Found this beauty on Craigslist.

It needs: Door jam (deeply worn), manual (how do I turn things on and off)'
End caps painted, schematics for ac, dc, plumbing, sewer, etc

We love "la tortuga"' but we have tons of questions

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Also, the fresh water cover lock lacks a working key. How can this lock be changed?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Savage: I saw that on CL and thought about it...LOL, but I already have a 75, 22' rear door like your new rig. I am glad a good person got it.

I am just "over the hill" from you (the bitters) in Idaho. I might be able to help you with some of the things you will find and at some point I would like to see inside your trailer as to how the center bed works. Mine is missing something, and yours may show me what that is.

On the door jam... do you mean the pocket the door latch goes into? If so they are available, not inexpensive, but fairly easy to replace. Inland RV (below) or Out of doors mart probably have them.

Someone here may have a PDF of a manual, they are otherwise not real available. I don't have one, and they don't really tell you all that much anyway. They are pretty generic.

The water fill key may be the common one and is available for about $6.50 at Out of doors mart, one of the popular Airstream/Argosy suppliers. Most of the water fill keys were identical. It is not an easy lock to change, so try to get a key. Mine has a replacement lock, and it is not the same as yours, so I can't get you a duplicate.

The other place to get to know is Inland RV in CA. Andy posts here often and has parts and more parts available. You can Google both supplier names and will most likely find them.

Congratulations on your new toy and money pit. I am willing to come over and look at it with you sometime if you would like advice from an old hand at it.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Found the water key!
If the manual is so worthless, how do we learn about these things, strictly word of mouth?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Welcome, and congrats on the Argosy. Pics please!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Idroba. Money pit? I already have as much $$ in mine equal to what I paid for it, and it does't look any different.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Amsterdam , N-H
I'd be interested in a manual too. For Argosy 24 - are they sort of the same as the manuals for non Argosy Airstreams?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
A manual, or lacking that, notes from someone knowledgable regarding activating my new toy.
I found a breaker in the bath closet, flipping it turns on shore power.
How do I turn on the water pump, water heater and stove?
I still need to acquire a brake controller and check the trailer lights...
Images to come later today...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The water pump operates on 12 volts, and so you need to have a battery in place (with no battery the Univolt will power the pump, if the 120 volt power is on. The Univolt is a device which converts 120 volts to 12 volts for the lights and pump and other things in the rig. It is in the road side rear and you will find it off to the left on the floor when you open the closet in the bathroom. When operating, it will hummmmmmm, sometimes rather loudly. It is an obsolete device that you may wish to replace at some time.

The water pump switch is most likely a small white switch on the wall above or around the kitchen sink. The water pump is located under the front couch, on the left side. You can probably see it by lifting the front couch bottom cushion, or through the left door under the couch.

The stove is a propane unit, the propane tanks need to be turned on (assuming they have gas in them, if not, they will need to be filled). There is a valve for the stove, under the trailer on the outside which should be checked to see if it is on. It is at the rear of the road side tires. There is a second valve there for the furnace. Both should be on and don't need to be turned off unless you need to service the appliance. There is a third valve in front of the wheels on the road side which is for the refrigerator. A forth gas valve is under the water heater, but it is on the curb side of the trailer.

The water heater (unless replaced with a new electronic ignition one) is a pilot light model which lights this way: Be sure the gas is on, and open the water heater compartment. You will see a rotary valve which says off, pilot and on. Be sure water is in the tank and rotate the valve to pilot. Then, depending on the exact valve you have, either push it in or hold a red button down and while doing that, hold a lighter (the gas lighters are great for this) near the pilot light which is in the round tube to the right near the burner. The pilot light should light, but it may take a while if the gas has been off and air is in the line. Keep holding the button down for 30 seconds to a minute and then release it. The pilot light should remain on then. If not, go through it again. You have to heat up the thermocouple which tells the system the pilot light is on so gas can go to the main burner. If the pilot light goes out, no gas is allowed to the main burner, for safety reasons. Once the pilot light is on, you rotate the gas control to "on" and the main burner should light.

That process is pretty much the same for lighting the furnace which is in the closet next to the bathroom, on the floor. The process there to light the furnace is to remove the round cap inside the furnace cover (snaps on each side), stick a lighter inside to the pilot area (a bit hard to see) and push the black button in (may say pilot or push on it). Hold it in for the gas to flow to the pilot and for 30 seconds to a minute after the pilot lights. Then put the cap back on and turn the thermostat up, and the main burner should light as well as the fan operate. Then you have heat.

The stove may not have pilot lights, which is ok. Just turn the knob and light the propane with a lighter. The oven is a bit more complicated. I can write more on it later.

That will get you started some.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Idroba. Money pit? I already have as much $$ in mine equal to what I paid for it, and it does't look any different.
Me too!

Also, if you search you will probably find PDF files here you can download that will make up most of a manual. I found elec diagrams, plumbing and brochures.

Oh, and welcome! Pics please.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Recently acquired '74 argosy 22'

Greetings Savge68!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post
Found this beauty on Craigslist.

It needs: Door jam (deeply worn), manual (how do I turn things on and off)'
End caps painted, schematics for ac, dc, plumbing, sewer, etc

We love "la tortuga"' but we have tons of questions
Airstream began offering reproduction Owners' Manuals for Argosy travel trailers several months ago, and you can find them at this link. The same manual covered all lengths of Argosy travel trailers produced for a particular model year, however, there might be a special section for an unusual model such as the Minuet or rear door coaches. The owners' manuals are quite basic and answer quite a few questions, but they are slim on certain specifics that may vary from coach to coach. Specific operation instructions may not be provided for refrigerators, furnaces, etc.; rather the original owner was supplied with a manilla envelope full of individual manuals for each of the appliances and accessories.

I am not aware of any service manuals being produced that were specific to the Argosy. An Airstream manual for the same model year is going to provide you with most of the information that you would need regarding the body and chassis as the basic construction methods were shared with Airstream . . . the biggest difference being the endcaps which were galvanized steel or fiberglass on the Argosy travel trailers. You can obtain reproductions of the Airstream service manuals from the Airstream Store at the following link.

The Argosy rear entry floor plans were only available on the Argosy 22 and Argosy 24; and only for a very short time. These floorplans just did not seem to catch on, and it seems that Argosy focused on the Minuets for 20 through 24 foot models beginning in 1977. It has only been in the past several years that Airstream began building the front bedroom coaches with the rear entrys . . . the Argosys may have pioneered some of the designs for the current coaches with rear entry floorplans.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Great info, many thanks. The previous owner was getting this rig ready for life in the oil patch, so it has two new and filled gas bottles as well as new water lines and a fresh batt.
Another thing we'll need are leveling jacks.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Recently acquired '74 argosy 22'

Greetings Savage68!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post
Great info, many thanks. The previous owner was getting this rig ready for life in the oil patch, so it has two new and filled gas bottles as well as new water lines and a fresh batt.
Another thing we'll need are leveling jacks.

One difference between Argosy and Airstreams and most of their competitors is that Airstream recommends against using leveling jacks. The side-to-side leveling is accomplised by pulling the coach's low side up onto leveling blocks (can be lengths of lumber of commercially available Orange Interlocking Levelers). With the side-to-side levelling accomplished, the front-to-rear levelling is accomplished by raising or lowering the tongue jack. Once this is done, stabilizers are deployed just enough to prevent the coach from bouncing when someone walks on the coach's floor . . . I usually lower my BAL stabilizers until the foot touches the ground plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn of the handle to snug the stabilizer.

Prior to the explosion of information on the Web (1995) I had camping world install a set of BAL scissors leveling jacks . . . I quickly found that it was easy to torque the fram enough that the entry door would bind . . . I quickly learned what my problem was at my first International Rally in 1998. The other issue that I had was that the rear jacks hung down much farther than the BAL stabilizer jacks normally recommended by Airstream, that I drug both rear jacks off othe coach during my round-trip to the 1998 International Rally.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Thanks Kevin. I was figuring a cheap solution would be to acquire 4 scissors
Jacks and place them as you describe, to prevent excessive bounce when we walk around.

It looks like the univolt is just a DC power supply that has switching capability so shore power goes where it's supposed to as well as the +12.

As a nearly retired engineer, I find troubleshooting San manual or schematic frustrating. I sincerely appreciate the kind words as well as the sage advice.