Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
origional vs. new and improved....

our argosy is origional in condition... meaning that everything is almost 30 years old we have already replaced the carpet and the valves and are looking for new shades .... purchased a 12 in.. LCD screen TV DVD combo and are going to update the speakers to new and improved ... if you follow this through why would I use the origional paint scheme .... was thinking of platinum ..... your opinions... ???
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's yours, do whatever pleases you. I don't think there's going to be a demand from collectors for those orange counters in the future, and why live with them if you'd like to modernize and update it? Same with the exterior. If your changes are tasteful and functional, then you can only improve the value of your trailer in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. I have a very original trailer, and so far I am trying to improve functionality while keeping it as original looking as possible. Most of all I want it to be so we can enjoy it while being respectiful of it's age and history. Enjoy your Argosy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Gotair

Funny you should have a 77 Minuet, we have a 77 Minuet. Wow that is all you found.
We bought a "perfect" one from a dealer in Idaho. We only replaced the carpet, the counter top, table, toilet, water pump,battery,charger,re-upholstered the whole thing, I'm replacing the black and Grey valves now, and have plans to replace all copper with PEX, I installed a rock Guard on the front window, and a new axle, along with completely re-screwing and riveting all cabinets and the like. The drapes were new and the water heater was 3 years old. The exterior paint and body looked real good.
I hope yours is in better shape than our "Perfect" one. Take a very good look at all systems and take it on a road trip for a week or more and see how everything holds up.
With all that said I still Love that Minuet and it is in great shape now, I think I would do it over again if I could.
The very best of luck
Old 04-14-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Oh! the paint scheme. Platinum would look great. I see that you are new to the forum, did you know it costs about $250 to $300 per foot to repaint them.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

hi everyone... new and improved

yep were new ... 2 camping trips under our belt .... second trip we learned that the shower doesnt drain into the gray water tank.... neat.. and that the heater doesnt work without battery or electric source....oops.. and to turn on the fridge day befor leaving or your stuff doesnt stay cold .. oh well still having fun.... yeah I'm going to be super dad someday... nick wants to paint it GI joe colors.... not untell he buys his own...

Janets husband.... local guy at a trailer shop in town that used to paint cars and now manages parts said single stage urethane with misc.. thinners reducers primers etc... about 4 hundred plus labor without any dent removal should run @ $1,400.oo sounds like a trip to Hawaii to me... oh well what ever it takes to be the cool dad nick thinks I am...
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

new and improved

stephanie.. Yeah mine is Lime green.... kinda hurts your eys.... we're going with darker tones... can't see how this would hurt the value of the trailer... unless your looking to go for the total resto look which I'm not .... yeah I can respect the bones of the trailer the curved window the large rivits down the sides the curves ... oops this is only a trailer....but when I pull it anywhere people always coment on the coolness of it... neighbors have come over to take a peek... I'm sure you all get the " looks like an Airstream " ..... yeah what ever ... I tell em that it is and someone painted it....
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think minuets are way cool - that was my first choice when I was shopping for one. They're hard to find, so you're lucky to have one.

Recently there was a bigger Argosy for sale on eBay painted 'ocean camo', I thought it was kind of cool in it's own way. I think the pictures are on the forum somewhere, you might try a search...

There's been a lot of threads on painting argosys and a recent one on painting an airstream silver. Lots of info, so you don't accidently waste money on a paintjob that flakes off in a couple years! Welcome, and Enjoy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 AM   #8

... The drapes were new and the water heater was 3 years old.

Any clue what make/manufacturer makes a replacement water heater for a '78 Minuet?
Thanks.
David
nauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Atwood 6 gallon model will fit in the hole perfectly. They bought the company that made the heater in the past. Depending on the paint on your trailer the colonial white door is a perfect match. You can get a number of options, DSI, gas/electric, or just a standing pilot model.

The best price I have found on new ones ( I have replaced 2) is www.rvcatalog.com
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
It's yours, do whatever pleases you...
My husband really wants a micowave oven in our safari, so we are thinking of putting an over-the-range type above the stove with a built in vent (if such a thing exists in a small enough footprint), or replacing the stove with a rangetop, and building a cabinet beneath that for the MWave.

Anybody have any opinions on this idea? Pros? Cons? We only camp in 3 to 4 day bursts, and have only needed to use an oven once before, and then we ended up wrapping the tenderloin in foil and tossing it in the coals so it would cook better. Best 'loin I ever had.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Since I have done this I will try to lend you some of my experience.

If you are planning on redoing the kitchen counter removing the stove and replacing it with a drop in cook top is a breeze. The space that the oven was in will hold a Microwave without a problem
Seethis picture To see how a microwave will fit. This will relive the issue of have a maybe working oven

The Cons are needing power to run the Microwave, and the fact that it limits the boondocking opportunities if you wish to cook in an oven.

We do not have a gas oven, but I have a MH with a gen set.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #12

The best price I have found on new ones ( I have replaced 2) is www.rvcatalog.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm on it...
-David
nauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair
Janets husband.... local guy at a trailer shop in town that used to paint cars and now manages parts said single stage urethane with misc.. thinners reducers primers etc... about 4 hundred plus labor without any dent removal should run @ $1,400.oo sounds like a trip to Hawaii to me... oh well what ever it takes to be the cool dad nick thinks I am...
Wow, Jump on it, that is a great price. Try and see some of his past work to see how he does. Almost sounds too good to be true,
Good Luck with it. I'm not sure how a Camo Minuet would look. MMMmmm... Could be interesting.