Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Royal Oaks , California
New Argosy owner could use some guidance

Well, I did it, I bought my first A/S today a 1979 27 ft. Argosy and I could use some advice. There's two issues and I'm having a hard time knowing which direction to go in. Any input would be appreciated, here goes...

#1. Polishing verses painting, I've been reading the threads about Argosy's not having the best quality aluminum. I have someone who says that really doesn't matter you can polish any metal to make it look good but then again if painting it will require a little less maintenance down the line which would be better? Does anyone have an idea of costs differences as well as time requirements between polishing and painting. I'm planning on doing the work, for the most part, myself.

#2. This trailer doesn't have the grey and black tanks that I'm used to om my ###5th wheel but has a pipe that can hook up directly to a sewer outlet. While that's fine if I'm somewhere that has a sewer to hook up to, if I'm boon-docking or someplace without access, is it smarter to see if I can order the tanks and install them or should I possibly go with a composting toilet and not worry about black tank drainage (although that doesn't solve the grey water issue and I also don't have a fresh water tank that I'm aware of either. If I do go ahead and try to install tanks, are there tanks that fit the Argosy exactly and where might I be able to order them from. Also how big of an undertaking would it be to get tanks and get them installed?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and guidance I have a feeling I'll be tapping into this resource quite a bit over the next few months.
cvaz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaz831 View Post
Well, I did it, I bought my first A/S today a 1979 27 ft. Argosy and I could use some advice. There's two issues and I'm having a hard time knowing which direction to go in. Any input would be appreciated, here goes...

#2. This trailer doesn't have the grey and black tanks that I'm used to om my ###5th wheel but has a pipe that can hook up directly to a sewer outlet. While that's fine if I'm somewhere that has a sewer to hook up to, if I'm boon-docking or someplace without access, is it smarter to see if I can order the tanks and install them or should I possibly go with a composting toilet and not worry about black tank drainage (although that doesn't solve the grey water issue and I also don't have a fresh water tank that I'm aware of either. If I do go ahead and try to install tanks, are there tanks that fit the Argosy exactly and where might I be able to order them from. Also how big of an undertaking would it be to get tanks and get them installed?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and guidance I have a feeling I'll be tapping into this resource quite a bit over the next few months.
That trailer originally came with the 3 tanks, Are you sure they are gone?
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
This one appears to have no tanks
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/apa/5793085437.html
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My parent's '75 Argosy 28 had both black and grey tanks. The must have been removed during the remodeling.
The end caps on Argosys are steel. If the paint is removed, the end caps will not be the same color as the aluminum body.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Welcome and shared concern

Congrats on your new Argosy!! We are picking up our new to us Argosy this week. Our 1975 has a fresh water tank up front under the couch, a grey tank under one of the beds in the middle of the trailer and a black tank under the toilet in the rear of the trailer. From the other trailers we looked at and the 1973 Airstream we owned for several years I can let you know that "sewer" systems in the 70's are different then what you are use to in a more modern trailer. I have seen both the black and grey drain out of separate valves underneath the trailer and I have seen them joined together in a single exit point.

We are thinking that the condition of a tank made in the 70's could be questionable so we are going to replace our tanks with newer tanks.

As far as painting goes search Google for Argosy exterior paint and you will see that there are some pretty amazing and creative paint jobs out there. I have also seen Argosy's that are polished except for the end caps which were painted. IMHO I dislike the Argosy's that were polished and painted. I think they look amazing with a paint job that is done right. search the forum for Boatdoc he has a DIY system that sounds interesting but I know we are going to do a two tone paint with a darker shade below the belt line and a lighter shade above in automotive or aviation paint.

Good luck with your find and keep us posted on your decision.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
If I had an Argosy, I'd paint it with something like the Multiceramics paint that I used on the top of my Airstream from supertherm.net. It's about $100/gallon. I painted mine 1 1/2 years ago, still looks great. Even on the hottest day, it's still cool to the touch! The polished Airstreams sure look pretty, but a pure white trailer will be much cooler inside.

Shame about lack of tankage. You could always go with a composting head, and a subtle dribble for the gray water...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
New Argosy owner could use some guidance

Don't know about the tanks but you might want to visit this thread for some inspiration on paint jobs for your Argosy. Congrats and good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...obs-88994.html
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
paint

the right color silver w fine metal flake looks amazing!

then pic a trim color to make it pop and you have a winner.

All AS products after 74 had 3 tanks
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Guelph , Ontario
Congrats on your new purchase! I'd love to see pictures. We are picking up our newest addition on Friday.

I have no input about the tanks but I vote for paint over polish. To me, the fact that they are painted is one of the great things about Argosys. It makes them unique and customizable. Plus it's much less labour intensive and more cost effective. I'd rather spend my time camping than polishing.

Just my 2 cents.
Kelmac2821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Royal Oaks , California
Wow, great ideas !!

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Yes. I have decided to go ahead and paint my Argosy (her old owner named her Rosy and I'm not used to calling my vehicles names so bear with me while I figure that one out). Anyway from everything I've read, painting seems the way to go plus I don't want to worry every time the weather gets bad about polishing, etc. Plus it'll give me the opportunity to seal all the seams, windows, vents and what not

As far as the tanks, I haven't as yet really taken a good look under the trailer, kind of going off the sellers information, but I did remember that my daughter works for a plumbing company so I'm going to see about getting a couple guys to do some side work and help me out with that.

This trailer was remodeled and was pretty much gutted and had the basics redone. The floor plan is open and the finishes still need to be done, so I can really make it exactly how I want it. I have some thoughts...

My ex husband always used to say I had the start of a racehorse and the finish of a mule (that explains the ex part) so we'll see. As I've gotten older I've found I'm much more capable than I ever imagined,when a lot of my friends are slowing down, I'm just getting started so we will have to see. Could be fun, might be a disaster, but needless to say, I got my Airstream and I've wanted one for years.

Thanks again, everyone !!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Ames , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
If I had an Argosy, I'd paint it with something like the Multiceramics paint that I used on the top of my Airstream from supertherm.net. It's about $100/gallon. I painted mine 1 1/2 years ago, still looks great. Even on the hottest day, it's still cool to the touch! The polished Airstreams sure look pretty, but a pure white trailer will be much cooler inside.
Hi! Do you recall how many gallons you used to paint your Argosy? I've never heard of this paint but I'm very intrigued! And hopefully painting in the next two months.
RachBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachBets View Post
Hi! Do you recall how many gallons you used to paint your Argosy? I've never heard of this paint but I'm very intrigued! And hopefully painting in the next two months.

They only painted the top of their camper not the whole thing. How many gallons you need depends on how big your camper is. My guess is 3 gallons for a 26 and plus airstream. Supertherm should have sq ft coverage on their website. [emoji1]
Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
paint

Hi, Congrats on your new argosy! We stripped the paint on the lower half,left the aluminum as a mill finish (normal finish for aluminum,no polishing) sprayed a clear on top of the mill finish, Left the previous owners paint (white) on top. we will strip the top and repaint a off white and be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0836.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	306382  
backroads73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
paint

I did not see this thread is 1 1/2 years old
Old 03-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Backroads I'm glad you posted that is a beautiful picture and nice tow vehicle.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by backroads73 View Post
Hi, Congrats on your new argosy! We stripped the paint on the lower half,left the aluminum as a mill finish (normal finish for aluminum,no polishing) sprayed a clear on top of the mill finish, Left the previous owners paint (white) on top. we will strip the top and repaint a off white and be done.

Absolutely gorgeous! Is that a 1970 Chevy CST? Absolutely beautiful Argosy! To be honest - I'm jealous of Argosys! I love my AS Flying Cloud and the aluminum (in and out) is beautiful - but the amazing creative things you can do with the Argosy as a "canvas" are stunning! There's a great thread here somewhere of great Argosy paint jobs (the link below may or may not be it :-) ).

Your tow vehicle is awesome too! I had (and regret getting rid of) a 1970 Chevy CST-10 with a 350 and TH350 transmission. Not sure it would be a good tow vehicle for my 2012 27FB with 1000# tongue and 5800# loaded weight but damn that is a sharp looking driver!!!

Really beautiful!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...obs-88994.html
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
Paint

Hittenstiehl, Thanks for the complement. My wife and I are enjoying the setup alot. Thanks Dwayne

SteveSueMac, Thanks for the complement. The Truck is a 1972 Chevy Custom Deluxe C20 (3/4 ton) with the 350/TH350 combo 4:11 rear gear (only 10 mpg)
I installed a transmission cooler, pulls great, very stable ( I do not get blown around by the wind or traffic) Headed for N Carolina this spring and maybe out west this summer. Those CST are nice trucks (should of held on to it)
The C10 is a little lite. but the C20 would be ok for your 27FB IMO. I have seen the thread on the argosy paint jobs they are stunning! Thanks Dwayne
Old 03-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by backroads73 View Post
I did not see this thread is 1 1/2 years old
Nice lookin' rig and TV!

It takes time to get these projects done so IMHO no harm in resurrecting old posts. I just got the title done for my '78 and am towing it across the country so I can really get started with it. I'm thinking of grey with black accent stripe for mine but your stripped bottom is giving me some ideas....

Thanks,

JOhn
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Royal Oaks , California
quite sur