Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Some bath upgrades and repairs in our '75 Argosy24

The PO of our Argosy is a really good guy, but he did one thing that I just haven't been able to understand. The old sprayer for the toilet leaked when you flushed it, so instead of replacing it, he just chopped off the hose RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE and plugged the end with a big screw.

I guess I figured out why he didn't fix it right. It's a royal pain to get to the end of the hose, and it was fastened in place with horrible squeeze clamps made of round heavy wire. I spent a frustrating hour last week trying to get the clamp off and finally gave up, realizing I needed to get a better angle on those clamps and get to where I could see them directly (I had been using a mirror.)

Well, I ain't no dainty little thing, and the shower pan is pretty small with a tall, narrow edge. I brought some foam today so I could lay across the edge of the shower pan without needing medical attention afterward.

That got me this view:

and that helped me succeed, now there's a new cheapo sprayer for the dirty duty!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
New showerhead

I also upgraded the showerhead today. I bought the Oxygenics that so many airstreamers have recommended, and I bought the optional mount since the included mount expects you to have a shower arm coming out of the wall at the level you want to mount your showerhead.

I replaced the telephone showerhead's mount that was located here:

with the one included with the Oxygenics:

The 2 holes in the Oxygenics mount didn't line up with any pair of holes the original mount used, and someone had sheared off the lower of the 3 screws anyway, so I only had 2 holes to work with if I didn't want to extract the body of the old screw. So, I drilled the extra hole you can see on the Oxygenics mount in the photo above, and mounted it this way:

Now, to test all this the next time I bring the trailer to the house! At the moment there's no water in the fresh tank, I didn't get the key for the fill door until after I parked the trailer last. I'll bring it home on Wednesday the 3rd of August to load up for our trip to Eureka Springs on the 4th, and hopefully won't have to do any last-minute fixes.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Nice!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
"I ain't no dainty little thing"

......and I'm a small and quite an agile fella (for 51) but I swear these units were put together by folks that were no taller than 3'10". Had to be. No question.

Nice job.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
"I ain't no dainty little thing"

......and I'm a small and quite an agile fella (for 51) but I swear these units were put together by folks that were no taller than 3'10". Had to be. No question.

Nice job.

Bex
In retrospect it might have been easier to disconnect the toilet and get to the connection that way, but then I would have wanted to put a new seal for the toilet, and probably would have found some costly thing that I "should do while it's all taken apart" and we all know where that slippery slope leads.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Hmmm. Since I'm new to the Argosy and didn't pay close attention, do I understand correctly that the toilet sprayer is what provides the "flush" of the toilet? I don't recall even seeing one installed on the one I just purchased.

Thanks for the tip on the foam pads....I ain't no dainty fellow so my old camping foam pads will come in handy when I put one of these back on.

Be sure to tell us how the Oxygenics works out....is the head on that adjustable?
my3sonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The sprayer just provides a little extra. The toilet has a small pedal that lets you put some water in the bowl without opening the valve that dumps to the black tank and a big pedal that both runs the water and opens the valve. the sprayer is extra, for targeted cleaning.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Inspections: Nothing like having your face on the floor inside the toilet, ahem, spray pattern. . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Inspections: Nothing like having your face on the floor inside the toilet, ahem, spray pattern. . . .
Heh... It was quite bad enough that I was behind and to the street side of the thing.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The sprayer just provides a little extra. The toilet has a small pedal that lets you put some water in the bowl without opening the valve that dumps to the black tank and a big pedal that both runs the water and opens the valve. the sprayer is extra, for targeted cleaning.
You mean that sparyer's not for shampooing my hair?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock

You mean that sparyer's not for shampooing my hair?
Well, lots of ppl write about wanting to conserve gray water capacity... If you want to solve it that way, I don't want to know.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Woo hoo! it all works! I've showered, used the new sprayer, etc. at this little rally in AR and everything I've upgraded is working out well for us.

Mmmmm, hot shower

Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Oxygenics review

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
Hmmm. Since I'm new to the Argosy and didn't pay close attention, do I understand correctly that the toilet sprayer is what provides the "flush" of the toilet? I don't recall even seeing one installed on the one I just purchased.

Thanks for the tip on the foam pads....I ain't no dainty fellow so my old camping foam pads will come in handy when I put one of these back on.

Be sure to tell us how the Oxygenics works out....is the head on that adjustable?
The Oxygenics showerhead works quite well indeed. I am very pleased with that purchase. The head itself doesn't adjust, and it only provides one type of spray (no massage, spray-vs-stream, etc.) However, it comes with a little twist-collar valve that mounts between the hose and the body of the showerhead that will vary the flow. It's not quite the cutoff that came on the original telephone showerhead, but water doesn't leak from it either so that's a satisfactory trade-off! With a 40-45 psi regulator in place on my fresh-water inlet, the valve on the Oxygenics slows the water to a trickle when closed down, and when the valve is fully open the shower spray has a good, strong feel even with that low water pressure (and the mediocre flow inherent in a cheap regulator and the small-bore in an Airstream.)