Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
AZArgosyGuy

Redecorating our 1977 26T

The baby has new tires and a new A/C unit. She is roadworthy as soon as I get new shocks on her. Anyone have a part number from Monroe or any other shock mfg for them? I can't read any numbers on any shock. Has anyone redone their floors with TrafficMaster vinyl plank flooring and if so, what prep did you do and did you use any additional adhesive? My wife would like to replace the curtains in the front on the large window. Any one have any new way to do curtains there? If not, I need a source for the plastic slides that hold the curtains in place. Mine are so brittle from the AZ sun that they crumble when you touch them. Finally, what is the best source for light fixture lenses? I have all the fixtures working but no lenses survived the AZ heat.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions in the forum. My new tow vehicle is now a 2003 Durango, 5.9, full tow pkg and a 3.55 posi rear. I am seeing 12 mpg at 65 mph. Is that about what I should expect? My 2011 Nissan Xterra pulled it ok on the flat but the trailer often was controlling the Xterra, not the other way around. Can't wait to get the baby finished so we can camp again!
bobbyg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Pulverizer

1977 29' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Did you find replacement shocks for your 77? I have a 77 29'er and I think I'm due to replace the shocks... any tips or advise would be appreciated? Brand new on here today... Thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I think you can get the shocks, curtain slides and lenses from Inland RV. If they are not on the website, call them because they don't list everything. I have Monroe Magnum 555003 shocks on mine.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
Inland RV, Out of doors Mart and Vintage Trailer Supply are great sources for parts. There are a couple of places that specialize in airstream curtains, I cant remember their name but do a search here and you will come up with them.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
I just purchased new curtain slides from Vintage Trailer Supply. They are awesome. They don't need to be sewn on like the old ones; it's a hook and eye configuration. Order the drapery hooks they sell to go with the slides.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
I just purchased new curtain slides from Vintage Trailer Supply. They are awesome. They don't need to be sewn on like the old ones; it's a hook and eye configuration. Order the drapery hooks they sell to go with the slides.
Bent Metal,
We need a bunch of slides for the curtains also.
I looked at Vintage Trailer Supply and found the curtain slides but am not sure which ones I need. I would like the ones that don't need to be sewn on like you mentioned.
Can you direct me to the right ones on their website?
Curtain Hardware
Thank you.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
We just did our curtains. My wife used the old ones for a pattern. The slides came from Vintage Trailer Supply. There are 2 types for the 70's tracks. T-slides and G-slides.

The T-slides are for tracks that are mounted above the curtain with the track opening on the top or bottom. usually the end pano windows. The G-slides are for tracks with the slide on the side, typically the side windows and mounted on side walls. We didn't realize this and used T-slides thru out. They work ok but are harder to open and close because they are in tension.

We also learned that if you put a lot of slides on so the curtains look nice and pleated, they won't open too far because the slides stack up against each other in the track! I have pano windows on both ends but most of the pano side windows are covered when the curtains are open open and my wife won't take a panel out because she spent so much time making them.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
One of the sites previously mentioned has a great video instructional for replacing the shocks, including a tip for splitting the rubber grommet or spacer.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
AZArgosyGuy

To all;

Got 4 new Gabriel shocks from Inland RV today for our 77 Argosy 26T. Went to install them but I have a problem. The inner nuts do not clear the trailer body when you unscrew them and even if they did, the shock would not clear the body and stud to come off or the new ones go on. What am I missing here? We continue with the updates. New tires, propane tanks recertified, new flooring and had the original SS Magic Chef range top and door black powder coated. Looks super. Waiting for an oven handle now but I need help with the shock problem. Anyone changed them themselves?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Pulverizer

1977 29' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Shock installation issue

Remove the top rubber bushing and cut it in half so it's split. There are several youtube videos out to help, but that's the secret to installing the shocks... no need to bend anything. By splitting the bushing you can put half the bushing on the stud, slip the shock on and put the other half of the bushing on prior to the big washer and nut.

New shocks made a tremendous handling improvement on my 1977 26 foot Ambassador.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Pulverizer

1977 29' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Video link

Here's the video link showing how to remove and cut the bushing in half to install shocks on your Airstream.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
AZArgosyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulverizer View Post
Remove the top rubber bushing and cut it in half so it's split. There are several youtube videos out to help, but that's the secret to installing the shocks... no need to bend anything. By splitting the bushing you can put half the bushing on the stud, slip the shock on and put the other half of the bushing on prior to the big washer and nut.

New shocks made a tremendous handling improvement on my 1977 26 foot Ambassador.

Good luck!
Pulverizer;

Just started a new thread about this. I can't even get the nut off the stud as it bottoms out against the steel flange before it has passed all the threads. I don't have any room to get the nut off, much less the shock. Any Ideas? PS - the new shocks are Gabriel Part Number 610816 in case anyone needs the number. Came from Inland RV.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Anywhere , South Carolina
I got the smallest curtain slides from Vintage Trailer and they don't fit into the track but I am grinding them down with a Dremel cutting wheel at the rate of about 3-5 minutes each. Got 10 done need 80. Sucks, so still looking for the proper ones.
Luke55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
AZArgosyGuy

Redecorating our 1977 26T

Luke 55,

Just got my rig back from the dealer in Tucson who was doing some work I could not do at home. He has clips for the curtains and told me there are two different ones. They are known as "C" and "G" clips. He stocks both at Oasis RV, Tucson AZ. Ask for Richard.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Curtain slides

We did ours with sides from Vintage Trailer Supply. "G" slides have the guide on the side for a track mounted on the wall with the slot facing sideways. "T" slides have the guide on end for a track mounted on a horizontal surface (usually above) with the track facing up or down. I'm not use what "C" slides are. Vintage Trailer has pictures of each for comparison purposes.

Our '77 had replacement curtains with only T slides and we didn't know any better so we used those for everything and they work ok but bind up because they are under side pressure where G's are supposed to be. My wife made the curtains and used a lot of slides to get that nice pleated look and they stack up and will only open so far. Half of each side panorama window is covered on mine when open so don't use too many. If your wife is making them, discuss that before hand, mentioning it afterward won't go over well.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
We have a number of rental homes and use the Allure planks quite often. TrafficMaster is made by Allure. They are terrific. And I recently installed them in my 22' Minuet Argosy. We use the roll of plastic padding recommended by Allure on the old floor and let the new floor float, except for the edges of the trailer or room. There we add spray adhesive to the edges.
I ordered the curtain slides at www.adventurerv.com They are usually the lowest (by far) on rv parts.
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote