Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
TV is '99 Range Rover 4.6HSE , California
Replacing front wrap around window on 1975 23'

More newbie drama has taken place along with the 'bad towing' problem.

During transport, the trailer took a rock to one of the front side (curved) windows. Again, I can't show a picture since I'm not w/the trailer, but it sounds like it's kind of punctured in (rather than shattered) and I don't think the frame is compromised (TBD).

I have it headed to a custom glass shop where the guy will tell me if he can handle a repair. I also pulled a $780 quote from lvland.com (?) for a replacement that includes new window AND frame. Seems kind of pricey so I'm hoping the glass shop can get it done for less effort and $$.

Am I being dumb to have a custom window shop try to do the work? Should I go to an Airstream service shop instead? Or bite the bullet and get the replacement window/frame?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
mendosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
OEM is almost irreplaceable. I've got both a 24' Argosy and a pano windowed '06 Safari SE. I understand that replacements are available but only in tinted -- whereas your original is untinted. About your only other option is lexan.

Then you'll want to do this - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nuet-9638.html. I did my Argosy -- not a narrow body minuet as in the instructions. But there are a few more tricks than contained in those instructions. Ask again if you start to look at it yourself.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
curved windows

wow! i'm going to the factory in ohio to get mine looked at. they need new seals. hope they aren't that expensive to repair. they aren't broken but will need new rubber/gasket. i'm not willing to mess w/ that and want to keep the dbl. pane windows. i plan to start a thread but will wait till i get tt to the factory 2/4/08.

crowbar
Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yikes! Oh that's terrible. You might find one on Ebay, but they're pretty rare. Or call / email Colaw's RV salvage. PM member Balgrin as well, as he had an Argosy he was parting out. Oh.. I feel your pain.

Hard to imagine just a "hole" in the glass, as it's safety glass, and designed to shatter. However, if it is at all repairable, then I'd go that route. Get pics sent to you, as I take it that you haven't seen it yet.

Doesn't the trailer company have tow insurance to pay for the damage? The trailer is in his possession. The quote from Andy I'm sure includes labor... which is pretty involved (taking the frame out, re-riveting / sealing). The glass and frame alone is about $400 if I recall correctly. Not anybody can repair these.

If the trailer insurance doesn't cover incidentals (I'd check your contract), then I'd just make a claim on your own insurance.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The three-piece rock guard you need will run about the same price as the replacement window. Obviously, it is money well-spent, plus it makes the trailer look more cooler...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might call Colaws
COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | RV Rebuilders, Wrecked, Refurbished RVs [Recreational Vehicles]
or Cherokee RV parts
http://www.cherokeervparts.com/

Those windows are hard to come by as salvage but you may get lucky.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
After reading this post again, I am not sure what trailer model you have. If it is a 23' Airstream, it is a Safari. In that case you can get the one piece "sunglasses" for around $350 or half the price of the window. The Argosy's have a different style (nicer) window and require a different (more expensive) rock guard.
Did I miss something here?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
E Bay Windows

There are currently 2 driver side/road side windows on E Bay. The E BAY windows are new old stock untinted and frame is included, price is $500 + $115 shipping. I bought one of the windows and it arrived promptly in perfect condition. If you are interested search for "Airstream Window" in E Bay Motors the windows are in E Bay store and will not come up if you search for Airstream only.

I am assumming you need Large Argosy type window based on price you were quoted.
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
After reading this post again, I am not sure what trailer model you have. If it is a 23' Airstream, it is a Safari. In that case you can get the one piece "sunglasses" for around $350 or half the price of the window. The Argosy's have a different style (nicer) window and require a different (more expensive) rock guard.
We established in another thread they have an Argosy 22 rear entry.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Opps, missed that one.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Richard, thanks for the info. I've updated my profile to show my model which, as mentioned, is the 22' rear door Argosy. I'll pursue all these options and continue to post my experience for others to reference in the future.

Great forum - thanks for all the help!!
mendosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh, I feel for you!
I just had one replaced, don't even ask.
Mine was ordered from the factory and was clear.

It's a 2 person job, that window/frame is heavy!

It's a pretty big job, with lot's of rivet drilling.
The new frame has the rivet holes drilled and needs to be aligned with the existing holes in the shell.

Andy's price is not out of line, and once done you could move on to other things.
I would not have regular glass shop work on my rig, unless you want leaks!

Good luck,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r10.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	53188   Click image for larger version

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	53189  

Name:	r6.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	53190  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendosoft
More newbie drama has taken place along with the 'bad towing' problem.

During transport, the trailer took a rock to one of the front side (curved) windows. Again, I can't show a picture since I'm not w/the trailer, but it sounds like it's kind of punctured in (rather than shattered) and I don't think the frame is compromised (TBD).

