Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New Argosy member

Liz and myself have recently bought 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0. We have been working on it for past two month, making it ready for our first trip in september. However two items are giving us little problem.

We have Bowen water heater needing replacement for burner and pilot light burner. Could anybody let me know for possible source of spare parts?

Sewer outlet is protruding approvimately 2.5" from the bootom. I am concerned about possible demage to it. I have read about skid wheels but have difficulty with ideas on installation to Argosy. Where can I find the necessary info?

I would appreciate any help.

Ladi
Old 08-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Argosy Member

Greetings Ladi!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
We have Bowen water heater needing replacement for burner and pilot light burner. Could anybody let me know for possible source of spare parts?
I faced the same issue with my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre, and upon further examination, the tank also was found to be corroded nearly to the point of leaking. It might be less expensive in the long-run to replace the entire unit. My dealer, Ace Fogdall RV, replaced the entire unit with a new unit that was an exact fit replacement. The side benefit to replacing with a new unit is the warranty - - I selected the optional three-year warranty so defects will be covered for the next three years.

Quote:
Sewer outlet is protruding approvimately 2.5" from the bootom. I am concerned about possible demage to it. I have read about skid wheels but have difficulty with ideas on installation to Argosy. Where can I find the necessary info?
This is a persisent problem with the 6.0 Metre coach, especially if the ball height is too high or if the DuraTorque axle is worn allowing the coach to sag. I have only seen one Minuet 6.0 Metre with what appeared to be an original sewer termination that was nearly flush with the underbelly. It seems that when repairs are accomplished the length of the drop section is increased - - I have drug three terminator caps off of mine thus far this season - - my terminator with cap extends approximately 1.75" below the bellypan. Two were at very slow speed exiting driveways and there was no damage to the plumbing - - the third was a result of pothole on a city street and that did in excess of $900 in damage. The hazard of placing skid wheels or brackets on the rear of the trailer is increasing the chance of damaging the frame and bodywork at the rear of the coach (this was my dealer's advice when I asked).

I am facing this same problem, and haven't found a real solution when touring with the Suburban as a tow vehicle. As a 3/4 ton 4 X 4, it sits so high that even with the deepest drop drawbar on the Reese hitch the ball height is still at least 1" too high for the Minuet 6.0 Metre. My dealer has checked all other parameters, and the axle is withing tolerances, but I am considering replacement with a slightly higher rated DuraTorque from Inland RV to insure that I have the maximum clearance available with the coach. (When hitched to my '75 Cadillac, the issues is far less as it is possible to get the trailer absolutely level thus increasing the height of the rear bumper by a little more than 1.75".)

Good luck in finding a resolution to your Minuet's clearance problem.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
axle?

I had a 78 Minuet 22' and the sewer connection was an issue as well. I would definitely take a hard look at your axle just as mentioned by OV64. If it is sagged out half as bad as mine was it would surely contribute to low clearance at the sewer outlet. I would stay away from the dolly wheels at the rear bumper, they will cause shell damage.

My original Bowen water heater had given up the ghost some time before I bought it, someone had put in a pilotless ignition Atwood, probably the best thing the previous owner had ever done to it. Strangely enough, my 74 still has the original Bowen, still works and no leaks, knock on wood!!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Just a pic of how the Minuets are supposed to look with new axles. A bit perky, maybe a little high but I am sure it will eventually settle down somewhat. Had to build a step for it after this.

If you look back on the rear end you can see the dump valve stub, they come out from under the belly instead of thru the rear bumper like the similar vintage Airstreams. If you look real, real close you can see the forbidden dolly wheels I eventually removed. I don't own this one anymore.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0012.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2539  
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote