Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
codorus , Pennsylvania
new to the forums

hello everyone! im excited about going to look at a 1972 24' argosy this weekend. recently sold my truck camper and really interested in the airstreams. the camper isnt to bad from the pictures but am nervous about the purchase and the 200 mile ride home !i printed the check list for used campers and i plan to take a load of tool (just in case ) but am open to advice and any help. the camper has been in this family from new (3rd owner now) inside looks good , he claims excelent, outside has some dents and rust, this is info just from talking and pics. i hope this to be a enjoyable experience.......

clown head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Welcome and good luck to you! Look thoroughly. Know your skillset. Expect that there will be things found needing repair after the sale. These forums offer alot of info and knowledge, links and support. You might share the pics and let the experienced eyes here advise.

Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
codorus , Pennsylvania
check it out

1972 Airstream Argosy! here is the ad...i hope he has some wiggle room on price..hope this doesnt get more attention until the weekend from posting this
clown head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Tires, tires and tires, that is your biggest question for a 200 mile ride back home. Other than that, you figure that you will have to go step by step and take care of issues you run across in buying a used AS. Owning an Airstream is a unique club in itself, congrats and welcome.

2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Second that....Tires and a serious brake check. Make sure the brake away switch is there. Also see if you can go to a local dealer for the wiring schematic for the 7-way plug. Sometimes the wiring lines were changed up and the backup lights were wired to the 12v charge line or something else. Most importably is that you have the proper umbilical connection 7-way pin or blade and that if all fails you know how to wire to get proper brake function and some extra taillights just in case the umbilical doesnt function with your vehicle. It happens. Secure everything inside with bungee cords and some non residue tape and drive slow. the axles are probably shot and will send shock waves like a Hydrogen Bomb straight into the shell and shake things loose and cause severe damage if you arent careful first tow home. bring tie down straps just in case the rear end has separated although thats a different issue on whether you'd want to purchase it or not.

in regards to posting the ad it was just said recently that a motor home purchase was killed by the time they got back to the dealer possibly because they posted the info here. Who knows. sometimes when it comes to AS if you snooze you lose...but you can always offer a small refundable or even non refundable (if you're 100% sure you want it) deposit.
Always best to call a seller rather than just seems more genuine that way as far as interest goes.

Anyway. for sure bring as many tools as you can and let us know how it goes
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If there are no hidden problems, that could be a nice deal. Of course, it's always better if you can get it for less, but if the floor is solid and all systems are working, with new awning fabric that price is in range.

As has been said above, make sure you have good enough tires for the 200 mile tow home. Having a tire disintegrate and beat up the skin and the wheel well gets expensive in a hurry.

Typical for Airstreams and Argosies of this vintage, it probably needs new axles. This isn't actually a big deal, and you can order new axles complete with new drums and brakes, already assembled that are a bolt-on (or near-bolt-on) upgrade. (see many axle-replacement threads, including mine.)

The very-original interior looks pretty nice. I have the original cushions on the dinette, but the previous owner redid both of the mattresses (mine's a twin-bed plan) so I don't have nearly as much retro textiles as this '72 includes.

Good luck! I hope it turns out to be a good deal for you. Inspect, inspect, inspect... it's OK to buy something that needs work as long as you have an idea what you're getting into.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
new to the forums

Greetings clown head!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage First Generation Argosys!

Originally Posted by clown head View Post
1972 Airstream Argosy! here is the ad...i hope he has some wiggle room on price..hope this doesnt get more attention until the weekend from posting this
Based upon the exterior appearance, I suspect that it is likely an Argosy 24. It appears to have a curbside awning, and by the arm design, I would suspect that it is either a Care Free or A & E awning -- both are good brands, but repair parts aren't as readily available as they are for Zip Dee (particularly the curved side arms and components).

I suspect that the dent in the streetside front corner may be a large part of the reasonable asking price. Even though automotive body repair techniques can be utilized on an Argosy, achieving a smooth repair (without panel replacement) is likely to take someone with exceptional skill.

Good luck with your investigation!

P.S.: The coach that you are considering is from the first year of first generation Argosy production, and it appears to have the "Spring Green" interior decor option (orange and blue were two other available decors). Keep in mind that you will probably want to install some kind of rock protection for those deep-wrap front wing windows as the clear glass verison utilized on first generation Argosys is no longer available . . . new replacement glass available today is all of the solar gray tinted variety utilized on new Airstreams.

I have also attached a pdf file containing the particulars on how the original umbilical cord was wired. The original wiring schematic as well as wire color/function do not correspond to the current industry standard for wiring the seven-pole Bargman connector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1966-81.pdf (9.0 KB, 16 views)

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote