Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
New to us, New issues

Just went out this evening to reconnoiter and, as it's getting cold here, I closed the door. Funny thing, the latch works to open the door from the outside, but once inside with the door closed, the latch doesn't work - I couldn't open the door from the inside! Had to crawl out the front window. I'm glad no one has photos.

Anyway, does anyone have experience re-working the locking mechanism? Seems like it's probably a spring, but I don't want to take it apart until I get feedback from someone who has gone done this rabbit hole before.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Is the machine screw in place on the inside of the lock. It can be pushed up and down to lock and unlock the handle/latch. I am wondering if this machine screw is not fully engaged one way or t'other so preventing the mechanism from working as it should.
If its missing, do a search for the correct size and get one from a hardware store.
Thats all I got on this.
Best of luck and yes, someone SHOULD have got and posted pics!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I pulled the lock and started examining everything. The locking mechanism, the springs and gears, are encased in what appears to be a pot metal case, maybe aluminum. What is exposed with the lock out is pretty simple, and I like simple. The inside handle operates a cam that pushes against a pin that then pushes the latch into the case, allowing the door to open. The pin was not there, so the cam couldn't do it's thing. I started thinking how I could fab one, not knowing exactly what it looked like. Then I had the idea to look in the pocket on the outside of the door where the whole assembly fits - dang, there it was. I think the PO had removed it to clean and grease the mechanism and forgot to replace it. Anyway, a pretty simple fix