Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
She's off for paint!

It wasn't exactly easy, and it wasn't always fun, but the body work is done and our '72 20 footer is now in the shop for her new paint job. Colors will be the same (but flipped) as our '99 'Burb - pewter overall, with a 4" wide indigo strip surrounding the beltline moulding and from the top of the rub rail down. I have black insert for the beltline extrusion, it should look nice against the blue.

I'll have it back when I return from Ft Campbell next Friday.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
That will be BEAUTIFUL, Bob! Please be sure and post pictures when you get her back!!

What kind of paint will they be using? And what kind of prep work?

I am gathering ideas for our 20 footer...

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Bob,

Interesting colour scheme. It'll make a very nice looking rig.

My 24 footer is being painted this week too. Mini Cooper PEPPER WHITE above the beltline with BLACK below - right down over the banana wraps.

I’ve polished the moldings in anticipation and have all new black vinyl inserts ready to go in.

Give us photos when you are done.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
That will be BEAUTIFUL, Bob! Please be sure and post pictures when you get her back!!

What kind of paint will they be using? And what kind of prep work?

I am gathering ideas for our 20 footer...

Susan
They're using a catalyzed enamel over a high adhesion 2 part primer. They'll be stripping most of the existing paint off (it's in REAL bad shape) and doing whatever sanding is necessary. I already did the hard stuff - banana wrap fabrication and replacement on both sides of the door, fixing a couple of bad creases and a couple of bad holes where the aluminum corroded through. I opted to leave a few minor dings intact. I'm not looking for a showpiece, just something that isn't butt ugly. I figured that if she had a few beauty marks, I won't be so tempted to slit my wrists the first time she takes a ding with the new paint job.

The worst part was deciding what to do when the full width tail light bezel disintegrated as I was drilling out the rivets that held it in place. My solution isn't perfect (and we'll wind up buying different lights in the long run), but it'll work and keep us camping until we find lights we really like. Making the new wraps by the door was a lot easier than I expected.

Anyway, it's a trailer, not the Taj Mahal. It's going to be on the road or parked in the woods, not in car shows!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Bob,

Interesting colour scheme. It'll make a very nice looking rig.

My 24 footer is being painted this week too. Mini Cooper PEPPER WHITE above the beltline with BLACK below - right down over the banana wraps.

I’ve polished the moldings in anticipation and have all new black vinyl inserts ready to go in.

Give us photos when you are done.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
That should be quite purdy! Post pix!

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bob, why not get the LED taillights that Airstream currently installs in their trailers?
Be sure to post pictures of Old Rivets when you get the paint on...
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Bob, why not get the LED taillights that Airstream currently installs in their trailers?
Be sure to post pictures of Old Rivets when you get the paint on...
We thought about those, but we're not sure we really like them enough to spend that kind of $$$. We need to get her a set of rock guards for those beautiful wrap around windows in front (not to mention a new furnace) before we drop that kind of money on tail lights.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
We thought about those, but we're not sure we really like them enough to spend that kind of $$$. We need to get her a set of rock guards for those beautiful wrap around windows in front (not to mention a new furnace) before we drop that kind of money on tail lights.
Bob, I think a catalytic heater would be better for that small trailer. It will be quieter, and use zero electricity when you boondock, not to mention it will free up more storage space under the left gaucho.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Old Rivets?

Is this the world's oldest Argosy we're talking about?
Love the paint scheme you got cooking there. Can't wait for the pics.

I agree entirely with O'63 about the cat heater. The wave 6 keeps us plenty warm in the 24 footer.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
She's done! (but not home (yet))

The weather was pretty bad here in NJ when I was off on my trip to Tennessee, so the shop wasn't able to have the paint done by the time of my return this past Friday. We left for Massachusetts on Saturday morning to visit Mom and my grandkids. When we got back into tiown this afternoon, I gave the shop a call and the paint is DONE! We took a spin over to check it out, but won't be picking her up until sometime tomorrow (they want to do some clean up work and give her a bath).

Anyway, here she is without her Argosy badges, tanks, or beltline vinyl trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0183.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	60398   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0184.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	60399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0185.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	60400  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I'm impressed!
Looks very nice in the photos.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! Looks great Bob. Think you need some shiney aluminum tanks in the front and some aluminum rims to match!
One of the stainless water heater doors would look nice as well.

Regarding the lights - any truck LED store will sell those "AS" rear LED's. Just without the big aluminum bezel (which doesn't match the curve of our trailers anyway). Buy the crome bezel for the lights that they sell and mount them flush. It'll look great.

Care to share the cost of the paint? Makes me kind of want to paint ours now!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Heater for Argosy

I installed an Olympian Wave 6 in our 6.0 metre Minuet. Works great! Have not used in winter but kept us toasty in October with temps down to the high 20's.

Planning on installing the same in our Argosy 20 when I have everything else ship shape.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
The paint job set me back $2080.00 + tax (NJ sales tax is 7.00%). The cost to strip & prep was $1200, painting (primer + 3 colors involved, Pewter, Indigo, and black (for hitch & rear bumper)) was $800, misc charges for other materials was $80.00. At that price, I had to do all the body repairs (lots of fun), but our trailer was in pretty good shape, so it wasn't too big a deal.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny2
I installed an Olympian Wave 6 in our 6.0 metre Minuet. Works great! Have not used in winter but kept us toasty in October with temps down to the high 20's.

Planning on installing the same in our Argosy 20 when I have everything else ship shape.
The only problem I see with a cat is where to mount it in an Arg 20... Have any ideas?

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
The only problem I see with a cat is where to mount it in an Arg 20... Have any ideas?
Right where it's mounted in our Sovereign.On the small wall by the main entry door. The P.O. removed the extension shelf above the area, and mounted the cat heater there about 4" off the floor, centered on that "wall".
Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #17
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Very nice Bob.

We must attend a rally together and park together. We have very similar main body color.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Where??

Bob,
Beautiful paint job. Where did you get it done? I'm in Newtown, PA just over the Delaware river) and am interested in having my new-to-me 1975 20' Argosy moho repainted.
Kathy in PA
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Bob, the paint job looks great....the price seems pretty reasonable too. I can't wait to see a picture of it hooked up to the Suburban.
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
Hi Bob; Boy, I feel left out. You did not tell me you were getting it painted. Getting into new subject of rockguards, I have purchased 2' X 4' X 3/16" scratch resistant polycarbonate for rock guards, which I will be heat forming myself. When I return from camping next week my klegicell foam should be in. I will be making a fiberglass over klegicell molds [2 pc.] Because of glass having a vertical bubble, I want to maintain equal space along the whole perimeter of the window. The polycarbonate cost me $115.00 per sheet and it is Smoke Gray.

Once the molds are glassed over and finish sanded the polycarbonate will be heat formed on top of the molds. If you wish you can borrow them when I am done. I think that the front curved glass is the same in yours as in my 26'. I have some good ideas for frame and fasteners. You know me, if it is expensive or not available we can make anything our selfs.
I sure want to see your paint job, but the weekend of 23rd we will be tied up with other stuff. Perhaps we can get together at the end of August. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote