Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #41

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Old Airstream copper pipes are always a good candidate for PEX. I know you'd hoped to be somewhat selective about your PEX changeover, but once you make the investment in tools and such, it's just a few more feet of pipe. (My sly comment assumes you're going with crimp-on, I think the incremental cost of Shark-Bite fittings is probably more significant.)

That big metal paperweight is the Univolt, old-school single-stage battery boiler...er... charger.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Once again thanks DKB ... And shark bite is a definite as well ....
jshughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Rain and more rain ......never stops here in middle GA......
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Well rain has given us a break ..... Attempting to fix copper pipe leak w/ this slip repair coupling......luck is needed.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3591532062.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	191205
Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
This is what we are attempting to repair.... Ideas are welcomed

Name:	image-4259465487.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	191211
Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Out with the hole and in with the slip....

Name:	image-3621532600.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	191212
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Well that is what was intended, doesn't fit and our lowes doesn't have anything that will ..... Don't know where we went wrong ...... Help please
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
I believe I know now why the garden hose was used ......cause nothing else fits , so if anyone has any ideas ...... Please please share!!!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #49

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshughes View Post
Well that is what was intended, doesn't fit and our lowes doesn't have anything that will ..... Don't know where we went wrong ...... Help please
I'm guessing that the problem you're running into is that when the pipes froze in the past, the copper tubing expanded even where it didn't burst, so it doesn't fit the standard-sized repair parts. That's how people ended up with those high-quality flexible splices in the first place.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
So now what do we do ? Don't have a clue ...... Frustrated to say the least!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have not read the whole thread, just the last page, but I would just go ahead and replace all the copper piping with Pex and use crimp fittings. Some assemblies may be made outside the trailer and then install the assembly in the trailer. Lowes and HD sell a crimp tool that is good for tight places. You need a good set of vise grips along with the tool (only $20).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #52
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I agree with Dan.
I had no experience with plumbing at all and did ours during a weekend. Hardest part for me was getting the copper out from under the unit that ran to the center bath. I was also able to figure out a drain out/antifreeze in for the system.
Good luck

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
plumbing isn't hard but finding parts for vintage plumbing is which is why I dislike plumbing so much. however, the pex & crimp installs are very easy and at least are readily available. good luck
Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Thank You ...... Yes having no experience in plumbing nor electrical , nor campers makes this a challenge !! Figuring out where things go and what is hooked to what.....and is that supposed to be there and oh I forgot of course will I screw this up completely ......lol .......but the PEX and crimps are going to have to work for the remainder of weekend. Going to a new hunting club .....I'm sure some help will come from there as well ....will post later for the easy fix for now......don't think have service where we going so out of this thread till get back....:-)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Well .....no go on our out of town ..... Nothing to do but fix camper w/ PEX .....lol ..... Sure hope some are keeping up on this little thread of ours, will have questions I'm sure .....
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Somebody please tell us how to fix this cause tried to get PEX line and our lowes is saying it can't been done ......HELP PLEASE .....

Name:	image-847109419.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	191274
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Looks like pic didn't go through ..... Here it is again.....

Name:	image-478542503.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	191276
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought my trailer in 2010 to take a trip to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. The plumbing didn't leak on mine and after two false starts I had water everywhere with no leaks. The first false start was the water inlet was clogged with debris. I had to remove it and clean it all out to the pressure regulator. When I had water coming in, it all went right to the ground under the pop off valve. I removed the pop off to replace it and found it was just stuck open (probably by a shot of high pressure air). I closed the valve and it has worked fine since.

The towing lights didn't all work so I replaced all the clearance lights, all the bulbs, polished the sockets in the tail lights, new light lenses, new fuse panel, and new umbilical cord. New tires, packed the wheel bearings, set up the brakes, and new break away switch installed.

The window and door gaskets were compressed so I replaced them all. While I had the windows out I installed solar film.

The air conditioner didn't work, so I replaced it with a new one. I was planning to take the trip in September 2010. The refrigerator worked but my wife didn't like it because it looked old. I bought a new one. The floor wood needed areas replaced and the frame cross member needed to be replaced under the leaking ceiling vent. Got that done.

My wife didn't like the twin beds or the two OEM sofas, so they came out. I didn't like the idea of using the old water heater and furnace so they were replaced. Furnace ducts removed and stored. The cabinets were poorly made and badly laid out, so they were removed. The ceiling vents needed to be replaced with three new FanTastic powered fans. The plumbing was mostly copper with some braided hose clamped in. I ripped it all out except for the city water connection.

Now it's 2011. New floor covering, new cooking stove, new cabinets, counter tops, sink, faucets, new closet, new plumbing new water heater, new gas furnace, new refrigerator installed, new double bed, shades on windows, and new jack knife sofa installed. Now it's late 2011.

2012, the trip is ON! Oops! My wife said she wouldn't be seen associated with the trailer with the peeling clear coat, so I stripped the clear coat and polished the trailer, replaced the belt and trim inserts, and bought and installed new awning fabric with Alumaguard. Now it's late 2012.

2013 . . . I'm sort of looking around for another Airstream project. Still haven't taken a trip, still haven't spent one night in the trailer. Wife refers to the Airstream as "Your trailer".
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshughes View Post
Looks like pic didn't go through ..... Here it is again.....

Attachment 191276

Pex connectors fit copper unless the copper is stretched due to freezing.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Perry , Georgia
Splitrock......my husband says this is my baby....lol ... No he is helping ...... The copper is just that way ...... So many tees and don't know what doing......