Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2002, 04:42 AM   #1
Oak
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Appleton , Maine
newbie looking to buy

We are looking at and will probably buy a 1986 Argosy 29' which has been hooked up to shore power and lived in for the past year. We therefore were not able to check out all 12V systems, brakes and running gear. This trailer looks really good!, and seems like a good deal.
If worse comes to worse, how big a project is it to replace/repair electric brakes and/or bearings/axles?
This trailer has all owners manuals and documentation with it and we're really ready to jump before someone else does. Please help ASAP!

Thanks, Oak - a (hopefully) brand new Airstream owner
Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:13 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Welcome,

I will try to answer, but others may have more info or suggestions. I have seen members post that entire backing plates with brake shoes run in the $50.00 range per wheel, I would be guessing on the drums/bearings, but someone out there knows.

As to the rest of it the 12VDC system should be in use to some extent even if it is been stationary. Lighting, fans, and water pump should be able to be tested. Those are usally cheap to fix, it is the plumbing and appliances that can get to be bigger$$ costs, so be sure both the hot water and cold work on every faucet, and check out the gas appliances. stove, heat, refer, and water heater these can all be big ticket items.

If memory serves this is a fiberglass/alumimum unit, AKA squarestream unit. I know there are some parts availability issues, but overall they were a very well built unit. If it works out and you do get it you will have a trailer that was produced in very low numbers.

Good luck, let us know how you decide!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:55 PM   #3
Oak
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Appleton , Maine
'86 Argosy TT

Thanks for the reply and info on potential brake repair costs and the reassurance about the 12V systems. I do appreciate all of the knowledge that is amassed out there and I feel kinda bad about being all one way since I know nothing about any of this.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:35 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
All we ask is for you to try to learn as much as you can and freely pass the knowlege along to others. That is what makes the forum great.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 05:53 AM   #5
Oak
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Appleton , Maine
We bought the Argosy

Well, we went ahead and bought the '86 Argosy 29' trailer. With our eyes more or less wide open we decided that this was a good way to get our feet wet with this whole travel trailer idea. We now have to figure out the systems, and repair a couple of areas of soft floor, but we figured with the price we paid we would be able to put some money into it and not get hurt too badly!
We now need to find a few parts, such as a lens for the hook up light on the front of the trailer, for starters. I have an appointment today(10-10) to get the hot water heater looked at, the power jack and wheel bearings all checked out, maybe some new tires and we'll be ready for our first trip! Due to work schedules it will probably only be an overnight, but what the hey, gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hi Oak,

Congradulations on your new toy. Now the fun begins. We just recently bought ours and have taken a few shakedown trips with it. We had to replace our tires when one blew out on the first trip. If your trailer has been sitting you might seriously consider replacing the tires, even if the tread looks good. Does your t/t have a spare tire with it? Also make sure you have a lug wrench that fits the lugs on the trailer. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2002, 05:47 AM   #7
Oak
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Appleton , Maine
getting started

Les - yesterday ( 10-11) I got the electric jack repaired, ordered a circuit board for the water heater, and bought a couple of light fixtures to replace the hook up light, and the light over the dump valves. Next week when the circuit board comes in I will have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked, and 5 new tires installed, including 1 for the spared. This is mounted under the a-frame below the horizontal propane tanks. There is a lug wrench in the outside storage locker, but I will make sure today that it actually fits the lug nuts. GOOD POINT!
Since we live in Maine and would like to make a few short trips this fall and maybe go south around Christmas, do we need to winterize, then un-winterize or what?
As always, Thanks for the help, Oak
Old 10-11-2002, 06:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Another quick tip:

You may want to turn your water pump on for about half an hour and leave all of the sink/shower fixtures turned off. If your pump turns on and off, then there is probably a small leak somewhere.

I learned the hard way. My pump kept cutting on about every 15 minutes. Just for a couple seconds at a time. I finally found a leak under the toilet. I think that I cought it before any damage was done to the rear floor.

Good luck,
Patrick
PatCrusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Lug Nut Wrench!

Les,

GREAT point about a LUG NUT wrench ... with all this talk and worring about how and where to store a spare ... no one has ever mentioned (That I have seen) the approprate tool to replace a tire on the road should one need to.

My trailer weight just increased by another pound!

Thank you for you forethought!

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Lug nut wrench

Experience is a great teacher. When I had my flat I was bringing the t/t home from the previous owner. The t/t had a spare tire but no lug wrench. The wrench from my tow car was the right size but was too thick to fit over the nuts (between the nuts and the wheels).
Old 10-11-2002, 06:56 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Thank you

For sharing your experience with us!

Now this tragedy will not befall me and mine!

What did you do in that situation ... call triple A only to find out they didn't have a matching wrench?

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wrecker service

Hi DMC,

I called a wrecker service, fortunately only 20 miloes away, and had the tire changed and on my way again within an hour. I have road service through my auto and RV insurance (USAA) and was reimbursed for my expense. I felt lucky, though, since I had just traveled through about 100 miles of West Texas without a sign of life other than what was on the highway.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Winteriaing

Hi Oak,

I'm afraid I wont be much help on the winterrising question.
We live in Arizona and have not had to address that issue. There has been a lot of good discussions about winterizing on this forum though. Do a search for it and you will probably find more than you wanted to know.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Hi Oak,

The best I can say is this, blow your water lines out after your last Fall trip and shut all gas down, also empty black and grey water tanks. When the time comes to ready for Christmas trip, fire the furnace to warm everything up(this will warm the water lines) fill water , check for leaks (which I dought you'll have) and pray to the snow GODS that you can go south from Maine at Christmas!! Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote