Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
New Owners, Lots to Do!

Hi all, we purchased a 1979- says on the title- Argosy "28". I've not found any books or manuals yet for it with the trailer and did not see that particular Argosy listed in the data base here. I know it will take a closers look at least at the tag on the shell to find this out. The cabin measure 24'5" end to end outside.
This unit has seen use and being 35 years old it will need some serious effort to get it up to par and nice again. Some roof damage, rust on end caps, door not quite flush, small area of floor rot, etc etc etc. We are just beginning a push to rehab this trailer and plan to take about 3 years to get it really in shape.
I'm looking forward to asking all the silly questions and getting my hands dirty here, whatever it takes. Some of the appliances need repair, wife would like upgraded bathroom fixtures, new flooring, etc etc. Right off the bat I will need a spare wheel since no spare came with. I know there will be a lot more to get, one thing at a time!
Looking forward!
Patk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the Airforums. Sounds like you will be busy with your purchase. It will be a labor of love for sure. Steady as she goes. I am still after 4 years finding things to do to make our rig as our own. We'll be watching your progress, keep us posted.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Good luck with your project and make sure you show us some pictures, before and after.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Look at this site for ideas and articles as well as sources for some of those needed supplies.
Vintage Airstream - Airstream Trailer Resource
You are going to spend a lot of time on the forums looking for information. Don't ask me how I know. Just keep plugging along on it and it will get done.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
Thank you all for the welcome!
First surprise was, when I read the tag on the front, it's actually a 1976 model!

By the way our 2011 Nissan Titan pulled it pretty well. I do have a load stabilizer setup for when we take it on trips starting hopefully sometime next year!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
So in going through all the cubbies, nooks, and crannies, I have not found an owner's manual or any documents on this model or any of the appliances etc.
Is there a resource that has pdf's of these old manuals? It would be great to have all the specs and so forth.
So far the a/c unit does come on, the lights worked sort of but there is some obvious connection/converter issues, furnace fan motor may be bad, fridge has not come on yet. 4-burner stove works, not sure about the oven. The fresh water tank may have leaked, there is a rot spot by the front door.
A new sewage hose was thrown in with the deal; but no fresh water hose or electrical line to run power from the house.

I'm just beginning to get the picture here. Lots and lots of details! I want to formulate a plan to do a good solid rehab on this.
Priorities as I see them:
Exterior.... body work, rust treat, prime, paint, stop leaks, caulk, replace covers, vents, latches, fixtures, door and window repair/replace as needed,

Appliances... See what works and doesn't, troubleshoot/repair/replace as needed, wiring/gas/water lines as needed.

Interior..Investigate floor, repair as needed/ new carpet or flooring, .New cushions throughout, curtains, light fixtures, bathroom redo with new sliding door

Wheels etc...New tires, repack bearings, rehab or replace front and rear leveling jacks, check out hitch tongue, axles, seal underside

I know there is more. Just a rough idea. Comments welcome!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Try cleaning the fridge burner to make sure there is no gunk in there to keep it unlit. Unless it is very rusty/refrigerant free, the refrigerators are pretty stout. There is a little pipe for exhaust that needs to be cleaned, or at least checked for blockage. Dometic may say there are models that replace what you have, but it isn't as easy as they make it sound. You have to modify the cabinets to get the new one in.

The furnace is a problem. If it works, be sure to get a monoxide detector. If it doesn't work, you can buy one that is the same dimensions with pilotless ignition.

Talk to Inland RV about the gasket material for the doors and windows and don't overlook the vent caps on the roof.

Axles get old and replacing them on an older unit is usually a really good idea. The improvement in ride and towing is great.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Be prepared to spend many $$$$$'s.
With the list you have made. My guess is $8-10K. Not counting a new paint job.
New axles and tires will set you back $2.5-$3K.
You will be amazed at how fast the remaining $5-$7K will go.
Good Luck in your new adventure.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Welcome!
We NEED pics!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I'll get the camera out probably Saturday.

Bex, saw your message, considering, will let you know shortly, thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
No worries. I have several for 1976, now that I have had a look. They are a nice item to have with a trailer but all the info you are going to need will be had from here.

Bex
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
You can save quite a bit on your axles if you install them yourself. Talk to Inland. I have priced a few sets of axles for various Argosy trailers I looked at (and did not buy for other reasons). Axles with self adjusting brakes set up run about $800 apiece, plus you will need shocks and then delivery. There are a number of manufacturing plants around the country, and if one is reasonably close, you may be able to arrange for pickup and save on shipping costs. Andy at Inland can help you on all points.
There are lots of threads on installing dual axles. I have not done this yet myself, but when I have my own trailer I will likely be installing them myself. It sounds like a reasonably straightforward bolt/unbolt sort of thing, if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. Search this forum and you will find lots of information on the install. I also called Jackson Center, and they quoted $1500 for parts and labor if you want them to do the work.

BTW, congrats on finding "your" argosy.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
The first big project is sort of urgent, the top was hit by a branch at some point not too long ago. My mentor and I plan to take the dented metal out and replace a section as needed. I notice the rivets are different than anything I've seen elsewhere.
This is over the center bathroom more or less. The damage is where the wall becomes the roof. I plan to use exact or as close to original stuff for repairs/remodel throughout.

So who carried thise rivets?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patk View Post
The first big project is sort of urgent, the top was hit by a branch at some point not too long ago. My mentor and I plan to take the dented metal out and replace a section as needed. I notice the rivets are different than anything I've seen elsewhere.
This is over the center bathroom more or less. The damage is where the wall becomes the roof. I plan to use exact or as close to original stuff for repairs/remodel throughout.

So who carried thise rivets?
Inland RV have some I think.
Inland RV Center Inc.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #16
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
My big peice of advice would be this…….

DON'T rip it all apart YET. Take time to fully discover what needs work and fully understand all the effort and hours needed to do what is required.
If you want to continue, fall in love first, understand that she will do her best to thwart your efforts at every turn, but if you have the desire, you will succeed, even if you find yourself taking three steps back.
Be prepared to use new technology and technics to solve very old problems and be prepared to change your mind ten times over before settling on a course of action.
By taking her apart and putting her back together you will understand all her nuances and every nook and cranny. You and your Argosy (or Airstream) will have no secrets.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
A picture of the rivets would help. Most Airstreams are put together with rivets that are 'bucked' to fasten the sheets together. Olympic rivets are also used as they work like pop rivets but can be finished to look like the bucked rivets. The process is simple in theory: drill out the old rivets carefully, fit the new piece into place, back drill to get the holes right, and re-rivet. If you are using Olympic rivets, you then finish the rivet with a tool that makes it look like a standard rivet. Look at this page for rivets and tools:
Rivets & Fasteners
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I had Vintage bookmarked but had not got that far yet! They appear to be buck rivets.

In a past career I used a few different rivets to assemble supports to aluminum skin. We built commercial satellite dishes up to 9.4 meters across by making wedge shaped panels bent to conform to a specific curve. We used hydraulic ramsets which had originally bent aluminum into aircraft wing panels. Upshot is I'm no stranger to some types of rivets. We used small and large pop type rivets and also big monobolts for a different dish.
I guess once we get a good look at the damage we can determine what method and material to use.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I was told that Airstream actually uses the Olympic rivets for panel repairs as you don't have to remove the interior to set the rivets. The page on Vintage has Olympic, pop, and buck rivets as well as the tools to make you a riveting RVer, full of riveting tales to tell around the campfire. (Couldn't resist!)
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I expect we will have to assess if there has been much leaking in and decide if insulation or inside ceiling pieces will need replacing anyway. We might be able to see this from above if we take some of the outer skin off.
I see it coming- every day a new adventure!