Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
propane line under trailer?

Hi everyone- we're now buying a 77 Argosy Minuet 6m - our first! (from sturzsongs). Trailer seems really sound, albeit a really bad robin's egg blue (we're calling her Robin for now) paint job from some PO. But - all important issues seem great. We'll be living in this for 3 months in Scottsdale, AZ so that's important. Aesthetics we can fix as we go and learn what we like.

But - looking under the belly, seemed there is a propane line that runs from one side to the other (to the water heater?)...under the belly? Isn't that rather exposed? Was this some sort of quick fix, or normal? Seems like an errant rock could cause an ugly issue...

Any thoughts anyone? (I'm glad you're all out there! I've been looking here for a long time to learn a bit...)
Matthew
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:04 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Propane lines are supposed to be outside the bellypan, so if they leak the propane will be carried away instead of accumulating in the bellypan where it could be ignited. I recently had my exterior propane lines replaced because they had taken some road damage over the years. Now they are protected with hose wrap.

If your rig doesn't have it, you should consider adding smoke, CO and Propane detectors inside for your safety while camping. My RV shop had a fit when they found my vintage trailer had none of those new-fangled safety features, but I have added all of them since then!

Congrats, Minuets are a great little trailer, even if it is feeling blue

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Yes, Stephanie is correct. Propane lines run out side of the belly pan. Our 77 Minuet is the same.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
So Matthew, where are you guys staying in Scottsdale? If you are fairly new to trailering and want some assistance, send me a PM. Propane is heavier than air so you want the lines outside of the trailer wherever possiblke.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Even on the new ones...

Our 04 has the propane lines/pipes installed just as you describe. Thanks to Stefrobrts for the reason why (I had wondered about that also). And of course welcome to AZ. I assume you're wintering in Scottsdale as it's still a bit hot here now.
KL
Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Thanks to all - sort of reassured I don't (as far as I know) need to re-run the propane lines. Stephanie (or anyone) - how did you protect yours? I'm not quite sure what you mean by hose wrap. My first thought was the flexible plastic covers (Usually black) used for electric wiring. I'll be getting the detecters, though, asap.

We're both really excited about our little robin's egg... spending way too much time reading forums, doing research, changing paint job in Photoshop, looking at carpet... if I don't get some work done I won't be able to buy gas to get anywhere!

Not sure where we're staying in Scottsdale in spring yet.. I'll IM you flyfshr once I get mine set up!
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

That black spongy stuff they use on refrigeration lines could possibly work for you. Guess you would have to use those plastic ties strapes to attach it.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The wrap on mine is more of a stiff pvc type tube threaded on when they assembled it. I agree with John, the black spongy stuff would probably work fine, or even garden hose split and tied on.

My old hoses had survived 35 years without a leak, though they were crushed pretty flat in places, which is why I decided to go ahead and replace them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote