Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
ewwweeee!

I REALLY hate to think what might be in my walls..... gee... thanks Gary!

"3 blind mice, see how they.... uh... stink?"

Tanks - I like what Sergei has done with his bathroom - he sunk the black tank between the rails under the floor - gives the bathroom some nice room.
Marc
__________________

__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Gary, have you given any thought to replacing the fresh water tank (above the floor in the front) with a comparable between the frame rails fresh water tank fromk an Airstream? It will get one source of water off the floor, and lower your center of gravity. You could probably do the same in the back for the black tank as well, plus I think the OEM Airstream black and grey tanks hold more goo...
I'm planning on looking into that just as soon as I get the frame out and apart.
__________________

__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I REALLY hate to think what might be in my walls..... gee... thanks Gary!

"3 blind mice, see how they.... uh... stink?"

Tanks - I like what Sergei has done with his bathroom - he sunk the black tank between the rails under the floor - gives the bathroom some nice room.
Marc
All ready got it measured. That is one of the reasons I'm looking into the vent move... possibilities. Janet wants me to have it ready for the BB Bash, two words Fat and Chance. Should be ready by BB-V.
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #74
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Bb4...

ha! Maybe you'll have a nice Basecamp version... cots, and folding chairs? Maybe even put the shell on with a big hinge on the front.. the rear could open up, with HUGE air shocks (or struts) to keep it up?

Just kidding! But really, I'd love to see it one day soon!
Can't wait for the end of this month!
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #75
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
ha! Maybe you'll have a nice Basecamp version... cots, and folding chairs? Maybe even put the shell on with a big hinge on the front.. the rear could open up, with HUGE air shocks (or struts) to keep it up?

Just kidding! But really, I'd love to see it one day soon!
Can't wait for the end of this month!
Marc
Hmmmm...Thinking.
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #76
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Lift off

Well, finally got the last rivets out and the shell is off the floor sitting on 2x4 blocks. I'll put it on saw horses tomorrow and pull the frame out from under it.
I found that this model does not sit on just the C-channels and then bolted to the floor. There are extrusions that slide onto the the floor plywood and then slip inside the skin, they are then riveted to the shell.
Anyone seen this before?
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Woo hoo - liftoff! How heavy was it Gary? Do you have pics of this arrangement? So is it a c channel around the plywood and rivets to the exterior shell? How do the ribs attach?. Funny that's different than the bigger Argosy's.
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #78
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Woo hoo - liftoff! How heavy was it Gary? Do you have pics of this arrangement? So is it a c channel around the plywood and rivets to the exterior shell? How do the ribs attach?. Funny that's different than the bigger Argosy's.
Marc
I don't know how heavy it is, I used a floor jack on the cross braces that I installed to hold the shell in shape. I can pick up a corner at a time by hand, not too hard. The ribs just sit in the C channel no connection they are riveted to the skin and that holds them in place. I will be posting pictures of the extrusion that clips onto the wood very soon. I wonder how many variations there are to the "shell to floor" connection there are?
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Pics

Here is the extrusion that clips to the floor and then riveted to the shell.
A real good way to hold the shell down. Has anyone seen this extrusion before, and what was the model it was in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extrusion end.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	38453  
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #80
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Rib to C channel

Here is the Rib Connection to the C-channel. Or should I say the lack there of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIB and C channel.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	38454  
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #81
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
The front

Here is a picture of the front end from the inside. This is how I braced it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End brace.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	38455  
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #82
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
I found that this model does not sit on just the C-channels and then bolted to the floor. There are extrusions that slide onto the the floor plywood and then slip inside the skin, they are then riveted to the shell.
Anyone seen this before?
I've got to think back a couple years. My '74 24' Argo had extrusion like this on the parallel sides and ended ... at the corner ribs? I'll have to browse my pics. Then there was formed c-channel above the floor only at the ends. I believe there was a bit of your channel aft of the roadside wheelwell but it didn't cross the floor edge of the battery compartment just in front of the roadside rear corner rib.

I have to do quite a paradigm shift looking at your pics and seeing windows on both sides -- should be easier for a 25' FB owner, eh? Looks like the project is advancing well!
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #83
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Wow, that would be probably the best way, as it seems like it would keep the edges from rotting from exposure to water, AS LONG as the wood was sealed in there. If not, water would be trapped, and, well, do worse damage I'm sure. Looks better than the typical exposed edges with the wrap made to dump the water on them.

I bet they stopped using this type of extrusion for one reason.... cost. I'm sure that wasn't a cheap way to do it.

You'll have to make sure the wood thickness is the same as what was in there before though.

Thanks for the pics!
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
I've got to think back a couple years. My '74 24' Argo had extrusion like this on the parallel sides and ended ... at the corner ribs? I'll have to browse my pics. Then there was formed c-channel above the floor only at the ends. I believe there was a bit of your channel aft of the roadside wheelwell but it didn't cross the floor edge of the battery compartment just in front of the roadside rear corner rib.

I have to do quite a paradigm shift looking at your pics and seeing windows on both sides -- should be easier for a 25' FB owner, eh? Looks like the project is advancing well!
You're exactly right Bob.
Looks good for holding but as Marc said "watch out for water in the channel". I just measured it and the thickest plywood I could use is 17/32". I was hoping to go a little thicker to get the floor stiffer. The 1/2" plywood they used to build the trailer is really flabby now. I'll have to rethink this problem. Maybe extra braces along the walk paths in the trailer. I will be putting the tanks under the floor so I can't go too wild with bracing.
__________________

__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear bath mirror! niftypkg General Interior Topics 1 04-10-2007 09:52 PM
Saggy Bottom ( rear end ) smily Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 127 10-01-2006 09:28 PM
Leak in the rear JodynJeep Sinks, Showers & Toilets 10 09-08-2006 10:40 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.