Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
1977 24' Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Florida
Stove issues - fix or replace?

Help!!! Fix? Or replace? my oven explodes when I tried to use it. Any suggestions on this matter?
topshelf069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Top', you have to explain more and photos would help.

It seems to me an "exploded" oven would be unfixable and you would be removing pieces of it from the cabinets, dinette and walls. I have visions of a fireball and flying metal.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
1977 24' Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Florida
The stove top works good. When I light the over pilot it is small but ok I guess. The burner kicks on good then all of a sudden a boom sound and fire ball comes out of the oven.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
1977 24' Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120419_202402.png
Views:	120
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	156208

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120419_202519.png
Views:	142
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	156209
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
That must be exciting. A good way to lose your eyebrows.

Our Magic Chef is a 2007/8 model and the pilot is very hard to light, but I don't know exactly what yours is like. But if you turn the knob all the way past "pilot", the main burner may light as well as the pilot light. If you turn it on for mere seconds before you light it, enough gas may accumulate that a fireball is likely (our home kitchen has a 1932 Magic Chef without a pilot light and I have to light the burners fast or get a small fireball; I keep a lit match ready as soon as I turn on the gas). Make sure you only turn it to pilot, push in the knob, light the pilot, hold the knob for about 30 seconds, then the pilot light should stay on, then turn the knob to oven.

Some people try to light the main burner this way because the pilot light can be hard to light; this is not a good idea.

If you are doing this correctly, you have a problem (you knew that). The pilot light heats a thermocouple which when hot creates a small current and opens the main gas valve so the burner will light. It takes about 20 or 30 seconds to heat up the thermocouple to allow this, but once the pilot light is lit, you can turn the knob and the main burner may light. People don't like holding down the knob when it is in pilot position, so they do this. Sometimes the pilot will go out after 30 seconds (or longer) and this means the thermocouple needs replacing. A trailer stove not used for a while will be hard to light because it takes a while for the gas to get to the pilot to light it. This is frustrating and usually by the 3rd or 4th match it lights.

Newer gas appliances have other ways to light them, but yours probably doesn't. Thermocouples have been around for generations and work pretty well, but are not so easy to replace on some of them.

I think you know gas can be dangerous, so check everything carefully and keep back from the oven if you try this again. The pilot is so far in the back of the oven on ours that keeping back would require I have my arm lengthened, but I try to be careful and use a flashlight to see what I'm doing while my wife operates the knob. A triple jointed athlete may be able to operate the knob and light the pilot, but I don't qualify.

Gene
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I looked at the photos (posted as I was writing the last post) and there is no main burner I can see. Put it back and try to light the pilot after you examine all the parts that are there. The main burner will distribute the gas gas through a bunch of small holes—without it you have one larger hole that can produce a fireball. Maybe this is your problem.

Gene
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
1977 24' Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Florida
Ok I will clean everything up and try it again
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf069 View Post
The stove top works good. When I light the over pilot it is small but ok I guess. The burner kicks on good then all of a sudden a boom sound and fire ball comes out of the oven.
I think you need to open the oven door and light the oven pilot also, not just the stove top pilot. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote