Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2002, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Argosy owner!

Hi gang,

I just bought a 20' Argosy Minuet, 6 metre in not bad shape. It is a 1977 model. The floor is not plywood, but styrafoam insulation sandwiched between heavy gauge aluminum. The owner before the owner I bought it from, who had it for some 15 years, says that he believes this was done at the factory. He is in his mid 80's now, and sure had fond memories of the trailer. The missing years are about six after the trailer was built. Some knowledgable folks have told me this must be a restoration. I am just curious.

I really like the Argosy. It needs new axles, but I have all winter to sort that out. The person I bought it from was pretty hard on it.

Thanks for the informative posts!
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:43 PM   #2

Photos...Photos!

Congratulations on your "New" Minuet. The floor system sounds very interesting. What is the interior floor covering? I have been reading this forum for on and off for months and I don't think I have read of such flooring material.

Have fun with it.
Notorius
Old 11-02-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Welcome!!

Hello Barbwire- As you can tell from our user name, we too have an Argosy. Ours is a 6.7 (22') model, 1978. We have had it since Sept. when my husband drove to Canada to pick it up. We love it, even though it is showing some of its years! It is still in great working order considering. We are interested in your unusual floor! We may have to replace at least part of ours close to the door as it has rotted. Would love to see pics of it, if possible - course it is probibly covered with something??!! You didnt give your location? Secret? Its always fun to find out where all these AS are living and the local conditions they are exposed to. If you are trying to solve the curiosity re your floor and whether the AS factory did it, you might try calling them or e-mail and see if techs there might know if that type of floor was ever special ordered or something? Anyway, nice to have you around. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!

We have an Argosy MH and are very aware of the Argosy history. Argosies, as you probably know, were the test bed for new ideas to Airstream. AS tried the ideas on the Argosy line, and if they were a success they were offered in the AS line.

That floor might have been original, but you might not ever find confirmation of it. As I understand it, there are very few records of all the different things AS tried. Also, the floor could have been a custom order.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new Minuet.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi guys,

I have pulled the carpet back in several sections, and looked under the grey water tank, undid part of the underbelly, and looked in the battery compartment. The whole floor is aluminum. At first I thought someone had just laid some aluminum over old rotten plywood, but there is not a bit to be found. There are a couple of spots where the plumbing goes through the floor to drain things. 2 sheets of heavy aluminum sanwiching about an inch of styrafoam. This has sagged a bit over the years, but still feels solid enough to me. Under the table, where there was no traffic, it is very solid.

I'm in Montana. I'm still figuring out the forum. I just did a quick sign up. I will figure out how to post pictures. I do have a digital camera. I will have more time later this evening. If anyone can give me a quick rundown on how to put a photo up it will be appreciated. Got some busy stuff to do.

Later...
Old 11-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Posting Photos, etc.

Here's a link to a thread that answers questions regarding posting photos:

Link to Photo Posting Q&A

Also, try clicking on the "forum" button at the top of the home page screen. The button is second from the left in a row of buttons beginning "home", "forum", "usercp" and ending with "search".

On this new page you will see the threads ordered by category and sub-category. There is a section under "Airstream Community Forums" titled "About these forums, How-To's & more..." that will be a help to you.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

This is a start. No real dents. Needs some paint on the forward tin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argusy-019-for-airstream.jpg
Views:	1558
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	774  
Old 11-02-2002, 07:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Argosy owner!

Greetings Brabwire!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming and Argosy ownership. I have been a Vintage Airstreamer since the mid 1990s, but just acquired my 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre in August.

It good to see the photo of your coach as I finally have something to show my dealer regarding where the spare tire is supposed to be mounted - - he concurred with me that the option was offered but had no idea where to install one - - mine had the original spare tire and wheel with no monting location. The original owner of 25- years usually towed with a pickup so he stored the spare in the pickup bed - - there just isn't enough room in my Cadillac's trunk to carry a spare tire for the trailer. I am also glad to see where the Argosy emblem should be mounted in front - - mine was removed but never re-installed after the front and rear domes were repainted some 10 years ago - - the emblem came with the trailer so I don't have to go on a scavenger hunt for that item. So far, the only parts that I seem to be truly missing are the emblems that were attached ahead of the Minuet 6.0 Metre script on the sides of my trailer - - the backing material is there, but I have yet to see what kind of emblems were attached in those locations.

Curiosity is getting the best of me, is that a radio antenna on the streetside between the front wing window and the first side window? I have been considering installing a radio in my Minuet and didn't know where the factory might have routed the antenna or for that fact where the radio might have been located in the trailer. From the picture, it appears that you have the orange/gold/tan interior package - - at least I thought that I recognized the countertop in the photo. Incidentally, is your Minuet the front dinette model or the twin gaucho model? Mine is the twin gaucho model but I understand that it was a special order option.

