Old 05-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Recommendation

I recommend that you do not paint it a dark color - AC will not be able to cool properly and it will get hot inside. A nice tan would be nice / rather than the off white color it was. Good luck, and show us how it comes out.

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #16
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Denise;
Here is my french touch in choosing color for your argosy...
I had loved the choice that Rich Luhr made in his last project on his argosy ...
Check that and tell if you like:
Project Vintage Thunder: 2005-05-15

Bruno.

My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Denise,

It's your's. What is your favorite color or combination. There it's solved. Make it truly yours with what makes you happy.

Marie
Old 05-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You can paint it the factory color, and put "pearl" flames on it. They would only be obvious when looking at it from an angle.
Or, you could paint it Ivory, also with pearl, instead of metal flake. Okay, pearl is sort of metal flake, but the flakes are well, less "flakey".
Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Vintage Thunder gets HOT!

That color of VT is nice, but it really takes in the sun and heats up.... I like the factory idea.... but instead of flames - go with a Sharks teeth / mouth. Park it behind an SOB -and what a neat picture.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
two tone it

Why not paint the roof white to reflect the sun's rays, and then paint the sides and bottom whatever color you like?

I still like metal flake bass boat red

Of course, you could always paint it like Austin Power's airplane
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Why not paint the roof white to reflect the sun's rays, and then paint the sides and bottom whatever color you like?
Airstream paints the roof an enamel white, as do companies that make school buses now too. It appears to keep the interiors cooler....this could be a great idea!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Alsa Corp. makes a spray on chrome paint used on motorcycles, also some fancy color paints. Imagine a chrome shiny finish and you dont have to buff it. Would that make the Airstream people upset or what? Check out their web site you will be suprised at what you see in paint.
Alsa Corp | The world's most unique paints and finishes
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 22' Argosy 22
Harlan , Kentucky
Thanks overlander63. I like your idea about painting it the factory color with some pearl flames on it which would just add a nice touch. I think Vintage Thunder is a gorgeous color but am afraid a dark color is just going to get way to hot inside. I have to leave the Argosy outside in my driveway exposed to the heat. To another question, on the outside of the Argosy there is a piece that wraps around the trailer and bottom with a color that runs through it. It is loose ,some rivets missing. Should I have the person painting it remove that for good or leave it?? Also once I get the Argosy painted how do I post the pictures on this site??
Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Painting My Argosy~what Color??

Greetings Denise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise M.
To another question, on the outside of the Argosy there is a piece that wraps around the trailer and bottom with a color that runs through it. It is loose ,some rivets missing. Should I have the person painting it remove that for good or leave it?? Also once I get the Argosy painted how do I post the pictures on this site??
I believe what you are seeing is one of two possible features:
  • Banana wrap -- it is something that you will want to have repaired. It is necessary to complete the bellypan to sidewall attachment. It also provides some modest protection from pest intrusion as well (unfortunately, it can also make a good place for mice, wasps, bees, etc. to nest if not well sealed).
  • Belt-Line or Rub-Rail molding -- it isn't necessarily required (I seem to remember that they removed it from Vintage Thunder). The belt-line and rub-rail typically have a vinyl insert that is orange for the earlier Argosy coaches or blue for some of the 1979 Argosy coaches. The Orange insert has just recently become available again from Airstream. If you do choose to remove the molding, I believe that it would be prudent to fill any holes left with Olympic Rivets rather than pop-rivets.
Good luck with your refurbishment!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #25
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
We haven't had any trouble with keeping ours cool, despite the darker color. Don't worry about your crabby neighbor. We get the same thing here - people suggesting that having our argosy visible from the street somehow detracts from their property value. They're free to think that - and I'm free to keep parking next to my house.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
ajanib, how about posting a pic of yours to your photo gallery? I'd love to see a closer picture of it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 22' Argosy 22
Harlan , Kentucky
ajanib love your Argosy and the color. I think your right about neigbors sometimes thinking it will somehow hurt there property value etc... having one parked close to them and thats fine. There free to think the way they want but I also will keep parking mine in my driveway to enjoy.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think what you are describing is a rub rail, it is aluminum and has a colored vinyl insert that goes in the center of it.