Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Question: Lubrication for Reese stablizers/levelers??

For my Reese stablizers/levelers that have been used a fair bit, can anyone tell me about any LUBRICATION that may be required? I do note that the "shoe" where it fits into the sling at the back has the original surface worn. They do work fine, but at times there is a large amount of 'squeaking' and 'complaining' back there. I'd call Reese, but it appears they have no telephone service, which I find strange. Thanks, Dan

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've had my instructions around somewhere... I recall it says you can use a bit of petroleum jelly to reduce the noise only. Do not use grease. Lessening friction in that way defeats the function of the cam antisway.

I've found that mine are making less noise as time goes on. Yes, they do wear significantly. My Safari isn't here so I can't run out and verify -- my impression is that some heavy tools could allow a person to flip the studs right to left and upside down to get a new surface. Anybody done that? How much is too much wear and when should that be done? Are there replacement studs available? All fair questions to answer at some time. I'm not seeing any urgency to do it now.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reese is now owned by TriMas Corp. They do go out of there way to protect there phone number and shield themselves from the public but this will get you there. 248-631-5450

As for lub. You can oil or grease the trunions and there sockets of the hitch head. You can use Vaseline on the saddles at the ends of the bars.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
As for lub. You can oil or grease the trunions and there sockets of the hitch head. You can use Vaseline on the saddles at the ends of the bars.
Ahh, that's right. Thanks! Look at the spring bars where they fit in the hitch head. A dab of lube on each of the shiny spots is recommended.

Grease the ball too. You'll hate this advice for what it'll do to clothing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Goodness!!! It never fails: have a question on your mind for a few days or weeks and then ask the Forum!!! Bingo! You get the answer right now. Thanks a lot for your help and for the Forum!!
Dan

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote