Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Astoria , New York
Our New Argosy!

Greetings!
We are the proud new owners of a 1974 24 ft Argosy.
This is our first trailer of any kind, we are total newbies, and these forums were a huge help in deciding what we should look for.

My husband and I are musicians (www.thewhisperingtree.com)and in order to reduce our expenses and make touring for economically feasible, we decided to leave our apartment and live full time in a trailer. This may sound extreme, but we figure at the very least it will be fun! We're used to roughing it, so the size shouldn't be much of an issue - and we figure we will try to stay south in the winter.

We had been looking for an Airstream for about five months.
We knew we wanted an Airstream - and after seeing an Argosy for the first time, we refined our search

We drove ten hours to Ohio to look at it and it was love at first sight. This trailer was in FAR better condition (and cheaper) than any of the other airstreams we had visited. We didn't have much of a budget and the other ones we had visited all had that musty, grimy feel to them; this one was odorless and clean! The previous owner put a lot of love and care into it and was actually sad to see it go. He had sanded and repainted the exterior, put down linoleum flooring and had re-done all the curtains and upholstery, the brakes and tires are fairly new also. The only issue (that we know of) is that we need to change the water heater - which is turning out to be more of an ordeal to than we had imagined. It also doesn't have an AC, which we will definitely have to invest in at some point. The previous owner had mentioned some sagging in the belly pan under the bathroom - he reinforced it with some metal strips (see pic)...not sure what this means. There doesn't seem to be any rear sag/separation.

We leave our apartment on September 23rd (hopefully we'll have the water heater sorted by then, or we will be enjoying some cold showers) and we will be touring through Ohio in October, so I would like to stop by the factory and have the Airstream inspected.

Thanks for looking and happy trailing!
Eleanor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	138388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4701.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	138389  

Name:	DSCN4684.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	138390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4689.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	138391  

Name:	DSCN4677.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	138392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4686.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	138393  

Name:	DSCN4694.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	138394   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4680.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	138395  

Name:	DSCN4683.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	138406  

Old 08-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
That bracing with metal is interesting, ours has the same. I think it's something to do with the tanks, but I am not sure.
Anyway, GREAT FIND!
It would be awesome if you could keep us posted about your travels.
Welcome to Argosy ownership.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelashsoup
we will be touring through Ohio in October, so I would like to stop by the factory and have the Airstream inspected.
Sounds like a great find!

Definitely call well ahead of time to schedule an appt at the service center and ask how long it will take to inspect. I recently bought a 75 Argosy 26 which has been at the service center for a week being inspected. I wasn't in a hurry though.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome! I saw one photo of your Argosy on your profile earlier. I'm a little jealous of your new curtains, but my PO exorcised the green countertops so I guess it's a fair trade-off. I wish you many happy miles and many comfy nights!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Eleanor!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

You have found a very nice Argosy 24 Double. I am sure that your coach will provide many hours of enjoyment.

One suggestion since you will be full-timing and plan to be in Ohio when you may wish to use the furnace. The LP tanks on the coach appear to be 10 or 20 lb. size . . . they won't last long running the coach's furnace. You may wan to be on the look-out for either a pair of 30 or 40 pound LP tanks. When I purchased new tanks for my Overlander, I upgraded to 40 pound units and they have made for much less stressful travel as they provide a much longer period of time between refills.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Astoria , New York
Thanks so much for all the well wishes and advice! By the way, I keep calling it a '74, but it's a '75, duh.

Bex, glad to know that the bracing isn't uncommon, don't think we have the patience to deal with anything other than the water heater right now! We'll definitely be blogging about the experience on our website.

my3sonsdad, thanks for the heads up - will definitely call ahead and try to leave time in our schedule.

DKB_SATX, thanks for asking for more pics - I'd been too lazy to post until your comment Yeah, gotta love those green counter tops!

Kevin, have added your advice about the tank upgrades to our "To Do" list, which is growing rapidly as the date approaches. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Best to contact Chris Burch (cburch@airstream.com) in the Service Center via email....I called several times, but find email the best way to coordinate with them. There's another shop in Helena Ohio, P&S Travel Trailers, that is very reputable also, but I have no direct experience with them. If you're on the east coast, Frank Yensan is in the Baltimore area, again no direct experience, but he's here on the forum.

Keep us posted if you find a shop in your travels that does good work for you (at reasonable prices).
Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Pearland , Texas
Nice trailer! And your music is pretty damn good too!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Very nice! Congratulations.

I noticed in your pics that the shower wand is unattached...I believe that the original phoenix streamway fixture is upside down? The nipple for the shower wand should point up I think.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Very nice! Congratulations.

I noticed in your pics that the shower wand is unattached...I believe that the original phoenix streamway fixture is upside down? The nipple for the shower wand should point up I think.
re: the original shower: I definitely recommend the Oxygenics showerhead. I confess I didn't try to take a shower with the original, I turned it on and saw uneven spray in more than one direction, with leakage out the on/off button. I wanted something that would give a decent shower even from the onboard pump, and the Oxygenics is promising. It's a good $30 upgrade.

Here's what my installation is like.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Astoria , New York
my3sonsdad, thanks for the contacts! The only shop I've heard is Colonial Airstream in NJ, but have no experience with them - when the water heater installation started looking like an impossible task we considered getting them to install it but they said installation would be $900 not including the cost of the water heater!!! That seemed insane to us - but being a total newbie I'm not sure if that's normal. Anyway, it looks like we'll be able to complete it by ourselves, thankfully!

Fujak, thanks for listening!! When we make it down to Texas I'll let you know.

Phrunes and DKB_SATX, thanks for the tips - we still haven't taken it out for it's maiden voyage, so I have no clue about the shower situation. Will definitely invest in the Oxygenics showerhead, thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
$900! Bah! ...
First, welcome to the forums! You can install the waterheater yourself... it's just a Atwood water heater.. like this... Amazon.com: Atwood Mobile Products 96110 Pilot Ignition Water Heater - 6 Gallon: Automotive

You unscrew the old waterheater along the outside of the trailer... (see the pic of the new heater to see the flange that connects to the outside shell). Unhook the water pipes from the heater. Push it out from the inside to the outside.... sometimes you gotta push HARD. (I think mine had a piece of wood under it shimming it up.) DON"T throw away the styrofoam around the new one... that's your insulation. Take that foam off for the install... push the new one in from the outside. Put the foam on.. (you may have to now take out the wood shim that was there before). Hook up your pipes, you're good to go!

Now might be a good time to install a waterheater bypass ... it will allow you to winterize with RV antifreeze without filling your waterheater up with antifreeze. You can buy this kit at any RV store... or search Amazon too!

Smile that you saved $600!
One day should do it!
Marc
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
One more thing.. the new water heaters have a electric probe to hook up for push button igniting.. our ARgosy's don't have this feature. It's not hard to hook up, but if you don't want too, you can still just get one without this feature... OR, just light it manually.
Marc
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Nice clean coach! While at the Airstream Service Center I suggest you consider the purchase of rock shields for the curved windows. I've had several rock hits on my shields which would have taken out the curved windows in the 35,000 miles I've towed; I understand they are expensive to replace.