Old 11-23-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Start of restoration '77 Argosy 20ft

Hi All,

Thought I would post a picture showing where I am at on getting my trailer ready for spring.

Removing the countertop and cabinets was much easier than I thought, although removing great gobs of silicone glue was a chore (previous owner). I still need to get the backsplash off the counter.

You can see the damage on the frig vent that I will be fiberglassing. One of the legs on the frig actually chewed a hole into the first piece of aluminum of the floor (an aluminum- styrafoam sandwich, no wood) and pulled the vent outward. The screws holding down the frig had all worked their way out. I hope this aluminum floor will work out. I do have to take into account that for the last four years the PO had driven it over rough gravel roads with a shot axel and unbalanced tires.

I have the cabinets out, and am repairing popped rivets and weak sections of these flimsy cabinets. This trailer is going to see rough roads so I am reinforcing everything I can.

I found another leak in the vent on the frig. It is inside the upper comartment. You can't see it, but I found it with my hand. It is a good place to check if you worry about fumes from the flame.

Any one know of the frame details for the short Argosy? A drawing or picture would be great.

All suggestions appreciated.

pop a rivet,

Jim

'77 Argosy Minuet 20ft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remove-kitchen.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	912  

Old 11-23-2002, 01:16 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up

Hi Jim - Well, I am not the one to ask on suggestions regarding construction, but I do want to say thanks for all pics posted when you are doing the actual work. It will help me so much when we get ready to do the same. I am also glad to hear you will be doing heavy duty reinforcement for hard travel. We, too like to get off road and don't want to create problems in "Mini". Let us know what you use and how you think it worked. Good Luck in your "re-creation" or is that "recreation"!! Leigh

Old 11-26-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hi Leigh,

After looking at the bad spots, and studying the rest of the food area, I would say that they are designed with a lot of flexibility into the unit. Don't get it too stiff maybe? Bend like a willow. The PO did some mod's that maybe made it too stiff. This is my first trailer, I'm just using my own interpretation here. Instead of riveting something directly to a wall, there is always something to flex and bend. There are some obvious areas that need more support, but I'm still looking at the total package. I'm still considering a few ideas. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

When we get off a road, it is often a dirt track with 12 inch potholes.

I have lots of ideas, but don't crate your 3 window Minuet by towing it through pines. I hope to see it in person one of these days. It is one of a kind.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Want to Dismantle Galley

I am posting to this old thread because BARBWIRE was redoing his galley and it looks like we will be starting the same job soon. Our thought is to start slow and dismantle with the idea of putting it back together later this year or early next year. We wouldn't be doing this (everything has been working fine), except we developed a strange leak that seems to be coming from a PVC pipe connected to the sink drain and running under our wardrobe to the grey tank. It is not leaking excessively yet - must be a small crack or hole, but we don't feel comfortable leaving it as is. Since Barbwire already asked, I thought by now, maybe someone else might have done some of this type of work and have ideas, thoughts, comments, pictures, help of all and any kind. A detailed layout w/photos from start to finish would be PERFECT (I don't ask much!!!!! ) I'm a little nervous as this would be the 1st major task (ie. lots of taking apart & putting back together) we have attempted. I don't want to get it apart and be stuck. Anyway, hope all you hard working, handyperson types will chime in. Thanks

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Wow - I hope I didn't scare everyone off w/my post above!! I've been trying the "search" function while waiting, to see if I could find anything on kitchen restoration or dimantling and so far, nada. If anyone can direct or inform before we start tackling this this afternoon (even words of encouragement) that would be great. I guess I just get a bit nervous when I don't have any manual to go by and so many pieces of the puzzle to work with. I'm mostly looking for advice on any areas (ie, stove, plumbing, etc) where we might run into snaffus. Also, I'm trying to figure out if we will have to discard the formica when we take the cabinets apart, or whether there is a way to keep the "top" on while dismantling everything below and around it.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 08-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
kitchen dismantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Wow - I hope I didn't scare everyone off w/my post above!! I've been trying the "search" function while waiting, to see if I could find anything on kitchen restoration or dimantling and so far, nada. If anyone can direct or inform before we start tackling this this afternoon (even words of encouragement) that would be great. I guess I just get a bit nervous when I don't have any manual to go by and so many pieces of the puzzle to work with. I'm mostly looking for advice on any areas (ie, stove, plumbing, etc) where we might run into snaffus. Also, I'm trying to figure out if we will have to discard the formica when we take the cabinets apart, or whether there is a way to keep the "top" on while dismantling everything below and around it.
I removed my kitchen and bathroom and part of the bedroom on my 1973 24' argosy. I don't have a digital camera so can't seen pictures, but will address any questions you have. E-mail me or call me at 512-497-5120.

Don
Old 08-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Leigh,

Removing the counter top will make it easier to do the work under that space.

The stove will need to be removed it normally rests on top of the counter itself. There are 4 screws that go from the cook top into the edge of the wood that the Formica sits on. Lift the burner section up and you will see them as well as the disconnect for the gas line.

The sink can come out with the counter top, remove the plumbing tail pieces and the water lines from the faucet. Be sure to label the water lines so they don't get connected back wards at time of reassembly.

The counter top is held in front 3 sides.

There is a lager section of L shaped aluminum that runs along the inside wall of the trailer. I normally remove the screws from the wall and leave the L bracket attached to the counter.

There will be screws through the wall that the counter runs to next to the closet/shower/divider.

There will be screws that go up at the front edge on the underside of the counter. You will have to stick your head into the cabinet and then look up.

Once you remove all of the screws,remove the stove, disconnect the water and drain lines, the counter should be able to be lifted out and carried out in one piece.

One of th issues is that the Argosy line was built with an eye to cost. This means that that counter base is likely made out of particle board. If it has not gotten wet, reuse it. If it has gotten wet it will likely disintegrate.

You can use the original Formica as a template to make a new one if need be.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Leigh I feel your pain.
Both from anxiety in needing/wanting to remove the galley, and in the frustrations associated with searching for information on these forum mazes.
We too feel like we must remove the galley and do much cleaning and then revising the space underneath. Our main holdup is the fear of replacing it. It appears that it will come out in many pieces.

I wish Barbwire had followed up with this thread and I will follow your lead regularly on the subject. Maybe you should have started another thread or ask that this one be split off.
Galley dismantle or Kitchen cabinet overhaul or Galley R&R might help those searching in the future.

I am not sure about this but it sure seems that some of the most beneficial advisers and posters have for some reason quit participating very often or maybe at all. One problem is that if you don't read every post each day, then you are likely to miss so many of them. Also the names (subject) are often totally unrepresentative of the content, and I surmise that some of the Old Wise Ones just don't take or have the time to read all the many off topic stuff if they still come around at all.
Personally I think retaining the great minds of this forum is alot more important than retaining the rolls of the WBCCI. Although I wish that group "many happy returns" too.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Here we go!

Price has waded on in and successfully removed the stove/oven from the cabinet. It looks like our sides/shelving are made out of a metal covered w/wood grain look. That is what the stove was sitting on and also what is under the sink for shelf space. He is now trying to get at a rotten spot under the stove next to the outside door. (this is different than the spot under the sink which has had the recent leak). We, too, are without a digital at this point, so I can't post photos, but will try to keep a running commentary on this whole process.

As you said, NewKids64, the stove came out pretty easily w/the removal of the 4 screws. We were also able to then remove the side (metal/woodgrain) panel to the cabinet. That is as far as we are at this point, because Price is trying to cut out this rotten spot. Stay tuned in.

PS Thanks for your posts, guys, info and support ARE so important and this is a great group for both.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Old and Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
Leigh I feel your pain.
Both from anxiety in needing/wanting to remove the galley, and in the frustrations associated with searching for information on these forum mazes.
We too feel like we must remove the galley and do much cleaning and then revising the space underneath. Our main holdup is the fear of replacing it. It appears that it will come out in many pieces.

I wish Barbwire had followed up with this thread and I will follow your lead regularly on the subject. Maybe you should have started another thread or ask that this one be split off.
Galley dismantle or Kitchen cabinet overhaul or Galley R&R might help those searching in the future.

