Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #1

1976 Argosy 26
Crescent City , California
New Argosy owner

Greetings group, as of today I'm the proud new owner of a 1976 Argosy 26. I've always loved the design and style of the airsteams and can't believe my luck that I actually was able to buy one. I think I negotiated a great price as it's been partially restored already but there are some minor cosmetic things to do still. I'm glad it's not completely restored as that would leave me no room for personal touches. I've been looking over the different posts for hours and you guys sure seem to be a wealth of knowledge and will draw on your experience in the future. I pick up my new baby tomorrow and will post some photos of my own soon.
Sheepmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! It sounds like you found a nice Argosy! We can't wait for pictures. Your going to have a blast.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Welcome! I too have an Argosy 26. Mine unfortunately is currently in mostly pieces. Let me know if you have any questions under the surface area as I am very familiar with all systems from the skeleton out given mine's current state. LOL
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome fellow Arogonaut!

Photos, photos, photos. We'll demand the photos, then quiz you on the details. Mine's all about "personal touches" too... undoing some curtains, finishing out a few details, making it mine. Happy trails!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Welcome!
How long were you searching. That, (for many of us) is a journey as well.
What else can you tell us about it?
We need a story you know!
Congrats on your purchase!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

1976 Argosy 26
I made the 200 mile drive over to where the PO had the Argosy and when I drove up, I jumped out of the truck and gave it a hug. I just loved it even more. She even had the original owners manual and paperwork of repairs she'd made. It was better condition than the photos I'd seen showed. I was told the PO to my PO was a little old lady who painted it with a paint brush and house paint!! But she had it professionally striped and repainted.
So I backed up to it, hooked it up, went to plug in the electric and no joy. We had incompatible connectors but after several stops at part stores, U-Haul had an adapter (I lucked out at it was almost 8pm). So we got underway for the 200 mile drive home. Right away I had to get on the Interstate for a few miles and I was a little leary of going 65 so I putted along at 48mph but was thankful when my exit appeared after only a few miles. After that it was all 55mph all the way home on a nice wide road but very windy. We arrived home just after midnight and parked it across from the house and went to bed. This morning I went out to inspect how it made the trip and I discovered the cap/cover on the roof that covered the exhaust fan over the stove had blown off so I had to put tape until I can locate a new cover. Also the forward part of the wall that housed the frig had come lose but I think that's from the particle board coming apart that made the shelf above the frig.
Other than that, it pulled very nicely and with ease. I'm over the moon having actually found it, made it home and now have it! In the next few days I'll start with removing the funky wallpaper the PO put up and putting overhead lights back in and things like that. Lots of cosmetic improvements. I do think I'm going to investigate getting the box in my truck for controlling the brakes on the trailer. I do want to add the rock guard/sunglasses since the windows are original and put an awning. I'm posting the photo I took just minutes after I hooked it up and was about to start the trip home last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	135656  
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Argosy owner

Greetings Sheepmate!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

The Argosy 26 probably has one of the best balances between size and comfort. My Overlander which has a very similar floorplan has been my home for months at a time, and I have never felt confined or claustraphobic in the coach - - and the Argosy tends to have an even more open feeling as a result of its Panoramic Windows in the front.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin

P.S.: It looks like your coach is ready for camping - - a real plus in the Vintage ranks among newly acquired coaches.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Nice looking trailer you've got there! I'm still looking for an Argosy but have my sights set on a local one -- will be checking it out tomorrow (but it's a MH not a trailer)... I'm looking for one I can put in the driveway (max 24') so I don't have to pay storage fees..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
argosy

Was that the Argosy that was in Roseburg ? I looked at it a few weeks ago.Looked nice.
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #10

1976 Argosy 26
Yes, I picked it up in Roseburg. It's much better in person than the photos I saw ahead of time. I'm super excited with it and I'm planning my first trip in 2 months time up the Oregon coast.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Republic , Missouri
I think this is what Mine is supposed to look like! I have had mine a week and it it primer gray and ugly. Ripping out front half of floor and replacing now.
fixer76 is offline   Reply With Quote