Old 08-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Actually, Brett, we do have a badly water damaged place right where the kitchen faucet sat on the Formica covered plywood. We are seriously looking at remaking the entire galley top and covering w/new Formica since we have it out now - altho I really want to keep the visual look (ie. color scheme) as close to the original 70's as I can.

I have been looking at the available samples of Formica and Wilsonart. They have some that are very close to the current color you have. If you use the original for a template you can remake it to the point that no one will know it has been replaced. Laminate trimming is not hard, there are hand tools to do it, or you can go with a laminate trimmer (small router). While you have it out and are making a new counter I would also upgrade the faucet at this time. For the new plywood be sure to get exterior glue. It will resist water better. The edge trim should be reused, new laminate on it, but reused the, aluminum under piece.

As to the leak, it could just be a fitting that came loose after years of travel.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Where??

Hi again Brett, where are you seeing formica? We just got back from HD (to replace the faucet) and looked for formica. They dont carry any. I'm hoping to not get into too great of an expense. Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Hi again Brett, where are you seeing formica? We just got back from HD (to replace the faucet) and looked for formica. They dont carry any. I'm hoping to not get into too great of an expense. Thanks.
Home depot and Lowe's here stock some, and have the chip boards for other choices. If you have a local kitchen remodeling place they will have chip chains of ALL the offered colors and styles. The cost of a sheet is approx $50 .00. You will need the glue. Contact cement, a quart is more than you will need for your project. If you have a cabinet department in Home Depot or Lowe's, the color chips are hanging on a wall mounted board.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks Brett, for this info and for all your help thus far!!! I asked a guy at HD in the flooring dept. about formica. Maybe he just does not know other areas. I will call there tomorrow and also Lowes. If that does not get it, I guess another trip wont hurt. We got the plywood and cut using old as template, so far so good!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
My experience is that the special order stuff (the ones they have chips for) take about a week to come in. Depending on where you live and if there is a wholesaler you may be able to by direct and save time and money ( they stock 90% of the stuff), but they will want some paperwork .

Also the guy may have been confused. Formica does make a flooring product like pergo, only it looks like tile.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49