Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
New axles

Having noticed a couple of popped rivets and remembering a lot of items knocked about on last weeks trip I think it's time to replace the axles. There is a lot of info available here but not that much regarding Minuets.
I have a 1979 7.3 Argosy Minuet.
The questions are:

1. Does anyone know the original load rating of the axles? Can't read the plates. Should I get slightly heavier axles? The dry weight is 3200#.
2. Does anyone know of a supplier of Dexter or Axis axles in or near VA? Or any other recommendations?
3. Are the shocks really necessary?

Mechanically the job doesn't seem that difficult. I think it's mostly getting
the correct plates and drilling pattern.
I'll also be replacing the hubs brakes etc. All new.
Suggestions?
Tks
Paul
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Contact Colin Hyde, he is in New York. He can make the recommendations for the axles you need.
Colin Hyde Trailer Restoration, Plattsburgh, NY
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You should get loaded axles (comes with bearings, hubs, brakes) since they are normally cheaper then buying the parts separately. The important number for the weight of the axles is the Gross Weight Rating (if you don't know that then the fully loaded ready to travel weight is next best). With 3200# dry weight I would GUESS 4200-4800# and say 2500# axles would be good.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
tarnished
This was the first indicator of bad axles(solidified rods) was the poped rivets at approximately the rear axle. Then I saw some tel-tale grey rings around some of the interior(small) rivets. Then the roll towel in the galley being unrolled and other stuff moving around in the interior and OH YES,all that hard ride stripped the full length mirror off the back of the bath-room door and the was the last straw.With the 1 ton I had to use a 4inch drop ball mount to make the trailer level.I think Colin Hyde is your best bet considering where your are. My axles are Henshen,which I purchase thru ANDY on the west coast. I was fortunute to be able to go to the factory(arranged by Andy) and put them on my own truck. I installed them myself so I save shipping and installation costs. After installation I sold the 4inch drop hitch as that is the highth I gained and didnt need it anymore,I just use a standard Reese Dual Cam(old style). We leave stuff on the galley counter and on the table and its there when we arrive at our distination. You will not be sorry you made this investment. It will also change the up-front ride for you. I also agree that I would purchase complete axles.Everything is new and yes have the shock mounts welded on while you are at it. New shocks if needed are not that expensive and your trailer will thank you for them
GOOD LUCK
ROGER
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I can second giving Colin Hyde a call. He took care of all the details for me when I needed a new axle for my Bambi II. The axles can be drop shipped directly to you or the shop of your choosing from the factory if you don't want to make the drive up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
You don't need to go to upstate NY. I just had mine done at Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore last weekend. He did a great job and replaced it while I waited. He also gave me a great deal.

Ace in PA
TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
You are correct. It is not rocket science if you can read a tape measure. I replaced two axles on my 31' trailer. Ordered Dexter axles from the local wheel and tire place. They make each axle according to your measurements. Just make sure you get the measurements right. No do-overs.
I got axles a little heaver than the originals. The only issue that I had was that the new bolts were bigger than the old bolts. I didn't have a drill big enough to bore the new holes.
My local mechanic fixed me up. I changed them out myself.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Tarnished, if you want to install them yourself, look at Redneck Trailer, they sell Dexter axles for the Airstream, they have 20 locations nationwide, maybe one is near you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
Update:
Ordered the axles from Colin on Wed. Hopefully they'll be here in 3 wks and we wont miss the color this fall. Inland, and Franks in Baltimore were helpful but Colin gave all the answers quickly. Prices received were close.
Now to get ready to install them. Not something I'm overly enthusiastic about being almost 69. Gotta find a young guy somewhere.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Good luck, keep us posted. I am 73, still deciding if I do it, or hire it out. The older I get the lazier I get.LOL
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wanted to make a note; I am not an axle salesman. I have to buy them from someone else just like all of you do. I am a restoration shop and replacing axles is just one of many services we provide. In the past few weeks, I received dozens of calls for axles. Somehow, people have gotten the impression that I sell axles. I just wanted to clear the air with that. I would love to install axles for you all, but I am just a middle man for a middle man to the manufacturer.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Frank, I am 61 with a trashed back. I got my axle thru Colin. I decided not to chance hurting myself more by attempting the swap. I hired it out to a local shop that had experience with Airstream axles. Colin had the axle drop shipped directly to the shop. They did the job in about 2 hours and charged me a flat rate of 2 hours labor. A person with a good back, a friend, a set of jack stands and the proper tools good easily do the job in my opinion. It is very straight forward and in the case of my axle did require the drilling of a couple of holes.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Axles

Some axle dealers stock axles, many don't.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Axles

Freight charges can add considerable cost to the price of axles.

Sometimes axles can be picked up at a distributor that's nearby, saving the entire cost of freight.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would have spent more on gas by driving to pick up my axle than the commercial address freight charges were. It was a better deal all around for me the way I did it. No regrets at all with buying my axle thru Colin.