Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Prepping an Argosy to be repainted

I have overhauled a number of good old fashioned woodworking tools made of American iron. The running joke among rehabbers is that the tools often have so many different coats of different color paint, that they look like a clown's face, thus a number of bad paint jobs is affectionately called clown paint.

I have looked at a few Argosys that have what I would call Clown paint on 'em. a number of coats of some ill conceived paint thrown on tope of one another, and now peeling or blistering at different rates. I've read a few threads on how different folks have approached painting - I have an conversion HVLP set up and can handle spraying most paints. It's the stripping that makes me nervous.

Do folks tend to use mechanical means (sanding and the dust) or chemical (with the heavy metals and the dangers and burns). I've gone both ways, and for my tool work have tended to use a wire cup on an angle grinder and just grind off whatever paint is there and move on. With the aluminum and rivet heads though, I'm a bit more concerned about damaging the trailer in an aggressive grinding fit.

I'm giving thought to picking up one of these trailers with a soiled paint job - they look awful but I'm sure one will eventually have good bones and solid floors and be the right one for me, right? I'd like to get an idea of how much work I'm biting off.

LOML will simply not be happy if I have a ratty looking trailer by the side of the house, so I will either need one that just needs to be cleaned up, or I'll need to do a proper prep and clean myself. I'm just not sure what all might be involved from a time and tooling perspective.

Beyond picking the right trailer, what's the approach to clean up a bad repaint job?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Take a look at post 4 on this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...osy-89460.html

I think the basics for prep are probably the same

Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
TORONTO and Southwestern , Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	216643

You can see how my ARGOSY was stripped, then painted, on my main thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-34.html

Stripping is shown around post #77, earlier in the thread.

We used Aircraft Stripper, in a technique described above. Then you wash and rinse well, followed by an acid bath to etch the aluminum before the prime and paint. The acid bath should be done carefully and quickly and rinsed very well.

There is at least one well respected voice on these forums who cautions against using the acid bath; he says it damages the rivets.

There is always lots of advise here and you have to sort through things and make your own judgement about things.

I choose to ignore this concern because my friends in Ontario have been building, repairing and painting aluminum truck bodies this way for over 60 years with perfect results. Also, logically, AIRCRAFT STRIPPER is for aircraft, and Airstream claims to build trailers in a similar manner to airplanes.

My paint job, several years later, still looks like it just came out of the paint shop:

Name:	refections.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	216640

Name:	side by side.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	216641

Name:	rig Wood Island PEI.jpg