Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Calgary , Alberta
Removing front floor

Hello everyone...

We'll I have not done much in the last while, but I decided to start again today. There was some floor rot on the front piece of plywood so I have decided that I would try and get it out today. So I was removing the screws in the floor and was getting ready to pull it out and noticed that it was not coming out all that easy. So I had to remove the front aluminum pieces and to my amazement it looks like the plywood was bolted to the frame. I am hoping that I will be able to remove the bolts and lift the plywood off. I am hoping the I will not have to remove the front belly pan but I am sure that will have to happen. Anyways I will go and take some photos and upload later today. The one nice thing is that I will be able to remove the existing 7 pin plug wiring, electric jack, and brake controller wires and redo them all. So the aluminum that was installed in the front has tons of screw holes from the PO for their attachment for the front dinette. I was going to fill and sand down but I am now thinking that I will replace the front pieces with a new piece of aluminum. My question is does anyone know where I can get some in the Calgary area. Also the plastic edging that surrounds the front pieces are super brittle and I need to replace the so I trying to locate those as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I put in patches without dropping the pan.

The bolts will be rusted and be cuttable or breakable.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps1a2f2fc2.jpg

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are correct in assuming the plywood is bolted to the frame of the trailer.
It is sandwiched between the "C" channel of the body and the frame of the trailer. At the factory they put the plywood on the frame and then set the shell on top. Bolting it thru the plywood.
IMHO. This is the main reason for the floor rot problems in virtually all A$ trailers. Between using plywood and sometimes OSB. It is destined for failure. Even coaches less than 5 years old have floor rot problems from leaks.
A$ knows that leaks are inevitable and have chosen not to make design changes to prevent the dreaded floor rot problem.
Hopefully you are not destine to what is called a " shell off" restoration.
Good Luck with your project.
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. While I have not done a " shell off" I have done a lot of work to our coach.
If I can help in any way. Don't hesitate to ask.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly I would have to have bigger problems than merely rotten plywood to do a shell off. Plywood is easy to replace shell on. I didn't drop the belly pan because I didn't need to.

I was on a budget and a schedule. We went from purchase to our first trip in about 90 days.

Time spent not camping matters....
Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Yes, the plywood is bolted to the frame as well as the aluminum superstructure. In several spots it it bolted through the superstructure, plywood and into the frame. It is the one element that holds the whole trailer together. It allows the upper superstructure and the frame to be one rigid box.

You do not need to pull down the belly pan in order to replace a section of plywood. But if you haven't pulled it down to inspect the frame, I would plan on doing that sometime in the near future, maybe in the late fall or winter if you think you will have some downtime. You have a 35 year old trailer there, and it could just have surface rust or it could have more serious issues with the frame that you just dont know about. Plus it has all that lovely pink fiberglass underneath the floor that helps to retain moisture up against the frame. Hopefully its all in good shape, but you already have a spot with rot, so why take the chance.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Keep in mind, it is possible to inspect the frame in the local area of the floor rot from the top once the rotten area is cut out and removed.

Yea this is not going to tell a person everything about frame condition but it can allow a reasonable person to make reasonable projections of condition.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1966 17' Caravel
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If the rot is localized have you considered epoxy? There are penetrating epoxies that will stabilize the plywood if it is not to the consistency of toilet paper. Otherwise, you really should drop the belly pan in the area you are working in as the floor bolts through the frame need to come out as well as the bolts that hold the shell-floor-frame sandwich together. They are easier to replace with the belly pan out and it is easier to break them off when you can get underneath.

The alternative is to drill new holes in the floor you are putting in and use self tapping bolts as sold by VTS or others. Check out the floor replacement posts in these forums before you get really involved.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I had to do the rear of ours. Lucky we have the rear bedroom, not bathroom. I too thought it would be a simple matter of pulling out the old and replacing with new. I bit the bullet and dropped the pan. The whole job took me a weekend, but I was a day and a half nearly, trying to figure out how to get it done without getting underneath.
I have the channel for the trailers, if you need it. I am in Eckville. Well near Eckville.

Bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingwKids View Post
Hello everyone...

We'll I have not done much in the last while, but I decided to start again today. There was some floor rot on the front piece of plywood so I have decided that I would try and get it out today. So I was removing the screws in the floor and was getting ready to pull it out and noticed that it was not coming out all that easy. So I had to remove the front aluminum pieces and to my amazement it looks like the plywood was bolted to the frame. I am hoping that I will be able to remove the bolts and lift the plywood off. I am hoping the I will not have to remove the front belly pan but I am sure that will have to happen. Anyways I will go and take some photos and upload later today. The one nice thing is that I will be able to remove the existing 7 pin plug wiring, electric jack, and brake controller wires and redo them all. So the aluminum that was installed in the front has tons of screw holes from the PO for their attachment for the front dinette. I was going to fill and sand down but I am now thinking that I will replace the front pieces with a new piece of aluminum. My question is does anyone know where I can get some in the Calgary area. Also the plastic edging that surrounds the front pieces are super brittle and I need to replace the so I trying to locate those as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The bolts can be cut with an air chisel or the edge of a 4 inch grinding wheel
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The bolts can be cut with an air chisel or the edge of a 4 inch grinding wheel
Yeah, I used both and bought self tapping metal floor screws from Fastenal to fix the new section in place.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Removing front floor

I have maybe about 4 hours in the patches pictured above and some more that are not pictured, sometimes the fast way is the way to go.

(And sometimes not. ) I also cut the rusty bolts and went back with a lot os 1/4" self tappers, also from Fastenall.