Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might take the inner skins down first to see what the damage looks like from inside. Lots of drilling to get the inner skins loose, but it isn't particularly difficult. If you are doing floor work the cabinets and walls have to come out anyhow. Hidden rivets and screws are the biggest pain and rusted screws can be a chore.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
https://www.facebook.com/jawbone.ken...6839482&type=3

Here is a photo album I just put up at Facebook!
Patk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I notice Inland is running a sale on axles. You might take a look.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I think the urgent priority is to definitely deal with any leaks in the outer skin. Then see about power so we can check appliances. Plumbing is next . Axles made it the 50 miles drive home and we have a couple of years to deal with that. When we look at axles we'll replace tires as well. Bearings are good.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
My big peice of advice would be this…….

DON'T rip it all apart YET. Take time to fully discover what needs work and fully understand all the effort and hours needed to do what is required.
If you want to continue, fall in love first, understand that she will do her best to thwart your efforts at every turn, but if you have the desire, you will succeed, even if you find yourself taking three steps back.
Be prepared to use new technology and technics to solve very old problems and be prepared to change your mind ten times over before settling on a course of action.
By taking her apart and putting her back together you will understand all her nuances and every nook and cranny. You and your Argosy (or Airstream) will have no secrets.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
My favorite bit of advice so far and so much good advice to be had and badly needed thank you!

So grateful to have found this site and that it exists!

Lee
DLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
https://www.facebook.com/jawbone.ken...6839482&type=3

Here's a link to the facebook album I put up the other day. More to follow, these don't show the exterior damage very well where a branch hit the roof over the bathroom.
First priority here to me is repair/replace dented roof area and seal any leaks. everything else follows.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Facebook is not cooperating.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
Argo, it's working here. I will try a different way soon though.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
After a few adventures in my life I am finally looking at beginning work on this Argosy. I've had it covered with a huge tarp for a few months but wind and the rooftop antenna have shredded it in places. The antenna will be coming off before I re-cover. As far as I can tell there have been no leaks but a closer inspection is needed.
We plugged it in today and checked lights and the a/c unit, all of which work, but it did pop the 20 amp breaker after a few minutes. I'm getting a fresh deep cycle battery shortly. The plan there is to run a drop with a 30 amp breaker off the house box and get it close to the Argosy so extension cords aren't needed. Midsummer here, it will take some a/c to get much done out there!
There is one soft spot near the only entry door, possibly because the door does not seal to the body rain got in for some time before I got the trailer. It's likely the door was caught by the wind and bounced off the body, which would flattehn out the curve some.
My go-to guy is out of town but I'm ready to start doing what I can to get this thing going.
What seems simplest to me is to take it all out to the walls, ditch the carpet, get the floor solid and finished, and proceed from there.
BUT there is roof stuff to do as well. Repair damage from a fallen branch just over the bathroom. Replace/reseal the vents and around the a/c unit. Re-caulk a lot and then begin prep for paint.
So- keep the water out first, then pull out the interior. I like the layout so a lot of that will be saved to put back in.
Wondering about the gas-elecric refrig. Wondering if electric water heater, furnace, and oven/stove is feasible.
Considering rooftop solar panels. Thinking about a big generator to run all the electric stuff.

Looks like a big project! This will be home in a couple of years. I want to do it right!