Old 07-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Picked up my "New"Argosy Today - And I'm Still Alive!!

I posted earlier that I purchased a new, to me, 1973 24ft Argosy. Today I was able to go and pick it up. I have posted a couple pictures of it, hooked up to my Bronco, which I pulled it home with. No interior photo's due to a door lock problem that needs to be fixed.

Yes, that's right, I pulled it over 150 miles across Michigan, with a Bronco. For all you Bronco bashers, due to timing circumstances, I ended up pulling it home with the previous owners hitch, there was a delay in my new one arriving, without any height adjustments, and, are you ready for this, no sway control what so ever!!! And I'm still alive.

It was windy, and a busy travel day across I-96 with lots of other RV's and Semi's. I could feel the large SUV's, RV's and Semi's when they went by, but I have to give a lot of credit to the Argosy, it hardly budged behind my Bronco. I asked my daughter, who was setting in the back, if she could feel andything and she said, no only that the Bronco usually bounced and swayed more when there was nothing behind it, than it was today.

I did get a little seasick though when I was stuck behind a couple of Suburban's pulling "Boxes", going about 55 and swearving all over the place. I was sure glad to get around them, they were making me nervous. After all of the great posts I read on here about how great Suburbans were and how bad Bronco's were I was a little surprised to see how poorly they were doing in the wind today, by the way, they both appeaed to have sway control.

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to pulling a trailer than numbers on a spec sheet, TV and Hitch? Maybe the driver has a little bit to do with it, or maybe the TT design it self,but then again, you really can't look up a number for these, or site a spec sheet. So for all of you Bronco bashers out there, I'm not saying its perfect, but until you have actually pulled a trailer with one, telling every one how bad or dangerous it will be, is like telling a bubble bee it can't fly, because it's specs dont look good on paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 24ft Airstream Argosy XS -06.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	938.8 KB
ID:	41244   Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 24ft Airstream Argosy XS -03.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	805.7 KB
ID:	41245  

Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi WestMichCamp!
Great looking Argosy and welcome home with it. Safe and sound is the way to go and it sounds like you took your time and played it pretty safe and you Got There. I don't know enough about TV's so I won't get into the Bronco dialoge . Just wanted to wish you luck with your new baby and to ask you to make sure you post more photos when you get the door unlocked.

Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
It's Unlocked

It just won't open. You never know, it might not be that happy to be leaving its previous owner who had it for over 16 years, and took really good care of it.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Bronco was My 2nd Tow Vehicle

Great looking Argosy. I used a Bronco to tow a 25 foot Avion with for years. I used the Reese Dual Cam Sway control and equalizing hitch and never felt uncomfortable. Happy camping and travels to you.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
Great looking Argosy. I used a Bronco to tow a 25 foot Avion with for years. I used the Reese Dual Cam Sway control and equalizing hitch and never felt uncomfortable. Happy camping and travels to you.
That is what I have on order.

Glad you liked it
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Nice rig, Congratulations!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichCamp
I posted earlier that I purchased a new, to me, 1973 24ft Argosy. Today I was able to go and pick it up. I have posted a couple pictures of it, hooked up to my Bronco, which I pulled it home with. No interior photo's due to a door lock problem that needs to be fixed.

Yes, that's right, I pulled it over 150 miles across Michigan, with a Bronco. For all you Bronco bashers, due to timing circumstances, I ended up pulling it home with the previous owners hitch, there was a delay in my new one arriving, without any height adjustments, and, are you ready for this, no sway control what so ever!!! And I'm still alive.

It was windy, and a busy travel day across I-96 with lots of other RV's and Semi's. I could feel the large SUV's, RV's and Semi's when they went by, but I have to give a lot of credit to the Argosy, it hardly budged behind my Bronco. I asked my daughter, who was setting in the back, if she could feel andything and she said, no only that the Bronco usually bounced and swayed more when there was nothing behind it, than it was today.

I did get a little seasick though when I was stuck behind a couple of Suburban's pulling "Boxes", going about 55 and swearving all over the place. I was sure glad to get around them, they were making me nervous. After all of the great posts I read on here about how great Suburbans were and how bad Bronco's were I was a little surprised to see how poorly they were doing in the wind today, by the way, they both appeaed to have sway control.

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to pulling a trailer than numbers on a spec sheet, TV and Hitch? Maybe the driver has a little bit to do with it, or maybe the TT design it self,but then again, you really can't look up a number for these, or site a spec sheet. So for all of you Bronco bashers out there, I'm not saying its perfect, but until you have actually pulled a trailer with one, telling every one how bad or dangerous it will be, is like telling a bubble bee it can't fly, because it's specs dont look good on paper.
TOO COOL!
I am an Argosy fan myself.
I have owned and restored 4 of them over a period of nearly twenty years!
I love restoring Argosys because they are much easier to work on.
As for the Bronco towing; I am with you on it as a tow vehicle. If you look at how far your hitch is from the rear axle, in comparison to a Suburban, it is relatively close. You want this as close as possible.
My GMC Safari does well too. That is because of the same reason.
I do agree that wheelbase aids a lot. The longer, the better. My Safari has convinced me that I am going to get a full-size van for my next tow vehicle.
Again, welcome to Argosy ownership!
You should consider attending the Metro-Detroit rally in Grass Lake, MI from August 3-5! It is going to be a blast!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
It just won't open. You never know, it might not be that happy to be leaving its previous owner who had it for over 16 years, and took really good care of it.
Try pushing in on the door and holding it in, then try to open the door. Those old KT locks suck. Once you get into it let me know and I will tell you how to fix it!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Try pushing in on the door and holding it in, then try to open the door. Those old KT locks suck. Once you get into it let me know and I will tell you how to fix it!
Lou,
I have to push on the door to open it (75 TW). It is because the piece that goes into the jam has a grove in it and I have to push the grove off of the frame. Is that the problem you are talking about. If you have a fix that does not involve big bucks, I am all ears.

Congratulations on your tow today. What ever happened to "Tow it like you stole it"?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It depends...

We towed a 24' Nomad behind Bronco and Suburban, and 25' Airstream behind the Suburban and Excursion (current..). Towing across span of 18 years and ~ 25,000 miles.. Bronco is lighter, and thus has more power for towing relative to Suburbans (engine pushing less weight for tow vehicle..), and had no trouble pulling load uphill or accelerating. Ours had recirc ball steering, and had wander in its soul, so anti-sway really was necessary. Maybe newer ones have tighter rack and pinion steering. After first few trips, we would not have towed at freeway speeds (60-65) without anti-sway connected in addition to load level hitch. Hitch weights and relative trailer balance are also important factors in stability. A tail-heavy trailer will be far less stable than a nose-heavy version.. Tires and tire pressures also make big difference. Suburban with 40 psi rode well emptly, but wallowed when towing rather frighteningly. At 75 psi the Suburban was pretty solid and steady as tow vehicle, as is Excursion.. Trailer tire pressures are also a factor in handling.

If and when dynamic instability does occur (sway and oscillations), if not dampened, you could be off the road and in the weeds or worse in less than 10 seconds... Good luck...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
For all you Bronco bashers,

So for all of you Bronco bashers out there,

until you have actually pulled a trailer with one, telling every one how bad or dangerous it will be...
well we are all happy that u are happy.

but where exactly is all the bashing?

not in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...nco-26083.html

or any of the other threads where the bronco is a major theme...

i see many posts from FORMER bronco USERS who have changed tow vehicles...

and several posts for folks who DO tow with broncos...

and a few questions on towing 31s or 34s which might be an issue...

with the obviously short wheel base...

but not a lot of bashing, for bashings sake...

happy camping to ya!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Nice looking unit. Congratulations. You will have many miles and big smiles with what you have I'm sure. I suspect a lot of Argosy trailers of your vintage were hauled around with LTD wagons, Impala wagons and Chrysler wagons, as well as cars of similar size to their wagon counterparts.

Once you break into it you'll have to post pictures of the interior.

Barry
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Lou,
I have to push on the door to open it (75 TW). It is because the piece that goes into the jam has a grove in it and I have to push the grove off of the frame. Is that the problem you are talking about. If you have a fix that does not involve big bucks, I am all ears.

Congratulations on your tow today. What ever happened to "Tow it like you stole it"?
The fix I am talking about is because the roll pin inside has slipped up over the cup that holds that danged spring in place. Show me a picture of the groove and I might be able to help you out.
As for the "Tow it like you stole it" line, it had to go once I got rid of the Minuet. This new one is a BEAST compared to the Minuet!
Thanks for the congrats on my tow!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Very nice find...... And congrats to a fellow Argosian.