Old 02-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patk View Post
The first big project is sort of urgent, the top was hit by a branch at some point not too long ago. My mentor and I plan to take the dented metal out and replace a section as needed. I notice the rivets are different than anything I've seen elsewhere.
This is over the center bathroom more or less. The damage is where the wall becomes the roof. I plan to use exact or as close to original stuff for repairs/remodel throughout.

So who carried thise rivets?
Inland RV have some I think.
Inland RV Center Inc.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
My big peice of advice would be this…….

DON'T rip it all apart YET. Take time to fully discover what needs work and fully understand all the effort and hours needed to do what is required.
If you want to continue, fall in love first, understand that she will do her best to thwart your efforts at every turn, but if you have the desire, you will succeed, even if you find yourself taking three steps back.
Be prepared to use new technology and technics to solve very old problems and be prepared to change your mind ten times over before settling on a course of action.
By taking her apart and putting her back together you will understand all her nuances and every nook and cranny. You and your Argosy (or Airstream) will have no secrets.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony

Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
A picture of the rivets would help. Most Airstreams are put together with rivets that are 'bucked' to fasten the sheets together. Olympic rivets are also used as they work like pop rivets but can be finished to look like the bucked rivets. The process is simple in theory: drill out the old rivets carefully, fit the new piece into place, back drill to get the holes right, and re-rivet. If you are using Olympic rivets, you then finish the rivet with a tool that makes it look like a standard rivet. Look at this page for rivets and tools:
Rivets & Fasteners
Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I had Vintage bookmarked but had not got that far yet! They appear to be buck rivets.

In a past career I used a few different rivets to assemble supports to aluminum skin. We built commercial satellite dishes up to 9.4 meters across by making wedge shaped panels bent to conform to a specific curve. We used hydraulic ramsets which had originally bent aluminum into aircraft wing panels. Upshot is I'm no stranger to some types of rivets. We used small and large pop type rivets and also big monobolts for a different dish.
I guess once we get a good look at the damage we can determine what method and material to use.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I was told that Airstream actually uses the Olympic rivets for panel repairs as you don't have to remove the interior to set the rivets. The page on Vintage has Olympic, pop, and buck rivets as well as the tools to make you a riveting RVer, full of riveting tales to tell around the campfire. (Couldn't resist!)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I expect we will have to assess if there has been much leaking in and decide if insulation or inside ceiling pieces will need replacing anyway. We might be able to see this from above if we take some of the outer skin off.
I see it coming- every day a new adventure!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might take the inner skins down first to see what the damage looks like from inside. Lots of drilling to get the inner skins loose, but it isn't particularly difficult. If you are doing floor work the cabinets and walls have to come out anyhow. Hidden rivets and screws are the biggest pain and rusted screws can be a chore.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
https://www.facebook.com/jawbone.ken...6839482&type=3

Here is a photo album I just put up at Facebook!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I notice Inland is running a sale on axles. You might take a look.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
I think the urgent priority is to definitely deal with any leaks in the outer skin. Then see about power so we can check appliances. Plumbing is next . Axles made it the 50 miles drive home and we have a couple of years to deal with that. When we look at axles we'll replace tires as well. Bearings are good.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24 Rear Door
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
My big peice of advice would be this…….

DON'T rip it all apart YET. Take time to fully discover what needs work and fully understand all the effort and hours needed to do what is required.
If you want to continue, fall in love first, understand that she will do her best to thwart your efforts at every turn, but if you have the desire, you will succeed, even if you find yourself taking three steps back.
Be prepared to use new technology and technics to solve very old problems and be prepared to change your mind ten times over before settling on a course of action.
By taking her apart and putting her back together you will understand all her nuances and every nook and cranny. You and your Argosy (or Airstream) will have no secrets.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
My favorite bit of advice so far and so much good advice to be had and badly needed thank you!

So grateful to have found this site and that it exists!

Lee
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
https://www.facebook.com/jawbone.ken...6839482&type=3

Here's a link to the facebook album I put up the other day. More to follow, these don't show the exterior damage very well where a branch hit the roof over the bathroom.
First priority here to me is repair/replace dented roof area and seal any leaks. everything else follows.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Facebook is not cooperating.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Jacksonville , Arkansas
Argo, it's working here. I will try a different way soon though.