I have it headed to a custom glass shop where the guy will tell me if he can handle a repair. I also pulled a $780 quote from lvland.com (?) for a replacement that includes new window AND frame. Seems kind of pricey so I'm hoping the glass shop can get it done for less effort and $$.

Am I being dumb to have a custom window shop try to do the work? Should I go to an Airstream service shop instead? Or bite the bullet and get the replacement window/frame?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
That price included freight.

Pricey you bet. Talk to Airstream about that.

A glass shop can have a window made.

BUT,when the window is installed it changes shape.

If your glass shop doesn't get it "exactly" correct, you more than likely will break the glass before the installation is completed.

Secondly, the gasket is not available.

If you have insurance, they will pay for the glass.

Also, only solar gray glass is availble.

Clear glass has not been availble for many years.

However, I will double check Monday with Airstream to make super sure.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Andy, thanks for followup...

Yeah, I'm sure the price is pretty much set by Airstream and that you 'pay a premium' for the brand - not a big deal and pretty much expected. Kind of like owning German cars - they can cost $$ when they break, but when you have them set up there's nothing nicer (IMO). Though I now pull w/a Range Rover 4.6, eventually we want a Touareg V10 TDI - and that'll cost money to maintain!

Of course Range Rover parts (my tow vehicle) are also ridiculously expensive and compounded by the weak $/GBP exchange rate (parts are from the UK...), so expensive cost of ownership is nothing new to me and I'm used to paying top $ when dealing with quality brands like Airstream and consider it part of the total cost of ownership.

My strategy with my situation is to try the glass shop and see what they can do. They *claim* to be ready to make a custom mold, etc. - we'll see. If it's not a good long term solution, I'll likely come back and shop w/Andy and amortize the cost over the years we own the trailer.

Oh, and I might have some coverage from insurance (very likely), so that'd help defray the $700+ for a new window as well. In the end, we'll do what we need to 'get it fixed right'.

Thanks again for the help!!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Pictures of shattered window (finally!)

Had the guy at the storage place snap these pics. It looks like the frame is fine and just the window and seals need to be replaced. Given the frame is in good shape, it seems like I could get the plexiglass replaced if it was done by a good shop - any comments versus replacing the frame + window with something that's airstream authentic?

Nice to see she's stored in a dry and safe place at least, but we're itching to get her home!

Thanks!!!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	53573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	53574  

Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendosoft
Had the guy at the storage place snap these pics. It looks like the frame is fine and just the window and seals need to be replaced. Given the frame is in good shape, it seems like I could get the plexiglass replaced if it was done by a good shop - any comments versus replacing the frame + window with something that's airstream authentic?

Nice to see she's stored in a dry and safe place at least, but we're itching to get her home!

Thanks!!!

Steve
Steve.

Plexiglass cracks and crazes in 30 to 60 days, which weakens it. It was not designed to take sun light, ever.

More importantly, the thickness of any plastic that you can use is 1/8 inch.

That size plastic, when hit with air currents, will flex and blow out.

Remember, if the trailer is going 60 mph and you meet a large vehicle coming towards you at 60 mph, the resultant wind speed is 120 mph, far more than needed to blow the window out.

You can, however, if you wish to use plastic for a wrap window, install a rock guard over the front three windows, but that costs over $600.00 by itself.

Unfortunately, there is no cheap solution to replacement of a broken wrap window.

Also, today, they are only available in solar gray.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
Thanks again, Andy...

Yeah, I hear your points exactly, and if it wasn't for the issue of not having a clear window rather than the tint, I'd have already ordered a replacement from you most likely. I'm kind of stuck on the 'clear window' look being maintained, so that's my first preference if it's possible somehow. If not, then we'll go with the factory replacement w/tint.

Too bad Airstream doesn't have any subcontractors who make replacement parts to give the marketplace some more options (clear/tint, whatever). It seems like someone could make decent $$ manufacturing replacement parts most commonly needed.

Great forum, thanks a lot to everybody!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
alternatives

what about lexan or acrylic? i know some of them are uv proof and can be bent. don't know about strength vs. thickness?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Check out Out-of-Doors Mart
they have the side wing windows for 70's AS, but I do not remember if they have the wrap around for Argosy's. They also have "sunglasses" on sale right now.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
Has anyone heard if a front bra type protector over the windows and lower front section would work if padded to protect from rocks & stones? The canvas shop in my area said that they have made lots of stone/rock guards for RV's and trucks that work very well. They also suggested to use SS snaps to install and remove the bra quickly. Price quoted is @ $300.00
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote