Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Storage Solutions: battery box and new made-to-open twin beds

We removed the side gaucho on one side and the closet and drawer assembly on the other, from our 24' Argosy. These are to be replaced with twins on both sides, which are hinged past the wheel wells, water heater, and most of the battery box. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	136564We removed the old, broken plastic battery box, to be replaced with a bigger one that will hold two deep cycle batteries. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	136565 Here the battery box top is off. The top of the battery box will screw on to prevent leaking battery fumes. Before remaking the battery box, the plywood floor was impregnated with fiberglass resin to protect the floor from a possible battery acid leak. The battery box was then constructed from old scraps of melamine. We want to use the under-bed areas for storing our duffle bags of clothes, etc, and want to be able to lift the bed with bedding on it and have it stay open as we rummage for stuff. We started with one "lid stay" toy box hinge on each side of the twin bed platform, shown here, with the battery box also in view.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	136566 After further consideration we mounted a second set of hinges on each side of the bed, shown hereClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	136567 The beauty of these hinges is that we can now open the bed-tops only a few inches or all the way and the top STAYS OPEN. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1158.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	136568 We will be doing the same thing with the seats of the dinette- installing the stay-open toy box hinges that we purchased from ROCKLER. They are awesome.

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
Great idea, been thinking about doing something similar myself, the current set up is such a waste of space and hard to access when the beds are made which is all the time! Thanks for sharing
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Thats a great idea, thanks for posting such good pics. I was considering the use of a shock rather than a hinge for something similar but I believe that particular hinge is a better option.
Keep 'em coming!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Got more pics?
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

phoenix , Arizona
Does anyone know if this would work with sport 22 bed?
nanaenes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I like that option. Removing the closet allows for a longer bed. I'm 5'18" and the 76" bed is a little too short on the end.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote