Old 05-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #57
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
My '60 Ambassador had the black tank vent pipe in the wall. It was a rubber pipe that came right out the back of the toilet, straight into the wall with a metal 90 that attached to another rubber pipe inside the wall and out the roof.

It can be done. When I re-worked the tank, I ran the vent up inside the closet. I never removed the endcaps.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #58
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Now that I have the skins off the inside of the project I'm wondering if anyone has run the waste vent pipe inside of the interior skin. There is
1 3/4" between the skins should fit. It should really give me more room in the bathroom. Any thoughts on this subject?
I would be concerned about movement of the two skins, the vent pipe could wear a hole through the outer skin. I suppose you could run the vent up the inside of the wall in the closet there, but I don't know how you can bend a straight pipe around a rounded wall.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
A thin walled pipe can be bent to a curved shape if is packed with sand. The sand needs to be packed fairly tight. Caps will be need on the ends of the pipe to hold the sand in during bending. The pipe should be formed around a rounded shape, i.e. a barrel, etc of various sizes. Even a tree trunk can be used. I suggest you proactice first.
Don
Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Flex Pipe

I found this product, I think it might work. Uses standard pvc fittings.
I'm thinking that a strip of plastic down the skin would keep the pipe from rubbing through the skin.
Aqua Art Pond Supplies...Flexpipe, Flexible Pipe
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Being that aluminum is much harder than plastic and WE HOPE there isn't that much movement I think we're talking a geological time frame for any appreciable wear. What about using vinyl tubing? Easy to bend and comes in almost any size.

Pictures! Where's the Pictures? -Bernie
Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #62
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Being that aluminum is much harder than plastic and WE HOPE there isn't that much movement I think we're talking a geological time frame for any appreciable wear. What about using vinyl tubing? Easy to bend and comes in almost any size.

Believe it or not, the PVC is harder than the aluminum.
Over a period of time, it can rub through the skin. Not in hundreds of miles, but in thousands of miles, and by the time you notice it on the outside of the trailer, it is too late.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #63
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
OK, OK - here are some taken when it was still for sale. Very original! Currently, we have stripped out all furniture and are commencing to separate top form bottom! Big project...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8b_3.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	36668   Click image for larger version

Name:	6a_3.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	36669  

Click image for larger version

Name:	97_3.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	36671   Click image for larger version

Name:	85_3.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	36672  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #64
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Cool! It doesn't look like it needs a gut job in the photos. Are you doing a frame off for the floors/body work?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Mmm, that's going to be a tough sell. I can imagine sawing thought a PVC pipe with a blade made of aluminum but not the other way around. Aluminum has a hardness of around 70 Rockwell B scale. PVC with a Shore D hardness of 80 converts to near zero on that scale.

Comparison of hardness scales (See figure 8.)

Of course that's not the whole story. Grit between the two pieces could act as an abrasive and even though plastic is soft in comparison to a drill bit it sure dulls the cutting edge faster than aluminum unless the speeds and feeds are carefully controlled.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #66
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Of course that's not the whole story. Grit between the two pieces could act as an abrasive and even though plastic is soft in comparison to a drill bit it sure dulls the cutting edge faster than aluminum unless the speeds and feeds are carefully controlled.
Exactly. Since it is between skins, there is no telling what could get in/on it. I had to reposition some PVC on our Argosy, it was rubbing, if not wearing, a hole in the aluminum.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Cool! It doesn't look like it needs a gut job in the photos. Are you doing a frame off for the floors/body work?
As they say looks can be deceiving. I washed the interior down and could not get rid of the smell, I had been uneasy about the floor some rot. I pilled one panel up front off the wall and found 3 dead mice, lots of droppings and tunnels in the insulation. So I pulled another panel and found 4 more dead mice more droppings and more tunnels... see where this is going? Needless to say; I have remove all interior panels and End Caps and have found a total of 9 dead mice. I figured as long as I'm here it will be a frame off to replace the floor make some changes in the tanks and I am going to build all new cabinets and seating.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Over a period of time, it can rub through the skin. Not in hundreds of miles, but in thousands of miles, and by the time you notice it on the outside of the trailer, it is too late.
I was thinking of lining the skin with strips of something like PVC or ABS sheet maybe .030 thick. I thought this might cut down on the chance of the pipe rubbing through the skin. Another thought, maybe something softer that would cradle the pipe and keep it from abrading. Something like embedding the pipe in Silicone or a hard rubber sheet. Thoughts.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #69
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I was thinking of lining the skin with strips of something like PVC or ABS sheet maybe .030 thick. I thought this might cut down on the chance of the pipe rubbing through the skin. Another thought, maybe something softer that would cradle the pipe and keep it from abrading. Something like embedding the pipe in Silicone or a hard rubber sheet. Thoughts.
Why not use the prefab foam insulation that you wrap around pipes? The name of it escapes me...It's got a slit up one side of it, and fits over the pipe. Getting old sucks, but I can't remember why...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #70
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I figured as long as I'm here it will be a frame off to replace the floor make some changes in the tanks and I am going to build all new cabinets and seating.
Gary, have you given any thought to replacing the fresh water tank (above the floor in the front) with a comparable between the frame rails fresh water tank fromk an Airstream? It will get one source of water off the floor, and lower your center of gravity. You could probably do the same in the back for the black tank as well, plus I think the OEM Airstream black and grey tanks hold more goo...