Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Resolved propane smell....I think

Once again I belive it's user error. After taking apart the lower burner tray to expose the pilot (and clean) I put the propane sniffer on the pilot. It went off. I aired it out and looked at all my knob settings. The oven was turned off but it was not turned to "Pilot off". After trning "Pilot off" the alarm did not go off.

I can't believe this is actually a feature. Seems more of a hazard than a featurte, to me at least.

I'll retest in another hour or so.

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It's a convenience and safety feature, really. It allows you to use the stove and oven as normal when parked and in use, but completely shuts off the gas for storage or moving. If you were to leave the stove in pilot on mode and then shut off the tanks outside, whenyou turned the gas supply back on, the stove and oven pilots would be on but not lit.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Its still its not right

The pilot thermostat is heated prior to pilot ignition in order to activate and hold open the pilot gas valve. When you light the pilot, thats why you have to hold the on off knob depressed for a while...30 secs to 1 min....holding that shutoff valve open manually until the heated thermostat does its thing. If you have combustion fuel flowing befor the thermostat does just that...you have a dangerous problem. That "pilot off" position on the selector knob is just a position....not an actual valve moving switch.

Regardless, if I'm right or wrong....have it looked at by a pro.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
I've checked several times now and when the "pilot off" knob is set, there is no propane smelt nor detected. As soon as I turn the oven selecor to just Off, the detector goes off and my wife smells the propane.

Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
About what I suspected, glad you got it worked out.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
What the Owners manual said....

According to the owners manual (guess I should have read first) it says for normal use: turn only between Off and Broil. When traveling , turn to "Pilot Off'. Relight only when you want to use the oven by turning from "Pilot Off" to "Off" and lighting with a match.

So....according to this turning to Off (which is where I had it while we smelled the propane) and lighting by striking a match implies gas is flowing.......very, very odd and scary.

Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Some of these RV stoves, at least the ones's I'm familiar with out of the '70s do not have a thermal safety switch like the water heaters that kills the pilot and the burner. On these units the burner is safetied, but the pilot safety is YOU. It's how they were built.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote