Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Gary, IIRC, the black tank partly extends through the floor in the rear of the trailer, it would be a good idea to make sure where it goes before adding the C channel back there. The old grey tank went somewhere around that area, too. Are y'all going to move the tanks to a more central location?
I have decided to keep the tanks where they are currently located, grey tank under the floor in the rear and the black inside in the back, fresh in front. It would be really difficult to change them due to the space available in the frame and I want to use this trailer in cold weather. The grey tank has an insulated box and a heater duct routed to it. I will be reinforceing the frame at the grey tank and at the front where the spare tire carrier would be. I found these two spots to be real soft without reinforcment under the plywood. I plan on adding a couple of outriggers to add stiffness under the shower curbside and the street side. I have also been looking at increaseing the thickness of the floor and I think I could go up to 5/8" from the stock 1/2" without too much trouble. I really dislike flabby floors.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
so no bigger tanks Gary? I can't remember exactly how big that grey tank is.... feels like only 10 gallons or so. I think my blue tank is bigger! I kind of like the ability of taking just the blue tank to the dump station, instead of the whole trailer.

The black should be big enough... we can JUST get 3 days for 4 people out of it. I wish it was deeper though... we seem to have some temporary mountains grow in the morning that don't float away fast enough for four people in the mornings.... which makes it seem liket the tank is full, when it's not really. I'd like to make a "shaker" for it to uh, distribute the "loads" better. Sometimes I have to go outside and find a stick to make it all fit ok. TMI, I'm sure!

Oh yeah, my point is, the black tank should be fine as is.

Can't wait to see more!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
so no bigger tanks Gary? I can't remember exactly how big that grey tank is.... feels like only 10 gallons or so. I think my blue tank is bigger! I kind of like the ability of taking just the blue tank to the dump station, instead of the whole trailer.

The black should be big enough... we can JUST get 3 days for 4 people out of it. I wish it was deeper though... we seem to have some temporary mountains grow in the morning that don't float away fast enough for four people in the mornings.... which makes it seem liket the tank is full, when it's not really. I'd like to make a "shaker" for it to uh, distribute the "loads" better. Sometimes I have to go outside and find a stick to make it all fit ok. TMI, I'm sure!

Oh yeah, my point is, the black tank should be fine as is.

Can't wait to see more!
Marc
We checked the grey tank and it is 15 gallons not really big, but we are used to the Minuet and it is 7 gallons. We have found the black tank will last us for about 4 or 5 days, I can't see us needing any more than that.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Gary and Janet, Shell off restoration. Wow. I've been there and done that! It's a lot of work. However you will be very pleased with your trailer when it's done. Nothing like a new classic. It's looking good.
Don & Claudia
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Touch Down

OK The shell is now back on the frame.

I used Reflectix foil bubble, spaced out 1" using pink closed cell foam for the insulation. The floor is 1/2" marine ply sealed on the bottom and edges with Cabot sealer. I then used foil tape to seal the Reflectix to the plywwod edges and then rolled it up over the top of the wood. It worked out pretty well I think. I was pleasently suprised how easy it was to mate the shell with the frame. I used a floor jack to lower it from the saw horses and move it around.
I figure I still have 20 hours of work left to get the banana wraps and trim back in place. Lots of rivets.
Tomorrow, I'm planning on putting the new axles on. THat is my last bit of work until after the BB Bash IV. Sorry no pictures, I was just too busy.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Whew! Let's see... shell ON, Axles ON.... hmmmm... can we say "ROAD TRIP!"... come on... it'll be tent camping at the finest for BB! : >

Can't wait to see you guys - safe driving!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Door Rivets

OK
Here I am with a roll of aluminum, a Rivet Squeezer and No rivets.
As some of you know I am in the middle of changing the direction the door opens and installing a new lock assembly. In order to do this I have to re-skin the door. I am in need of the rivets used on the perimeter of the door. I know they are braizer head rivets but I don't know the size to get the correct head diameter. I ordered AN470's from Airparts but the heads are way to small.
I need the size and a source for them. Any Ideas?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #108
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Door Rivets

Call David at Roger William Airstream 800-378-5883.
He rebuilt my Argosy Door after it blew open.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
OK
Here I am with a roll of aluminum, a Rivet Squeezer and No rivets.
As some of you know I am in the middle of changing the direction the door opens and installing a new lock assembly. In order to do this I have to re-skin the door. I am in need of the rivets used on the perimeter of the door. I know they are braizer head rivets but I don't know the size to get the correct head diameter. I ordered AN470's from Airparts but the heads are way to small.
I need the size and a source for them. Any Ideas?
The correct P/N is MS20470AD5-X with X being the lenght in 1/16ths. To get the right length, add the total thickness of the mat'l being riveted then add an additional 1.5 rivet diameters. I get My rivets here Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
The correct P/N is MS20470AD5-X with X being the lenght in 1/16ths. To get the right length, add the total thickness of the mat'l being riveted then add an additional 1.5 rivet diameters. I get My rivets here Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co.
Great Place, I just ordered three sizes of rivets and a bunch of #21 and #30 Cobalt drill bits.

Thanks Muchly