Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Propane smell in oven !

I turned on the propane tanks last night after losing power I can't smell but I was told my trailer was, and all around, had a heavy propane smell. After airing it out and opening the tanks back up the odor was coming from the oven.

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hi Dan,

If your oven is like mine, turning gas on to the stove will put gas on at the oven. There are a couple things you can do. One, you can light the ovens pilot light. Two there is an adjustment screw under the stoves cover that can be used to cut off all gas to the oven pilot. Good luck.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Just to clarify.....the smell isn't a slight one....it's immediate and in large quantaties as if there is a major leak. I had used the trailer a month ago and no one had commented on a propane smell. All I have done since then is park it in the driveway. Could something have punctured a line within the oven or broken the pilot in the the oven?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S
Just to clarify.....the smell isn't a slight smell....it's immediate and in large quantaties as if there is a major leak.
Given some time you will get that from what I described. You may want to check the lines to make sure there isnt a catastrophic failure somewhere but I will bet money that if you let it air out and start the pilot you wont have the smell. Im not a tech, but I went through a similar episode.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
So....if I don't light the pilot and and an hour goes by before I decide to turn on a stovetop burner the trailer would explode....I think there's that much coming out. Again, I 've used the trailer many times and the smell was never there......?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I think you were editing while I was responding. Make sure there is no major leak. Then try what I suggested.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Propane leak

Quote:
So....if I don't light the pilot and and an hour goes by before I decide to turn on a stovetop burner the trailer would explode....I think there's that much coming out. Again, I 've used the trailer many times and the smell was never there......?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan, Absolutely!!! Do Not Light Any Pilot Lights!!!! Propane is heavy and will be stronger smelling in any confined spaces (like under the floor), (in the oven), or (within cabinets where lines may be running.) It sounds as if you may have a line leak (split in the line tubing) or a fitting or elbow leak that the pressure from your regulator is allowing the gas and fumes to escape from, and that is what you are smelling. It Is A Explosion Hazard! Trace your gas lines and check them and all fittings including shutoff valves with soapy water or bubbles. Find ALL leaks and repair them before you light any of your pilots!!!! Use the Propane bottle shut off valve to eliminate one bottle and only turn the other bottle on to test where you have soaped the line or fittings! Let any smell inside the trailer air out before a second test so you don't build up fumes inside as any spark or electric switch arc could become a disaster! You can call a propane dealer to see if they will check the lines etc or take the trailer to any A'S or other RV shop. Be Safe and find all the leaks and you can sleep soundly on your next trip. Wheither it's camped out or just in the driveway you'll know everything is safe and good to go! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dan after you have determined it has no major issues remember you have 2 pilots.

one for the oven and one for the cook top.

john
Old 10-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
I turned on the propane tanks last night after losing power I can't smell but I was told my trailer was, and all around, had a heavy propane smell.

Dan, I'd invest in a good Co2 detector after you find your leak..hopefully you'll hear it if there is a problem if you do not have neighbors close by to rely on their senses. That could have gotten real ugly if they hadn't given you a heads up. Good luck...
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Toast

Hey Dan. Still there. Dan, DAN, DANNNN!

Camping world sells an affordable leak detector for under $40 bucks.

Order one on-line and go at it.

Let us know how you make out

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Yes, I'm still living.

I have not had a chance to further investigate and my RV guy said he can look at it on Monday but I'll see what I can find later today.

I'm headed down to Camping World now to pick up the detector.

Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs down Bad Gas

Quote:
Just to clarify.....I had used the trailer a month ago...All I have done since then is park it in the driveway....
Hi Dan, I am curious, did you use the oven/stove on your last trip?

Glad to see you will be safe rather than sorry. With these old trailers we run many risks with the components having bounced down the road for 30+ years. Water pipes leak and circuit breakers blow, but the gas system has to have the most potential for disaster, injury or death

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Steve,

No I did not use either on the last trip. However, I had the furnace on and other people in the trailer that would have smelt the propane. Additionally, had it been leaking like it is now I'm sure it would have blown.

I now have a propane sniffer so I'll open up the lines and put it right on the oven controls under the stovetop where the controls are and then go to the piolt in the oven itself.

Dan