Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
New Argosy owners!

We picked up our 76 Argosy at Bat Cave on Monday, and after a few issues with it (the hot water tank leaked, but will be replaced) and we had to bypass it so we would have water, the furnace needs serviced, but we found a little ceramic heater that works just fine, and the refrigerator wouldn't work on electricity but works great on propane; we are really enjoying it. We haven't hauled it home to Missouri yet, still at a KOA in North Carolina, but towing it out of those switchbacks and hairpin curves from Bat Cave was no problem with our Ford f 150.The interior is pretty good, not too much to be done there, but she does need a new paint job and a bit of other exterior work. Everything else works fine, no leaks so far detected. Kind of a funky smell coming from the oven but haven't really investigated to see if it is the pilot light not lit or a dead mouse somewhere, or just needs a good cleaning. That will wait until we get home where the shop vac and all my cleaning stuff are.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
B&D
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
Hope you enjoy. Keep us posted and pics are always wanted.

B&D Indiana
B&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Welcome to the forum and to Argosy ownership. Best wishes as you finish your journey home.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Best of luck with the Argosy trailer. Krylon Ivory gloss in a spray can is a good touch up choice for a paint fix. Make sure the oven control valve is turned to the "pilot off position", not just the off position. Off only is actually "Pilot On" and means propane is entering the oven whether the pilot is lit or not.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I will post pictures as soon as I get them downloaded from the camera, at least I will try to. thanks, will check the oven control valve. I don't think the pilot is lit. We start out in the morning for home, can't wait to get there. It's been cold and rainy in NC!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Congratulations on your new trailer.
Did you go on up over the mountain to Asheville, or did you come back out, and up the Interstate?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Congratulations on picking up your Argosy. Making this trailer your own is going to be fun. Bob and I had such a good time working on our Argosy that we just can't find it in our hearts to sell it. We have the Sovereign now, but the Twink was our first project and still our first love. Let us see those pictures.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
So far the only place we've towed it is from Bat Cave to Swannanoa to this KOA east of Asheville, but when we came down here we came across the mountains on 40 and will probably go back the same way, it looks like the best route.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
so far we're loving the Argosy, with the front dinette and the back double bed, it is just the right setup for us. Can't wait until we get home and we can really start working on it in ernest, tweaking everything! by the way, Bob and Judy, I love the way you replaced the tambour under the sink, we are going to have to do something with it because it is in really bad shape.Building doors and using the tambour in the centers is an option I like.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Well we are more than halfway home with our Argody, it is making the trip with few problems, the main one being that in the driving rain we were going thru, a little water leaked under the front window but I think that should be easily fixed once we get home. I think the weather stripping is gone. The only other problem we had this morning was when we found the water tank was full, and overflowing. It appears a check valve, or the water pump, one or the other, malfunctioned somehow and the city water that we were hooked to, flowed into the tank. An RV repairman who just happened to be in the campground where we stayed said he thought the water pump had a crack in it from not being properly winterized. So it looks like that will have to be replaced. Needless to say we are dry camping tonight. Except for the fact that it rained all day, I guess you couldn't actually say it was dry. the good news, it appears that nothing else leaked.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Generally, the check valve in in the water pump. If you replace the pump, you will be replacing the check valve at the same time.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Well, maybe the check valve, but since we had quite a puddle under the pump, the repairman thought it might be the pump. I think he told Jim how to test for it to see if the pump itself was leaking.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
The rain is moving away from you and tomorrow should be a good day for tracking down your problems. Water pumps are not expensive, so if that's your problem it should be an easy fix. The Tambour door problems plagued us for about 2 years until we gave up and replaced all the horizontal ones. There was the big one under the kitchen sink and the little one under the bathroom sink. It's a relief to just be able to open a door and access more storage room. Maybe it's not "original"; however, it makes life easier for us and that's what really matters. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you get home. That's a long trip with just a couple of problems. Our Argosy lost it's brakes and lights on the trip home from El Paso, Texas. Actually the brakes did sort of work, they locked up every time you tried to back the trailer. The A/C stopped working on our first camping trip, but after almost 30 years of service it needed to be retired. Things will happen, but the Argosy and you will probably make it another 30 years.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Congratulations!

Hi Isadora,

Check all the connections on the electric side. The fridge in my ’67 Trade Wind quit working, but when I looked at the thermostat below the unit behind the drop-down cover (it’s a 1967, after all) the wire lugs were corroded. After cleaning, it worked perfectly again. Still.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations!!

You will love owning an Airstream and it sounds like you have the right attitude to get the job done.

Post pictures when you get them.....we all love to see pics!!

Time to change your profile from looking to they type of trailer you have.

Welcome!!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I think we are going to enjoy working on it, we made it home safe and sound and got it backed into our back driveway (and it's a tight fit) with a minimum of swearing (not on my part). Nothing else went wrong, everything went perfectly except for the loss of a hubcap and a lens on one of the running lights, but they need replaced anyway. The fridge worked well on propane, maybe too well as it was freezing everything and resisted being turned down, so we will look at the thermostat. My husband, who has never worked on an Airstream in his life, said over lunch, before we even had this thing home, "maybe we should look for another small Airstream to restore when we get this one done." I think he has a case of aluminitis, what do you think? Are there shots for that? LOL! Or should I just shoot him now? I think he may have found a retirement hobby! Help!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
argosy picture

I'm trying to post a picture to see if it works for me. AhHA! I figured it out, this is a picture of the inside of our Argosy. Now I'm excited, I can add pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3193.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	58322  
Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
dinette view