I am still waiting to get my Minuet back from the shop - - it isn't clear yet whether it will just be a bearing replacement or a bearing replacement with brake rebuild - - will find out early next week. I am also going to check to see if there is anything unusual in its floor structure - - I know that it is solid throughout - - my '64 Overlander taught me to check for that issue before purchase - - but I didn't explore to see what the structure was like. It is like taking a trip back in time as the interior is absolutely original - - a bit worn, but that will be taken care of with some of Arlene Fowler's restoration talent in the not too distant future. I haven't had my Minuet home long enough since I purchased it to get some pictures - - the only chances I have had were during gloomy weather - - or while it has been at my mechanic's where it is parked in the back-lot with a background that rather resembles a junk yard.

I am beginning to think that half of the fun of owning an Argosy (at least the Minuets) is discovering just how many nuances there are when comparing units of similar age.

Good luck with your Minuet and welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming and Argosy ownership!!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I am sure that the spare tire mount here was done by a previous owner. There was some talk about this in another thread elsewhere on this board. The Airstream tire mount was underneath the front of the coach. If I ever find that thread again I will post it here.

The PO bent the jack off the front of this one, and mounted a new one on the side of the tongue.

I will be posting more pictures. How about some more pictures from the rest of you?

If you want a closup of anything, just ask.

This one has the original aluminum tanks with the new connectors. Also the side windows are plastic instead of glass. I heard they did this on the 79, and looks like on the 77 too.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Here is part of the interior. The black line is not a crack, but some coaxial cable the PO installed. The orange bar next to the window conceals the power and antenna lead to the radio. My owners manual shows the radio installed in the upper compartment to the front. It should face out. The PO here cut holes on the side of the upper compartment and has the radio and speaker holes through the end peice. Where were the original speakers mounted?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	argosy-interior.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	776  
Old 11-05-2002, 03:48 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello Barbwire - I just got a chance to look at this thread since you posted your pics. Fun to see!! I keep hoping to get my husband to sit down and load some pics of ours into the forum. We only have pics right now of pre-restoration as we really have not had time to before winter set in. Just having brake attachment and wiring added was $$$$$$$ although when we towed it to its winter home, it was great. Ours to is all original. The color scheme was gold, brown and beigh. Our goucho cushion material is getting pretty bad, will have to replace and as i said it looks like floor in front of door will have to be worked on.

Our radio is also mounted inside front upper cabinet with hole on side cut out. The speakers are just laying inside the cabinet right now and we have no outside antenna. We also have dinette instead of front/side goucho setup. We might like to see a close up of how your dinette table is mounted to wall. We have some kind of swing arm arrangement, but Price (hub) says it is awkward to put up and down.

We have the medallions on the outside of ours. If we get to it this winter and remember the camera, I will try to get them posted. I am excited that there are more Argosy owners coming on board. I like seeing all the AS, but like sharing info and learning more about our little Minny Driv'r. (Silly me!!) Leigh
Old 11-07-2002, 10:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hi Leigh,
The table can be a pain to put up and down if you don't have the cushions out of the way. I have not played with this much so far since there are so many more important things to work on. I have found if I remove the skinny cushion first, and then raise the side cushions half way there is not much of a problem. One lifts the end of the table so the clips on the back of the table release from the wall mounts, and down it comes. My table leg needs a little work since it will not lock in the retracted position. Also I put the skinny cushion in last. Just seems easier.

I am looking for a break controller right now. The two most popular seem to be the Jordan Ultima 2020, and the Tekonsha Prodigy. I'm still doing research on this. What break controller did you end up with?

I basically have no color scheme. I have no idea why the PO decided to spend $350 to recover in dark blue. The original orange carpeting is still in the compartments.

If you get to the VACList do a search for 'boat'. There was talk about using epoxy to repair the wood at the door. It is the same method they use on the hulls of big wooden boats.

Here is an excerpt from Mr. Will Henshall from that list. I was saving some of this before I realized my floor was all aluminum. It even runs underneath the walls.

The other method.

3) Using runny epoxy to slowly rebuild sections using the rotten wood as
an initial former, with temporary pieces underneath to make molds, which
is exactly how old wooden boats are repaired.

I was really put off using epoxy by talking to a few good folk. It is a
dangerous chemical and if not done right is actually not strong enough.
It is hard to get the strengthened new bits tied into the walls
properly. You have to have used epoxy before, you MUST rent breathing
gear and the fumes will off gas for about 2 weeks at least.

If I had researched this avenue more I actually WOULD have used this
method by the way in my case over the complete floor replace. Look on
line for places like http://www.rotdoctor.com/ for more info. Re the
strength issues - hey they use this on old wooden boats - think about
the strength required there and the consequences of failure out at sea.
If you can fix up a boat hull, I figure you can fix up a trailer floor.
I did a lot of fiberglass work as a kid with my dad.

The original thread also spoke of repairing sections by replacing parts of the floor. Very difficult.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 11-07-2002, 10:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I forgot the picture!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table hinge.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	789  
Old 11-07-2002, 12:21 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Good info

Thanks Barbwire -

Your hinge arrangement looks just the same. I wil have Price look at your post to see if he follows that routine for up and down.

Your leads to floor fix sounds interesting and sound!! Did not go there yet, but certainly will. So nice to have additionaly help over some of these "bumps".

I asked Overlander 64 if he would post a list of all he has accomplished or wishes to in the future as he seems to have done alot already and having it all in one place to refer to would be really nice.

