Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Special concerns for WD hitch on Minuet 6m?

I have read a couple things recently that made me think the Minuet models had a different size tongue beams or something...

I am buying a WD hitch and want to make sure any special needs/characteristics of the Minuet are taken into consideration when I make my decision.

I am considering mainly the Reese Straight-Line/Dual-Cam and the Equal-i-zer, and I will be getting the 600/6000# rating for either. I'm curious if there are issues with either model specifically for use with a Minuet 6.0 meter.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbop
I have read a couple things recently that made me think the Minuet models had a different size tongue beams or something...

I am buying a WD hitch and want to make sure any special needs/characteristics of the Minuet are taken into consideration when I make my decision.

I am considering mainly the Reese Straight-Line/Dual-Cam and the Equal-i-zer, and I will be getting the 600/6000# rating for either. I'm curious if there are issues with either model specifically for use with a Minuet 6.0 meter.

Thanks.
We've got a 77 Minuet and don't use an equalizer hitch, just don't need it.
I tow with a Chev 2500 pickup.
I have to ask what are you towing with? The tongue weight of the trailer is about 235lbs and a 600lbs equalizer would be pretty hard on the chassis. Way too stiff. The Minuet frame is really light in construction so if you must use that type of hitch be careful and don't bend the frame.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
zimbop, i have a minuet with 600# bars. tow with a chevy astro AWD. no sway bar attached. i went to salem, oregon in 2006 and talked to kevin[overlander 64] who has a minuet. he susgested the 600# to me. have not had a problem, set it up for level ride with tow car. this set up is nice, but it is my first trailer and have no experence with a bad tow with some other brand. passing semi's on two lane roads in opposite direction is stable. having semi's pass me on dual lane interstate's has slight and i mean slight sucking into the semi's. have bias ply tires, if that helps, i don't know. my axel was shot, and the equalizing hitch would drag on sidewalk approach and speed bumps. check the traling arms on your axel. i've replaced my axel with a inland rv replacement. 3200# cap, 35 degree down angle, 12 "brakes. this moved the ball up to 19 1/2 inches off the pavement, measured to top of the ball. it raised the tralier 5 1/2 inches up. good luck, ac.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
I will be towing mostly with a Nissan Xterra and my brother with a Toyota Tacoma. It's possible I won't need it but that's doubtful I think. My other truck (dodge 2500) shouldn't need the WD I suspect, it tows everything stable.

I chose 600# because it's the lowest I can get in either of those models. I'd go lower if I could.

The trailer I bought has a new axle and is quite roadworthy according to the seller. I Bought it on ebay last week from a member here, "gotair". It's mentioned several times in this forum.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
I will be towing mostly with a Nissan Xterra and my brother with a Toyota Tacoma. It's possible I won't need it but that's doubtful I think. My other truck (dodge 2500) shouldn't need the WD I suspect, it tows everything stable.

I chose 600# because it's the lowest I can get in either of those models. I'd go lower if I could.

The trailer I bought has a new axle and is quite roadworthy according to the seller. I Bought it on ebay last week from a member here, "gotair". It's mentioned several times in this forum.
I know your trailer well. Dan is a friend of mine.
You have a really nice trailer and Dan has taken care of it well.
As for not towing with a WD hitch on the Dodge... I would tell you that it is a good idea to use WD on any travel trailer. Whether it is a small trailer and a big truck or a large trailer and a big truck. Far too many people have found out the hard way of what happens when you loose control of the trailer and there is only the hitch ball between the truck and the trailer.
I would use the WD hitch on any tow vehicle mainly for the rigidity it gives you between the truck and the trailer. I have seen small travel trailers pulled down the road by big trucks; they were bouncing all over. I see that and I always shake my head in disbelief.
Trust me, you will feel far more secure using a WD hitch with any of your trucks.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I second that. I wouldn't hitch up without WD. Just because you have a big truck doesn't mean you're safe from failure. Granted, I wouldn't go overboard and put 750# bars on it, but I don't see a problem with 600#ers.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thank you all for the warnings about using WD with the dodge. That comment wasn't meant to suggest I wouldn't use WD with the Dodge, it was more that I was fosusing my WD choice with priority for the other vehicles instead. I will likely use it no matter what vehicle I tow it with, because I agree with all that has been said about redundancy and such.

In fact I learned that lesson the hard way myself. The first time I ever used a WD hitch I was towing a 20' enclosed car hauler across downtown minneapolis/st paul during rush hour. When I got to my destination to load up the car, when pulling the car onto the trailer ramp, the tongue came up off the ball because I had not clamped down the tongue latch properly. The only thing that saved me from bucking the trailer up was the WD bars, which had luckily held the trailer attached for the trip across town just before. So, yes, I appreciate the power of redundancy. Phew! The next 50,000 miles on that rig went quite smoothly, so I wouldn't do something like that again without WD, even with a heavy duty vehicle.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
I ordered my WD hitch. After deliberating much about it, I found only a couple units that were meant for trailers this light. Three in fact, one Valley with round bars and two Draw-Tite models, one with round bars, one with trunion bars. I really wanted trunion bars, but the draw-tite style uses pins with cotter pins and looked like a hassle to connect and disconnect compared to the reese quick-release trunion system. That quick release was my whole reason for wanting trunion bars in the first place, and they don't have anything less than 6000# so I gave up on that.

So I bought the Draw-Tite round-bar model from e-trailer.com because it had the shank included and is designed to work with the reese dual-cam if need be. I'm going to use that for a short trip to evaluate whether I need sway control or not, and if so I'll likely try the friction type first because the trailer already has the ball mounted on the side rail. If that's not peachy I'll get the dual cam. If I hate the whole thing I can always switch to an Equal-i-zer later.

I also got the prodigy brake control. Seemed like the best and most popular choice. The certainty factor there came from the quick-eject capability for moving that between vehicles. I got an extra cradle so we can swap it easily between my Xterra and my brother's Tacoma. There's wiring adaptors for the factory plug for both our vehicles so installation should be a snap. I am so looking forward to that being simple and foolproof (knock on wood). The first brake controler I ever had was installed for the same rig I mentioned in the previous post. But the idiots at the dealer installed it by tapping into the brake light circuit, rather than the brake pedal switch, so every time I turned on the hazard lights it pulsed the brakes along with the lights. Too bad I was many many miles down the road before I realized that. Somebody would have incurred a bit of unpleasant language from me about that one.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I am facing the same concerns. My Tradewind only had about 400# tongue weight, but I can increase that by running with the water tank full.

You can also add the weight of the bars, head and dual cam assembly to the tongue weight; they aren't insignificant.

I went with the Strait-Line primarily so I can use the dual cam for sway control. I don't want to go back to a friction bar ever. The first thing I did with the new head assembly was cut off the mounting tab for the friction bar.

Where did you order the extra saddle for the Prodigy? I need one for my son-in-law's truck. No way is he gonna borrow my Tahoe.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Where did you order the extra saddle for the Prodigy?

Replacement Pocket Bracket for Prodigy Brake Controller 7686 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

They also have a spare wiring harness, there's a link to it on that page.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
I am facing the same concerns. My Tradewind only had about 400# tongue weight, but I can increase that by running with the water tank full.

You can also add the weight of the bars, head and dual cam assembly to the tongue weight; they aren't insignificant.

I went with the Strait-Line primarily so I can use the dual cam for sway control. I don't want to go back to a friction bar ever. The first thing I did with the new head assembly was cut off the mounting tab for the friction bar.
I am expecting about 350-400 pounds for tongue weight. The hitch I ordered is good up to 500. I was also tempted by the straight line, but again, their lowest was 600#, and in that range I might be more tempted by the Equal-I-Zer. I also don't expect much from a friction sway control, but at least its an option. I can add the dual cam later to make mine equivalent to a straight-line. But with the oversized propane tanks and spare tire on the front, I'm just not sure how much access I'll have to the beams for additional rigging of the dual cam. That's why the equal-i-zer looked better. It may have been better to just get that one, but I was afraid of the high capacity and comments others have made about them being too stiff for these light trailers. Should I have any regrets? It might not be too late to change my order...
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks.
I've got the P-3 model and it takes a different bracket. Couldn't find it.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Thanks.
I've got the P-3 model and it takes a different bracket. Couldn't find it.
Well, now you're making me extra-glad that I got the prodigy. :-)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ok, so there was an unrelated delay on my hitch order and I now have the opportunity to change my mind if I want to about this hitch. What do you guys think, go with the Equal-i-zer 600# tongue weight or the Draw-tite 500# (which I can add either friction or dual-cam sway control to later). I like the Equal-i-zer hitch better but my only hesitation is that heavier duty rating which I am worried will be too hard on my trailer. Opinions please... thanks.