I am not sure about this but it sure seems that some of the most beneficial advisers and posters have for some reason quit participating very often or maybe at all. One problem is that if you don't read every post each day, then you are likely to miss so many of them. Also the names (subject) are often totally unrepresentative of the content, and I surmise that some of the Old Wise Ones just don't take or have the time to read all the many off topic stuff if they still come around at all.
Personally I think retaining the great minds of this forum is alot more important than retaining the rolls of the WBCCI. Although I wish that group "many happy returns" too.
The old and wise airstreamers are on the road in the summer so don't get to the forum as oftn.

Don
Old 08-14-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Its Scariest Right Before You Jump!

I am really tired right now. Have been out in the "Moonunit" pretty much all day and she kind of looks like "Charley" was inside her right now - but, I want to post that it wasn't as bad as we thought in terms of taking the galley out. There were quite a few screws to remove and we found that the side next to the closet was also riveted to the closet. We also had to end up removing the sinks from the top because we could not reach all the screws at the back of the galley where that L bracket held it. We think that the leak we recently experienced has to do with the kitchen faucet. The top is made of plywood and right where the faucet is the plywood is badly water damaged. We think that the water would drip below the sink, then depending on how level the trailer was (or tipped) it would run toward the front and end up on the floor close to the door, or in this last case maybe the trailer was tipped back a bit, so it ran toward the rear of the trailer, came up against the closet wall so it came out on the floor in front of the closet. We can see no other cause for water there. Now we need a new faucet and decide if we can wood putty the plywood or scrap it and start over there too. Much to do tomorrow. Finished for today, whew

Old 08-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
The top is made of plywood and right where the faucet is the plywood is badly water damaged.........decide if we can wood putty the plywood or scrap it and start over there too.
When I redid the kitchen work area on the 345 last year I found that the thin plywood underlayment had hardly any support, and was severly sagging. There was about a 3/4" belly in the middle. I fabricated two stringers, and installed them under the plywood just to the front and back of the sink, bringing the whole thing up to level and making the whole assembly much more robust.

I would not suggest wood putty for the faucet area - you will have no support where you need it the most. Could you scab another (thin) piece of plywood over the existing one?

If possible, check yours for level across the length of the sink area - if you have a belly, it might have added to water puddeling in the faucet cut-out area (the weakest point of the underlayment) and accelerated the rot process.

As small an area as you are working with, unless you are attempting an as built restoration, I would think that replacing with new (intrepret "better") would be the way to go.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:52 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
When I redid the kitchen work area on the 345 last year I found that the thin plywood underlayment had hardly any support, and was severly sagging. There was about a 3/4" belly in the middle. I fabricated two stringers, and installed them under the plywood just to the front and back of the sink, bringing the whole thing up to level and making the whole assembly much more robust.
Dennis, When I re-did the galley on my MH the Formica had large cracks in it and was bowed down. I was sure I had a water leak. What was the weakness was the thin plywood they used. I thought they only did that in the Argosies I ripped it all out and replaced it with 5/8 inch exterior glue plywood with a new laminate top.

I think what Lehigh is describing on the water damage is the floor, more than the counter. If the floor is not too bad, slightly damaged, I would suggest some rot-doctor to firm up the wood and stop the rot. If they can get the counter wood dry they could use it there too.

Leigh, it is good that you caught this early as the rot only grows. I am working on a project right now that $5.00 of sealant world have stopped and I have to replace 48sq ft plus of floor in a trailer
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Actually, Brett, we do have a badly water damaged place right where the kitchen faucet sat on the formica covered plywood. We are seriously looking at remaking the entire galley top and covering w/new formica since we have it out now - altho I really want to keep the visual look (ie. color scheme) as close to the original 70's as I can. That is why I hesitate to go new. Our formica does have a few minor cracks, but is in overall good shape. I really hope when we get all this decided and redone that the strange water leak that developed during this last trip was indeed because of the faucet. We cannot find anything around or near where the water was standing, nor can we find any other source close by. We did not see any cracks in the hoses, although I'm thinking we should test in some way. Just not sure how without water going everywhere.