Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1982 28' Airstream 280
Solana Beach-San Diego N. County Coastline , California
Pretty Cool Find - 1973 Argosy 20' - New Owner

I am pretty thrilled. I have owned probably a dozen or so Airstream trailers and Rv' over the years. I am appreciative and look for originality. Today, I bought a 1973 Argosy 20 trailer sight unseen off of the local Craigslist. The asking price was $300. The owner sounded very forthcoming over the telephone. He explained that the trailer had been sitting on his brothers property and that he had bought it as a project but just did not have the time...kids etc. He said it was all there and original...no photos in the ad, and although posted locally...it sat an hour and 15 minutes from where I live on the coast in San Diego. We agreed on a price of $350 delivered to me!

So...I got the trailer an hour and a half ago and I am doing cartwheels. It is amazingly straight...not a dent! All original, every vent cover, hatch, and emblem in place. Dirty as sin on the interior with rat droppings etc, no cushions...but again, after a very good scrubbing and some love...the thing will be ready to really put back together and is truly a gem. Every window crank works and is in place, stove, ref. and sink in great condition, all cabinets in place. Original drawers and plastic bins in place. Floor solid. Interior walls and ceilings in amazing shape with no rivets "blackened" from vibration.

The screen door is good as is the lock and opening handle as well as the door latches both exterior and interior. Step is in place.

Original paint that is faded and chipped on the steel panels fore and aft...but even the beige as is could likely be rubbed and brought back!

Well...I ramble but am excited about this project. I will be posting photos as I proceed and below is a link to Day 1 Photobucket Albums.

It has been a while since my last trailer and I am looking forward to connecting with you all as questions arise.

Comments welcome!!

Best,
JB

sailingsd/1973 Argosy 20/Argosy 20 Interior Day 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

sailingsd/1973 Argosy 20 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Looks like you have some good bones there.
The rat droppings bother me though. My 24' looked real good and I found the insulation full of mouse haba-trails. Try taking off a small section of interior skin and see what the insulation looks like. I dearly hope you don't find what I did.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
All I can say is wow, WoW. and W O W!! The price sure was a steal and looks like a great unit. No matter what you want to do you will be $$$ ahead in the trailer. Congratulations on your new beauty.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Very cool find and congratulations! You're going to have a great time fixing her up!
2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
JB looks like you did quite well on your new Argosy. I live in SD I would like to see it sometime. Congrats!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Clean-Up has Begun...

Thanks for the notes of support! The clean-up began today and I am just so amazed at the condition of this unit. Even the formica on the galley counter is more of a muted soft green and so much different from the typical Avocado Green...although there was some of that Avocado green shag that was pulled out from under the storage areas!!

I am in the process of due diligence on replacing the 7.00 15LT tires and have read through the many threads on that subject for research.

I removed the entry door latch and although the latch is perfect, I was not given a key so I ordered a new cylinder from "Out of Doors Mart" in N. Carolina along with keys for the water access, battery access, and rear refrigerator access panels. Again...this vendor was identified from prior threads here in the forum.

Once I have fully given it a bath, I will begin going through the systems to identify any repairs and upgrades needed there.

Oh, and Sixty3TW4US, I sent you a PM and would enjoy connecting with you and getting to know another San Diego Streemer, showing you my project, and talking Airstream! Just shoot me an email at my off-line email address: jbsails@gmail.com

Thanks all....
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Smile 20' 73

Great find. Sure you will enjoy it. Very easy to tow and no sway. Have never used anything but a basic hitch w ours.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Kenny...what is your tow vehicle??

Hey Kenny...
Wow...two 20 footers in your family. That is cool.
You mention in your post...(thanks by the way) that you only use a standard hitch...what kind of vehicle do you tow with? I was considering getting an anti-sway set up...but until I get my new tires on and get my project road ready, I don't yet know what to expect. Any insight appreciated since you also have the 20footer.
Best,
JB
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congrats on your find. Looks like the PO just wanted to move it, and you were in the right place to help him.

Yeah, looking at the pictures, I would agree that you have a whale of a job of cleanup, but the basics are all good, from what can be seen.

I see the steel cap on the front is shedding paint. IIRC, that's an issue of finding the right prep and basecoat.

All the best, I am toadly jealous of your find!

Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
How things Change in Two Weeks !!!

Well my friends...I have taken the leap. After determining that the critters had their way with my Argosy prior to my recent acquisition, coupled with a few rotted flooring areas...I have decided to replace the floor

I have started a new thread on the "flooring replacement" section of this forum with a bunch of photos of the process if y'all are interested...but I am on my way...ready or not.

Here is a link showing what I found and my removal of 2/3's of the interior...

sailingsd/Argosy Floor Project - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
1978 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Virginia
Great find

Hi JB,

Congratulations on your newest project! What a great find. Keep those pictures coming.

When I get my Caravel restored I will hook it up to my Argosy 20 and let you know how she pulls.

In the meantime I will keep a look out for a 20 MH for you. I am sure you saw Litup's 20 in the classified's? You could have 2 awesome projects then....

Kudos again for hooking me up wtih those seats last summer.

Silver Steve
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
oh i hate rats! Good luck with your new trailer. We just bought our 71 Caravel, inside so so clean! Bringing her for a check up and hope her innards are as sweet.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote