Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Looks like pic didn't go through ..... Here it is again.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-478542503.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	191276

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought my trailer in 2010 to take a trip to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. The plumbing didn't leak on mine and after two false starts I had water everywhere with no leaks. The first false start was the water inlet was clogged with debris. I had to remove it and clean it all out to the pressure regulator. When I had water coming in, it all went right to the ground under the pop off valve. I removed the pop off to replace it and found it was just stuck open (probably by a shot of high pressure air). I closed the valve and it has worked fine since.

The towing lights didn't all work so I replaced all the clearance lights, all the bulbs, polished the sockets in the tail lights, new light lenses, new fuse panel, and new umbilical cord. New tires, packed the wheel bearings, set up the brakes, and new break away switch installed.

The window and door gaskets were compressed so I replaced them all. While I had the windows out I installed solar film.

The air conditioner didn't work, so I replaced it with a new one. I was planning to take the trip in September 2010. The refrigerator worked but my wife didn't like it because it looked old. I bought a new one. The floor wood needed areas replaced and the frame cross member needed to be replaced under the leaking ceiling vent. Got that done.

My wife didn't like the twin beds or the two OEM sofas, so they came out. I didn't like the idea of using the old water heater and furnace so they were replaced. Furnace ducts removed and stored. The cabinets were poorly made and badly laid out, so they were removed. The ceiling vents needed to be replaced with three new FanTastic powered fans. The plumbing was mostly copper with some braided hose clamped in. I ripped it all out except for the city water connection.

Now it's 2011. New floor covering, new cooking stove, new cabinets, counter tops, sink, faucets, new closet, new plumbing new water heater, new gas furnace, new refrigerator installed, new double bed, shades on windows, and new jack knife sofa installed. Now it's late 2011.

2012, the trip is ON! Oops! My wife said she wouldn't be seen associated with the trailer with the peeling clear coat, so I stripped the clear coat and polished the trailer, replaced the belt and trim inserts, and bought and installed new awning fabric with Alumaguard. Now it's late 2012.

2013 . . . I'm sort of looking around for another Airstream project. Still haven't taken a trip, still haven't spent one night in the trailer. Wife refers to the Airstream as "Your trailer".

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshughes View Post
Looks like pic didn't go through ..... Here it is again.....

Attachment 191276

Pex connectors fit copper unless the copper is stretched due to freezing.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Splitrock......my husband says this is my baby....lol ... No he is helping ...... The copper is just that way ...... So many tees and don't know what doing......
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
And btw .....we camping people w/ o water or electric and I'm a woman that can survive in both being surrounded by a husband and two boys.....lol .... Do out trailer even though w/o h2o , it has ac and doesn't leak during the rain do good enough......laughs all the way.....
Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
First, map out the system

We had the same problems with the fresh water plumbing in our Safari, and we elected to replace the copper plumbing with PEX in its entirety.

First, peer into all the nooks and crannies in the trailer and figure out where the old plumbing goes and what each line does. Good news is that it's all above the floor.

Get some paper and make a map of the system--cold, hot, tank, pump, all of it.

After you have your map fully worked out, take out the copper a piece at a time, as you can reach and cut it.

Recycle the copper. Be prepared to prove you didn't steal it. Helps pay for the new plumbing.

Rebuild the system using PEX.

I used crimp connectors and a tool that required room to actuate. That meant I had to build the system up in sections, lay those in place, and make the last connection where there was room for the tool to operate. The new tools that work in close quarters with vice-grips sound better to me.

There were places, particularly near the pump, where the PEX fittings required a lot more room than the original copper elbows. Re-engineering the system was simple. I just remembered what each section was supposed to do and built something that did the same.

PEX is the most simple and forgiving plumbing material I've ever used. The new system in the trailer is four years old now, and hasn't given us a bit of trouble.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Thank you ..... This is what we did for temporary ....... Not ideal but gonna see if we can actually get running water, which we haven't be able to do .......crossing fingers:-)

1. Before
2. During
3. After.....

Name:	image-3825234753.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	191287

Name:	image-2116824477.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	191288

Name:	image-2716401583.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	191286
Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Woooo hoooo just fixed a fused for ceiling lights and rear bath light !!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Didn't we could get excited about light working.....lol
Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Well the fix didn't work , still no water ..... Water leaking out belly pan where toilet,sink .....in the rear..... IDK .....suggestions ..... No water to sink in galley no where, not even w/ water pump on and not w/ hose connected.....
Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #67

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
That garden-hose fix may last a while. If your trailer's built-in pressure regulator isn't present or doesn't work, you might want an external one because that interface between copper and garden hose will be a leak risk with too much pressure, since the copper isn't flanged. It'll let you put off the PEX for a while.

EDIT: d'oh! You were posting while I was. So, your temporary garden-hose fix let you get farther into the system to find more leaks. This is why it's worth the effort to just go all-PEX.

Water coming out the belly pan under the bathroom that you don't see above the floor suggests leaks behind the plastic walls.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
DKB ..... Put a regulator on outside , but we still have no water anywhere....
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr ........frustrated is to say the least!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Lol DKB ..... Yes ......out of belly pan,and yes on reply .....it's being a PITA......