So much to learn, so little time. LEIGH
Old 11-07-2002, 02:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
New Argosy owner!

Greetings Barbwire!

I noticed your question regarding brake controllers. Over the years, I have used a number of different models. I currently have a Tekonsha Voyager (described on the following link)

http://www.brakecontroller.com/voyagerandvoyagerxp.htm

It is an entirely satisfactory unit, and works well with the dash arrangment in my Suburban.

My true favorite, however, is the unit that I purchased for my Cadillac. It has the optional remote "panic" button that allows for easier manual application of the trailer brakes in an emergency situation. This is an absolute necessity in my Cadillac as the only workable mounting place is so low on the dash that the controller cannot be comfortably reached from the driver's seat. This controller is produced by Hayes-Lemmerz and its model name is: Micro Control HD Plus #81750 (described on the following link)

http://aftermarket.hayes-lemmerz.com...l_hd_plus.html

I had an earlier version of this on my Dodge Coronet that I used as a tow vehicle until the early 1990s. The optional remote "Panic" button is what sold me on this unit originally and is one of the reasons that I continue to prefer it to this day.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-08-2002, 09:21 AM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Brakes

Hi Barbwire - I had to wait till today to answer your brake control ?? because I didn't know.

We have the Tekonsha Voyager also. Price says it works on some kind of inertia (internal pendulum) so more pressure applied to vehicle brakes swings pendulum and activates trailer brakes. He has been very happy with it. Cost here $89.17 plus install. Dont know about other control that Kevin has, but he has provided links to check out, so I would go with what seems right for you. Later. Leigh
Old 11-08-2002, 10:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
brake controller

Leigh,
When I asked Inland RV Andy what brake controller to use on my '77 Excella 500 31' with hydraulic/vacuum disc brakes, he told me a hayes-lemmerz Energize III. I purchased one from him and have been happy with it. It has the same inertia pendulum set-up and also senses the amount of brake pressure I am applying.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:17 PM   #18

1987 Argosy 32 ft

We have this 87 Argosy which we bought to live in while we built our house. I have not found anyone that can give me any accuate information on it, including the dealer. When I bought it the dealer described it to me as a silver Airstream, we could not find it on the lot at Lazy Days RV anywhere. We finally found the person who preped it and the sales person was as surprised as I was to find out that it was painted. That was in 1998, I have not seen another one since, and I have to convince people that it is an Airstream. I would like to know more about it , anybdy?
toby-622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:50 PM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hello Toby 622 - I am going to suggest a name I picked up on a thread called "Rock Guards". Charlie Burke is a dealer in Boise, Idaho who has an Argosy. His named was mentioned on the other thread because we were trying to ferret out info about rock guards to fit Argosy Minuet trailers. I called him and he was very nice and helpful! His is a regular Argosy (don't know year), and he might help you out on your quest. His # is 800 345-6651. Happy trails. Leigh
Old 11-13-2002, 02:28 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
New Argosy owner!

Greetings Toby-622!

Welcome to the world of Vintage (or near Vintage) Airstream/Argosy ownership. You will find a wealth of information both here and elsewhere on the Internet. To fill in some information for you, this is what I have been able to learn from my research:

Argosy production began in 1972 for the 1973 model year - - there are a number of Argosys registered as 1972, but in reality they were intended to be marketed as 1973s. The Argosy continued as a painted Airstream clone from 1973 through 1986 when the box-style aluminum clad Argosy was introduced. My information says that Argosy production ended in 1988.

I don't know whether there was any change in how Argosy serial numbers were formatted between 1978 and 1987 - - assuming there wasn't a change, you can decode your serial number using the following as an example: 20D8V1976

20 - Measurement in feet as advertised in factory literature
D - Bed Arrangement (D=Double T=Twin)
8 - Last digit of the model year of production
V - Versailles, Ohio production plant
1976 - Sequential Production Number

According to all that I have been able to discover, all Argosys were produced in Versailles, Ohio.

The Argosy seemed to be marketed as a division of Airstream much as Cadillac and Oldsmobile are marketed as divisions of General Motors. In fact, the relationship seems to be similar - - the Airstream being a Cadillac and the Argosy being an Oldsmobile or Buick. There are a number of features that were tried out in the Argosy line before they were adopted in the Airstream line. One of the biggest examples would be the motorhome. Argosy had the motorhome for several years before Airstream introduced one in its line.

Argosys may very well be a mystery to many of today's brand X dealers. I have found my nearby Airstream dealer to be quite knowledgeable in regard to my Argosy. My brand X dealer who has been around for more than 30 years was very knowledgeable regarding the Argosy when I dropped by for some brake and bearing work. One of the biggest differences between Airstream and Argosy construction is the galvanized steel domes found at both ends of the Argosy where aluminum would be found on Airstreams. For the most part, Argosy used appliances and components of similar manufacture to those found in an Airstream. One difference was that features standard on an Airstream may very well have been optional on the Argosy.

If you have particular questions regarding your Argosy, don't hesitate to post them. Someone on the list will be able to point you in the direction of answers for most any question. Good Luck with your Argosy, and Enjoy!

Kevin
AIR #827