You will need a good drill and a steady hand to drill out the existing rivets.... Get a center punch and put a small dimple in each of the existing rivets....
I've done a wing window and several other rivet/skin repairs and have found a spring loaded center punch really handy when you need to drill out a line of rivets.
General Tools Hardened Steel Center Punch-89 - The Home Depot
Seems more accurate than going with a standard punch and hammer.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might also look at this rivet removal tool.
Rivet Removal Tool
It works well and you don't need to center punch the rivets. As Tom said, the spring loaded punch is a help. I used the rivet removal tool when replacing the sides on my Caravel and, while not perfect, it cut the number of badly drilled rivets to near zero.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
Cleo clamps are super handy too. Vintage Trailer Supply has them in packs of 25.