Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Replacing Front Gaucho w/Dinette- flexible foldout beds

The standard gaucho/table in our Argosy 26 doesn't work for us. I have 2 small boys and eventually expect to have their friends travel with us. Not sure how anyone actually manages to eat at these tables as most of the space on one side is unusable.

After reviewing the various dinette ideas and threads on the forum (Pizzachop, Gang227, TGTwinkie), I'm looking to replace the standard Argosy gaugho/table config with a dinette/flexible fold out bed. By flexible foldout, I mean I'd like to have the option to have the dinette be converted to either 2 twins (one on each side), an almost queen (side & center) or almost king size (2 sides & center) sleeping area. Many of these configurations use up the entire space across the front door. But who is coming & going when the beds are up?

The basic idea is to use:
(1) 3 28x20 hinged panels as both side seats & seat backs and when turned 90 degrees and folded out, as the base of the side twins
(2) and a set of 30x30 panels as the table and center base for the queen/king bed configuration.

The sketch might be small but it gives you an idea of what I'm considering. The exact dimensions might also need to be adjusted slightly to deal with the various constraints (front curvarture, difference in streetside/curbside area from the front to cabinets).

Has anyone considered doing something like this? Did you attempt it or what made you change your mind?

What I haven't entirely worked out is the support structure for the bed configuration in the otherwise open area (when in the dinette configuration). I'm thinking I can use a combination of:
(a) the framing of the dinette & leg post of the table
(b) L shaped lips from the cabinet to the street/curb side walls
(c) 3 additional leg posts at/near the unsupported hinged joints of each panel set. I am planning to use FLOR carpet tiles, so I'm thinking I could use recessed/flush post mounts that will otherwise be hidden from view by the carpet tiles when not in the bed configuration.

One of my questions/concerns is what material to use for the panel sets. Since they will need to be lifted and rotated from the seat to the bed configuration they will need to be both lightweight and rigid enough to be used as a base for both bed and seat. I would think plywood might get rather heavy for this application at these sizes, but maybe not? Any suggested alternative materials I should consider?

I also found these gas adjustable table legs
RV Adjustable Table Legs,Gas Powered Pedestals

They're expensive, but wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

Feedback and further ideas appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front gaucho-table.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	147429  
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One Word...

Fire!

One reason to never block the door. Diarrhea might be another less serious one.

How about a doorside bench that could flip OVER and unfold into a BUNK on top of the streetside "twin". Legs would have to fit into reciever hole or groove on the lower twin. Take a gander at the Eddie Bauer's dinette and how it folds up and self-stores it's own legs.

Hm... king bed and teenagers... teenagers aren't innocent anymore and "hookup" doesn't mean meet at the malt shop anymore.

Paula

Just noticed the vista views. Kills that idea unless the lower roadside "bunk" drops to the floor.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Put the teenagers outside on air mattresses in a tent! I speak as one who knows! They talk and eat all night then want to sleep all day. It's perfectly normal but if they're IN the trailer with you...YOU don't get to sleep! Have fun, it's not a job...it's an adventure!
(Can you tell I'm "Foiled Again's evil sister?)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
You guys are way ahead of the game....my boys are just 4 and 7!

I grew up as a teenager traveling in my parents 22' Travco...sometimes with my friends.
I KNOW all the tricks!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Here's what we did (we have 2 kids, opposite sex).....we left the front gaucho in place, as well as the folding table, but took out the credenza and built a chair that folds into a small twin bed (it flips out with a sliding tray)...hopefully the pics do it justice.

We can all still sit down and eat at the table (son and wife on the gaucho, daughter on the new chair, and me on the folding leg-o-matic chair), and then it all folds away. An added bonus is that we still have the double bed up front if needed.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Col. Station , Ohio
Have to agree with Foiled that blocking the door is not the best idea.

I am getting ready to start the same project. After considering all the options I'm going to duplicate the dinette AS sold as an option back in the 70's. Kevin242 put up some pictures and drawings of a factory dinette a while back and it looks as though it it should work in pretty well.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
...took out the credenza and built a chair that folds into a small twin bed (it flips out with a sliding tray)...
Good idea...unfortunately a 26' Argosy doesn't have enough space between the foldout table and the refer (same position as yours) to add a chair as show in your pics. I think the PO used 2 legomatic chairs one in the aisle way of the kitchen and one facing opposite the door at the end of the table.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
A runner up ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynavy View Post
Kevin242 put up some pictures and drawings of a factory dinette a while back and it looks as though it it should work in pretty well.
Yes, this was one of my favorites of those that I found and strongly considered. One modification idea to it comes from my parents Travco. There was a folding/rachet mechanism at the joint of the seat bottom and seat back that allowed the the bottoms to slide forward and backs down to form the bed. It was very convenient in that the mechanism also allowed the back to lean forward (in either seat or bed configuration) to give access to the storage area underneath the seat. the table/post were stored under the bed and not used as part of the beds support system.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
For reference these are the Eddie Bauer dinette part numbers...haven't priced them yet.

Table #967690-19
Furniture base #967686-19

c/s dinette base #967687-19
r/s dinette base #967688-19
sofa base #967689-19
foam and covers #703918-10
leaf spring #454613
sofa leg #454856
dinette leg #454855 (2)