Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
Starting axle replacements

We have had this Argosy a couple of years in the campground where we bought it,this year we decided to take it home (Florida) and generally recondition it.Like most everybody elses it needs some frame repair under the rear bath and new tires,axles and brakes a little body work and a coat of paint so it will be our winter project.
The camper had been sitting in the same campground for about 15 or 16 years The rubber in the axles was about as flexible as concrete so we ordered a new pair from Colin Hyde and 6 weeks later they arrived at the campground in North Carolina.Shipping was about $250.oo,half the price of shipping to Florida.The old axles were so ridgid the trip to Florida probably would have loosened every rivet in the body! we loaded them in the truck and hooked up the trailer and towed it to my sons house about 4 hours away as he has a concrete driveway a good solid place to jack and block it it safely.
I have been spraying "Blaster" penetrating oil on it every few days starting when we had the wheels off to replace the tires so the bolts and nuts came apart quite easily ,so the first axle is on the driveway waiting for my son to get back from Disney to help me get the old one out from under and the first new one installed.
I the one picture you can see my temporary window protection,after i read about the cost of replacement pano windows i decided that 2 layers of 3/4" styrofoam was a good idea and of course lots of duct tape!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	222404   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	222405  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	222406   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	222407  

Old 09-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
We have had this Argosy a couple of years in the campground where we bought it,this year we decided to take it home (Florida) and generally recondition it.Like most everybody elses it needs some frame repair under the rear bath and new tires,axles and brakes a little body work and a coat of paint so it will be our winter project.
The camper had been sitting in the same campground for about 15 or 16 years The rubber in the axles was about as flexible as concrete so we ordered a new pair from Colin Hyde and 6 weeks later they arrived at the campground in North Carolina.Shipping was about $250.oo,half the price of shipping to Florida.The old axles were so ridgid the trip to Florida probably would have loosened every rivet in the body! we loaded them in the truck and hooked up the trailer and towed it to my sons house about 4 hours away as he has a concrete driveway a good solid place to jack and block it it safely.
I have been spraying "Blaster" penetrating oil on it every few days starting when we had the wheels off to replace the tires so the bolts and nuts came apart quite easily ,so the first axle is on the driveway waiting for my son to get back from Disney to help me get the old one out from under and the first new one installed.
I the one picture you can see my temporary window protection,after i read about the cost of replacement pano windows i decided that 2 layers of 3/4" styrofoam was a good idea and of course lots of duct tape!
Another major brand ships axles in 2 weeks, from 21 different places, saving the customer some freight charges, if any. Many times the owner can pick them up and pay nothing for freight.

Andy
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 24
Cutchogue , New York
Is the Dexter Torflex an appropriate replacement?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdbraverman View Post
Is the Dexter Torflex an appropriate replacement?
Of the current torsion axle manufacturers, Dexter is by far the leader.

Thats why Airstream uses them in current production.

A couple of other brands are available, but lab tests are negative in more than one way on the second manufacturer.

Shipping time from Dexter is 2 weeks, from the other, it's 6 weeks.

Oh yes, Dexter costs a little more, but you get much more, such as self adjusting brakes.

Andy
Old 09-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Beyond a doubt the best replacement

Greg
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
I would say the Dexter axle is O.K, i used one a few years ago in a SOB camper that i had. However if buying from Dexter directly you will have give them the dimensions for mounting brackets ect any errors in your measurements are your problem and they may not put the shock brackets on.
Since you are in New York you probably should contact Colin Hyde airstream restorations in Platsburgh @ 518 578 7772 You tell him what year and model Airstream or Argosy you need the axle for.He can sell you an axle that is correct for your project with all new brakes,wheel bearings and new mounting hardware and lug nuts at a very good price that requires no drilling,welding or other problems basically plug and play. I just bought two for our Argosy.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There is a Dexter warehouse in New York state, that is much closer than Elkhart, which means less freight, or even the pssibilty of direct pick up, and no freight.

Plus shipping is 2 weeks, not 6 weeks.

Andy
Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
Good Job, you should be proud of yourself !!
AIR #13
Closed Thread