Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
TV is '99 Range Rover 4.6HSE , California
Rubber drain tube near H2O hookup - what is it?

Hi all,

I have water dripping from the black vertical rubber tube that is located near the water hookup connection. I hooked up to city water and noticed this tube leaking after awhile. I've just now unhooked from the city water and it is still dripping.

What is the function of this rubber tube? I don't seem to see it in my manual re: overflow tube or some other function.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you are running your AC, it may be the drain tube for condensation.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
If you are running your AC, it may be the drain tube for condensation.
I agree. Our AC condensation water tube drains from the street-side wheel-well of our 2007 23' Safari SE.

We put a screen on it as a deterrent to mud dauber wasps. See photos here.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
On my 75 Sovereign it is the water system drain (winterization)
ted
Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
It could be connected to a drain for your fresh water plumbing. If so, the tube should be attached to a water valve...the valve might not be all the way closed. Is there another one near it? There is one for hot and one for cold.
Tom
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There is a pressure pop off valve in the plumbing near the city inlet as well as a check valve to allow the pump to build pressure when on 12v. You might check these if it isn't the AC. That hose is probably connected to the pop off valve so that is the first thing I'd suspect. They get gunk in them or get weak with age and don't shut off once triggered.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
I think Argonaut nailed it. It's the pressure bleed off for your pressure regulator. Our drips a bit too. Changing out that regulator is a real PIA mostly because of the lack of acess. I just use an external pressure regulator connected to the hose bib.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Ruben

1977 Argosy 24
Monterey County , California
On my Argosy 77` rear-door 24` my hose coming out the by the water-inlet seems to be the Low-drain valves(top right pic) for the fresh water system as I just removed my toilet & wanted to drain all the water in lines(I too was not sure what mine were but when I opened them & ran outside...water did drain from this hose plus the water inlet),

I`m curious to know that if my plumbing set-up to a 77` rear-door Argosy has the same plumbing set-up at the Water-inlet(top left pic) to anyone else that has a similar set-up?
attached should be a couple of pics of the area(s) & curious to know if anything is wrong or missing in my Water-line IN set-up(some of the plywood in the pics shows darken & what appears to be wet spots but it`s not...as I sealed any plywood flooring I could reach throughout trailer(prior to removing any shelving for these pics)
I have two water leaks at these connections & am getting ready to do a retrofit/replacement.

update: I was able to remove my Thetford/Model SL Aqua-Magic toilet by removing 1 nut under pedals & 1 nut behind base of toilet(Total of 2 nuts for hold-down),
after removal & cleaning of the toilet I noticed that there was some toilet paper stuck in the slide-seal & after removing it...then filling the bowl with water inside the seal in the slide-seal slowly leaks/dribbles thru the base-hole,
I also did a web-search for this particular Model & believe I found that this toilet has capablity of attaching a spray nozzle end for cleaning(which could have been part of my leak because this hose/attachment was not hooked up to underside of toilet & it looks like there is a stem for this size of hose)...nevertheless, I think since I have it all torn apart I may as well use a rebuild-kit on the toilet to help ensure limited problems in the future.

When removing my toilet I noticed what seems like 2 rubber seals between the toilet to base connection...is this correct? or should there only be one seal?
Thank`s in advance for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArgosyWaterLineIN.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	63821   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArgosyLOWDRAINLINES.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	63822  

Name:	ArgosyWaterVentLine.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	63823   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArgosyToiletSEALTop.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	63824  

Name:	ArgosyToiletSEALBottom.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	63825  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Granaudio
It is amazing how old everything gets where you never touch it or the plumbing is not exposed. How clean and nice it was when new.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Ruben

1977 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by granaudio View Post
On my Argosy 77` rear-door 24` my hose coming out the by the water-inlet seems to be the Low-drain valves(top right pic) for the fresh water system as I just removed my toilet & wanted to drain all the water in lines(I too was not sure what mine were but when I opened them & ran outside...water did drain from this hose plus the water inlet),

I`m curious to know that if my plumbing set-up to a 77` rear-door Argosy has the same plumbing set-up at the Water-inlet(top left pic) to anyone else that has a similar set-up?
attached should be a couple of pics of the area(s) & curious to know if anything is wrong or missing in my Water-line IN set-up(some of the plywood in the pics shows darken & what appears to be wet spots but it`s not...as I sealed any plywood flooring I could reach throughout trailer(prior to removing any shelving for these pics)
I have two water leaks at these connections & am getting ready to do a retrofit/replacement.

update: I was able to remove my Thetford/Model SL Aqua-Magic toilet by removing 1 nut under pedals & 1 nut behind base of toilet(Total of 2 nuts for hold-down),
after removal & cleaning of the toilet I noticed that there was some toilet paper stuck in the slide-seal & after removing it...then filling the bowl with water inside the seal in the slide-seal slowly leaks/dribbles thru the base-hole,
I also did a web-search for this particular Model & believe I found that this toilet has capablity of attaching a spray nozzle end for cleaning(which could have been part of my leak because this hose/attachment was not hooked up to underside of toilet & it looks like there is a stem for this size of hose)...nevertheless, I think since I have it all torn apart I may as well use a rebuild-kit on the toilet to help ensure limited problems in the future.

When removing my toilet I noticed what seems like 2 rubber seals between the toilet to base connection...is this correct? or should there only be one seal?
Thank`s in advance for any input!
By the way, this "low-drain" area of my trailer sustained some light exterior-body damage which is probably most of the cause of my leaks as some of my copper-lines(the lines run right up against this wall that was bashed-in) ...is all copper soldered joints & leak here(plus other joints).
Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Ruben

1977 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by granaudio View Post
By the way, this "low-drain" area of my trailer sustained some light exterior-body damage which is probably most of the cause of my leaks as some of my copper-lines(the lines run right up against this wall that was bashed-in) ...is all copper soldered joints & leak here(plus other joints).
I do believe some PO or service guy left the "Optional" Hand Spray wand(optional on some Models) dis-connected on my assembly which is why I heard & seen such alot of running water behind toilet area when testing system.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
This looks like someone removed the pressure regulator and pressure relief valves to go straight through. I don't see a check valve, either. The upper left is the water inlet area I assume.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
Ruben

1977 Argosy 24
Argonaut20-
I thought something(s) might be missing in the plumbing system,
by any chance do you have any pics of your plumbing layout to look at for reference?
are the pressure regulator & pressure relief valves necessary within the plumb system? & where should they be installed?
& what about the check valve? is this also a necessary item?
Upper left is water line IN area.
Thank`s!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There is VERY little room in the inlet area of the Minuet, so pics are not any good without taking the area apart. That being said, here is the order from the inlet into the trailer:
The inlet comes into the trailer, then to a pressure regulator and pop off, then to the check valve. The pressure regulator and pop off might be dispensed with if you consistently use a pressure regulator on the spigot whenever you are hooked up to 'city' water. The pressure in campgrounds can be quite high so a regulator to protect the hose and trailer is not a bad idea in any case. It looks like you have room to work so replacing the regulator and pop off wouldn't be too terrible a job. Soldering a couple fittings would do it.
As for the check valve, it is to keep the water from going out the inlet when you are using the on board pump because you aren't hooked up in a campground. It might work to have a good plug and washer on the inlet fitting.

All this stuff would go after the inlet gets into the trailer and before that first elbow. I did it by coming up from the inlet fitting and soldering an ell on inside the trailer. I then soldered a 1/2" IPT adapter to this so I could put a union and all pipe threaded equipment on to minimize the soldering. Once I got the check valve in place I went to pex to connect in to the existing plumbing. (The trailer was plumbed with polybutelene so this wasn't a big deal.) I tied the inlet assembly down so it was solidly mounted.
I decided to replace this whole string on my Minuet as all of it was junk when I bought it. I wanted it functioning as original. You need to decide how much you want to do.